Print Thread
Hop To
X
Xs247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
I picked up my old Winchester 670 30-06 from my parent place after not using in 10 years. It didnt shoot well, but had a crack in the blind magazine, so I put it in a new boyds stock....still didnt shoot well, so I bedded it...thought it might be the scope...put ona weaver grand slam and its still doesnt shoot. Today I tried 168 grn ballistic tips over 56.6-58 grains of IMR 4350. The tightest group was 3", and the largest was closer to 7".
What should I look at next?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crown? You could always rebore it to 35 Whelen?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting technique. Are you allowing the bags to do ALL of the work of holding the rifle, with the only contact points being your shoulder and trigger finger? Are the bags placed under the stock and not touching the barrel? Are you allowing the barrel to cool between shots and between groups?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How did it shoot 10 years ago? If the new stock isn't binding somewhere, I'd have to imagine it is a problem in the metal. Fracture, corrosion, fouling, etc.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Have you looked at the bore carefully?

IC B2

X
Xs247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
It shot ok. To be honest, 10 years ago it was sighted in and it shot deer, didnt see much time shooting it.
I'm thinking I will try a different bullet before I go too far. I have never had a gun not shoot ballistic tips, but its worth a shot anyway.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Xs247
I picked up my old Winchester 670 30-06 from my parent place after not using in 10 years. It didnt shoot well, but had a crack in the blind magazine, so I put it in a new boyds stock....still didnt shoot well, so I bedded it...thought it might be the scope...put ona weaver grand slam and its still doesnt shoot. Today I tried 168 grn ballistic tips over 56.6-58 grains of IMR 4350. The tightest group was 3", and the largest was closer to 7".
What should I look at next?

Did you scrub the cobwebs out before shooting it? It may be really fouled out or the bore may be pitted, depending how it was stored for the last 10 years. Everything else that's been suggested as well: "binding stock", "crown", your shooting ability. What kind of bedding job did you perform? Is the barrel freefloated? Check your mounts and rings too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Xs247
It shot ok. To be honest, 10 years ago it was sighted in and it shot deer, didnt see much time shooting it.
I'm thinking I will try a different bullet before I go too far. I have never had a gun not shoot ballistic tips, but its worth a shot anyway.

It's not the bullet, trust me. What does the bore look like? How's the crown, trigger, and are the rings and bases tight (loctited down and screws torqued properly and of the correct length)???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
X
Xs247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
I remounted the scope today starting from scratch. Made sure everything is where it needs to be. The crown looks fine, no visible damage, and I cant see anythign in the bore. I had the stock bedded with a small amount of support in front of the lug. I removed that today and it is now free floating right to the recoil lug. I bedded it, and am far from a pro. I can't tell that its torqued or binding, seams ok to me. What should I look for?
I shoot my other rifles fine, so I'm thinkin its not me. 56.5 grains measured just a hair over 2". 57 shot 2.5" with 2/3 within one inch. 57.5 and 58 went to to hell...

Last edited by Xs247; 11/01/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd take a good copper cleaner and a good solvent and clean the bore right down to bare metal and try again....some rifles get really wonky when badly fouled and you can't see all that stuff just looking down there.The start shooting again.

If that doesn't do it then you have some kind of mechanical issue because 3"-7" groups is pretty bad with your mix of components and no amount of load juggling is going to help.You are just wasting ammo and components.

The rifle may need a good gunsmith to do a diagnostic and a fix.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Send Brad a PM

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I had an old family rifle that wouldn't group, despite my hamfisted efforts to correct it. It was a cheapie rifle to begin with, but sentimentality wouldn't let me part with it.

A trip to Mickey Coleman for a new barrel turned it into an amazing shooter. I'm glad I went that route. Turnaround was awfully quick, too.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First give the barrel a good cleaning , second let someone else shoot it for a group.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I had an old family rifle that wouldn't group, despite my hamfisted efforts to correct it. It was a cheapie rifle to begin with, but sentimentality wouldn't let me part with it.

A trip to Mickey Coleman for a new barrel turned it into an amazing shooter. I'm glad I went that route. Turnaround was awfully quick, too.

FC

This is the same route I would take also, if you're going to keep it. I don't have idle time to make a poor shooting rifle a good shooter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are not too attached to it, you could take it to a gun show and trade it towards a real model 70. Either a Classic or a pre-64. That would be my remedy if it were mine.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With groups like that, I'd first investigate the scope. Yes, I know everyone says that, but, if you check closely, you might find something. I've had loose mounts, rings and objective lenses bouncing off of the barrel chamber.

Secondly, I've had more than I'd like to admit problems post-bedding where the action was not tightened down enough. Pillars have addressed some of this, but, prior to doing that, I'll buy some allen head action screws that can be torqued down sufficiently. Has seemed to add almost more to accuracy than the bedding job. Go figure.

Murphy was a grunt.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Load up a more of the 56.5 grain load for it.
Put a finger of bedding down the barrel channel from the front of the lug running up the channel about 5 inches. Make sure there is a little gap on the front side of the lug.
Shoot a couple 3 shot groups and measure.
Hog about an inch off the front of the finger (changes harmonics)and shoot again.
Hog out and shoot again until all the finger is gone
--OR when you find something shooting a reasonable group.
If get a reasonable group, then vary powder charges and check groups.
Then work with the best group charge varying seating depth.
Then hopefully you will have the hunting load you are wanting.
It has worked for me. But each gun IS different.
jmho
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 11/02/13.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (afisher, 35, Anaconda, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.