Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to pick up a GOOD hatchet. Something better than the normal stuff found at Lowes and other hardware stores. Will be using it for camping and for when I am splitting firewood. I figure someone here can recommend a few good ones and tell me what to look for.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gransfors makes some nice ones.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a vintage USA made Plumb , it's just as good as any made.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wetterlings makes a really good ax and it isn't as expensive as a gransfors. A fiskars ax is ok not as good as the others but better than wally world speacials. I have a fiskars that has served me well for about 4 years and it sharpens really good. I can shave my arm with it. I use it to build duck blinds out of brush. The only con is the back side isn't a good hammer but it does the job.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogballs

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Gransfors+Bruks/Gransfors+Bruks%26%23153%3B+Wildlife+Hatchet/GB415.html

I was looking at this one, this and similar ones advertise that they use Swedish Steel, is that really something better than other steel?

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Go with the plumb,I have three of them from I was doing hand scribe log structures.Take the cheeks off and you can shave with it.Cheap and they do the job,most will be lost before they are wore out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gransfors, Wetterlings/Husqy, Norlund, all the high dollar Swedish ones are good+.

If you want a great hatchet that will chop as good as the high dollar ones and won't break the bank, this one is by FAR the best IMO. Fiskars made in Finland. There is no hatchet made even close to as good at this price point and YOU CAN buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. Here is one the many great reviews you will find on it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/837501-REVIEW-The-new-Fiskars-X7-14-quot-Hatchet

If you search, you can find lots of reviews on it comparing it very favorably to the high dollar Swedish models.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotta guys hoard the old ones they find at garage sales and the like. Imagine that, hoarding?!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For an equivalent to many of today's stainless/synthetic rifles in the hatchet department, look at those which Fiskars offers. They have quite a good selection of sizes and they are very handy and packable. I have used one of them for the past two decades, mostly for cutting, not splitting, but the number of alders and willows it has cut would make a tremendous pile. The high quality steel head holds a good cutting edge well, while the polymer handle is very much tougher than it feels. I have used mine into deep cold (-20/-30� F) without failure.

I love the handmade quality of Gransfors, and perhaps they would be the hatchet equivalent of wood/blued rifles. smile In either case, Scandinavia won't steer you wrong for wood cutting purposes.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The used Plumbs on Ebay and such are much cheaper than the Gransfors and Wetterlings.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Lotta guys hoard the old ones they find at garage sales and the like. Imagine that, hoarding?!

WHO me yes any old ones that I find ,hatchets axes froes adz draw knives spoke shaves bridge slicks. grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt, Sorry but I do not have any good hatchet heads in my collection at this time or there would be in a brown truck on the way. I recommend you look around at garage or estate sales, junk or antique stores , and ask around where ever you see an old barn. As mentioned above Plumb made good great heads.

I will keep my eyes open this week as the wife and I take a week to mosey around spending five days to drive the normal 235 mile drive home. We will not travel any four lane and will see lots of real country. If I can find a good head I will clean it up, hang it and get it to you for shipping.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Been slumming this Gransfor for about 9 years

[Linked Image]

Before that I used the [bleep] out of a Gerber, mostly seeing use running a trapline.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogballs

Yep - what I bought - Hatchet

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
American made choices. Nothing wrong with the Gransfors but more coin and a little too hard for my liking in an axe. I have used both the Peavey and Snow and Neally. The Peavey is the best buy and use a Hudson Bay pattern for the last several years splitting fire wood before it comes into the house. The S&N have been inconsistent in quality. I have one that is really good and couple others that weren't worth the money. I have heard good things about Council, but not used one as yet.

http://store.peaveymfg.com/cart/category/2021/Axe_Line/1/

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=17HB18

http://cspoutdoors.com/snowneallyaxes.html

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got the Keen Cutter my Grandfather carried on the trapline through the depression. Much thicker through the blade leading up to the cutting edge than my S-I-Ls Gransfor, doesn't chop as well, but splits fairly well.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Been slumming this Gransfor for about 9 years

[Linked Image]

Before that I used the [bleep] out of a Gerber, mostly seeing use running a trapline.

A man after my own heart, a Marlin sporting XS Sights.

A great review on that Fiskars, but for this one I am going to go a bit old school with wood handle and all.

Originally Posted by Scott F
Matt, Sorry but I do not have any good hatchet heads in my collection at this time or there would be in a brown truck on the way. I recommend you look around at garage or estate sales, junk or antique stores , and ask around where ever you see an old barn. As mentioned above Plumb made good great heads.

I will keep my eyes open this week as the wife and I take a week to mosey around spending five days to drive the normal 235 mile drive home. We will not travel any four lane and will see lots of real country. If I can find a good head I will clean it up, hang it and get it to you for shipping.

Scott, I am not in a hurry and one hand picked by you would be very nice. Just let me know when you find something good and tell me how much $ to send. I very much like the idea of putting new life in an old tool.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We leave on our trip up the coast tomorrow. I may not be on the fire for several days but I will let you know what I find.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you Scott!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I remember right I owe you several favors and this is one I will have fun trying to return. grin

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.