Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/01/new-jersey-school-bans-religious-christmas-music/

New Jersey school bans religious Christmas music

By Todd Starnes/

Todd's American Dispatch/
Published November 01, 2013/
FoxNews.com

RTXV3RO.jpg

Reuters

The angels will not be allowed to hark their herald nor will the little Lord Jesus sleep on the hay after a New Jersey school district announced a ban on all religious Christmas music.

Constance Bauer, the superintendent of the Bordentown Regional School District, posted a message online stating someone had been questioning recent musical selections for the elementary school Christmas concerts.

Pardon me, the school district calls them �winter� concerts.

My guess is that a perpetually offended left-winger became unglued when they heard that little boys and girls might be pa rum pum pum pum.

�Religious music should not be part of the elementary program(s),� Supt. Scrooge wrote in her anti-Christmas screed.

So songs about Frosty, Rudolph and mommy making out with Santa Claus are fine, but harmonizing about round yon virgin will get you put on the naughty list.

So songs about Frosty, Rudolph and mommy making out with Santa Claus are fine, but harmonizing about round yon virgin will get you put on the naughty list.

�It remains the District�s mission to celebrate the rich and wonderful diversity of our children and community and hope that the joy shared through our numerous winter programs will continue to be (a) cherished part of your traditions,� she concluded.

Alliance Defending Freedom, a legal firm specializing in religious liberty cases, fired off a letter to the New Jersey grinches - reminding them that it�s perfectly constitutional to sing �Joy to the World.�

�Schools should not have to think twice about whether they can allow students to perform Christmas carols,� said Legal Counsel Matthew Sharp. �Courts have unanimously upheld their inclusion in school productions--even when songs deal with Christian themes that are naturally a part of the holiday.�

The Alliance Defending Freedom letter explains that �every federal court to examine the issue has determined that including Christmas carols and other religious music in school choir programs fully complies with the First Amendment.�

As a result, the First Amendment requires that the district �remains neutral towards religion and refrains from demonstrating an unconstitutional hostility toward songs with religious origins.�

And besides, folks love to sing about the Baby Jesus as much as they do about hauling out the holly. A 2011 Rasmussen poll found that 79 percent of American adults believe public schools should celebrate religious holidays.

�Misinformation about the First Amendment is frequently what leads to censorship of constitutionally permissible and culturally significant songs performed during Christmas concerts,� added Senior Legal Counsel Jeremy Tedesco. �We urge the Bordentown Regional School District to rescind this new policy and permit religious music to be included among the many non-religious songs performed at school concerts.�

Alliance Defending Freedom is urging the district to see the error of their ways and reverse the ban on religious-themed Christmas music by Nov. 1. Otherwise, I suspect they might find a lump of coal in their stockings -- along with a lawsuit.

How is it possible to have a concert celebrating the Christmas (pardon me, winter) season without singing about the reason for the season?

That�s sort of like opening a barbecue joint and telling the customers they can�t eat pork.

Perhaps the �enlightened� educators of Bordentown should take a swig or two of egg nog instead of getting their Christmas stockings in a bunch.

Pardon me, ahem. I meant to say winter stockings.

Todd Starnes is host of Fox News & Commentary, heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page, and follow him on Twitter.

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
�It remains the District�s mission to celebrate the rich and wonderful diversity of our children and community and hope that the joy shared through our numerous winter programs will continue to be (a) cherished part of your traditions,� she concluded.

As long as you're not Christian that is.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Cool by me as long as my kids don't have to observe Ramadan.

Too far? Obviously. It's my opinion, however, that such mild opposition is nothing. Remember Nero burned saints to light his garden.

Our Lord said that people rejected Him and will His followers, and we'll suffer a lot more than not being able to sing Christmas carols in public schools.

I got a classic winter holiday song they'll allow though:

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One the one hand, meh.

On the other, how do you eat an elephant? One slowly eroded bite at a time

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Diversity as long as it does NOT include Christianity, what BS!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally, it was nice to go to high school music concerts last year and not hear Christian Christmas music. It was also nice that there was much secular Christmas music either.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Personally, it was nice to go to high school music concerts last year and not hear Christian Christmas music. It was also nice that there was much secular Christmas music either.

What would be much nicer is not having to see your face on every thread that contains "Christian" in the title.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

What would be much nicer is not having to see your face on every thread that contains "Christian" in the title.

My face is not on every thread which contains Christian. grin

As the token Pagan somebody has to defend the other side.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The parents should refuse to let their children attend or perform in these "Winter" concerts. Instead they should organize Christmas concerts outside on the school grounds with plenty of religious music. The idiots in charge of the schools have no right to dictate what the children should sing.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or Christians could just send their kids to Christians schools as many parents do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think religious music is beautiful. We should have the kids sing Hannukah and Wiccan Yule tide songs! The more, the merrier!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
We have gone thru this crap at work....

In 1999 when I started my current job we had a "Christmas" party at a local hotel with over 500 employees, great meal, entertainment and Santa came and delivered gifts.

Around 2003 it became a �Holiday� celebration and no more professional entertainment. Managers handed out gifts.

Around 2007 it became a �winter� celebration, then a Year�s end get together and no more gifts.

By 2011 the party was totally dropped, all due to political correctness.

Ted
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Or Christians could just send their kids to Christians schools as many parents do.

You live a dark,cloistered existence, don't you... smirk

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Good Lord, there is cereal everywhere you turn these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I used to think that the idea of homeschooling was pretty strange. But these days, I think it's about the only thing that makes sense.

The public schooling system is a branch of the state,..and the state sucks,...so the schools suck.

Of course, with so many parents working, it's difficult for everyone to home school their kids.

In my opinion, the time for school cooperatives has arrived.

Groups of parents of a like mind could get together,..hire professional teachers that they approve of, and have small private schools for their kids to attend.

Instead of the current type of public schools, the new age public schools could be very small,...maybe 50 students.

The parents of the children could either lease space for the school or have one built.

There's lots of possibilities.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't fret, persecution of the church makes the church grow in numbers and strength. American christians are (as a hole) to complient to bs. More christians need to make a stink like the towel heads do.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can't imagine Christmas without "Silent Night" and a few other Christian Christmas carols.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (264mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 39 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,335
Posts18,506,048
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.