Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of these on order. double-bit-trapper-hatchet

While not a hatchet, I've been happy with the Velvicut Hudson Bay Ax http://www.counciltool.com

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the American-made Marbles are hella good tools.....

[Linked Image]

The G-B's even better...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been very happy with my Bahco 19'' Rucksack Axe from Ben's Backwoods.

Bahco Rucksack Axe

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jds44
I've been very happy with my Bahco 19'' Rucksack Axe from Ben's Backwoods.

Bahco Rucksack Axe

[Linked Image]

The loggers around here speak highly of Bahco's
I'm told they make Husky's stuff.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gransfors in action
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rickmenefee; 11/02/13.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KR13
I have one of these on order. double-bit-trapper-hatchet

While not a hatchet, I've been happy with the Velvicut Hudson Bay Ax http://www.counciltool.com

If I were buying a new axe or hatchet, I'd buy a Council Tools Velvicut Hudson Bay also. My neighbor and one of my hunting buds have them, use them hard in hunting and fishing camps and they really like them. They're made here in the USA, oddly enough.

I have an old Plumb Victory model axe, a very old Mann Tool Co. axe, an old 26" boy's axe of unknown make, two old Plumb hatchets (newest from 1965), and an Estwing 14" leather handled hatchet I bought new in 1988 at a hardware store in Grangeville, Idaho. All work fine for me.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
so do these...

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think you need one more of them Vaughn rigger's hatchets:) Do they take and hold a decent edge?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
3 Vaughns and 2 plumbs. The Vaughns trump Plumb for both balance, driving, AND edge holding.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Gransfors, Wetterlings/Husqy, Norlund, all the high dollar Swedish ones are good+.

If you want a great hatchet that will chop as good as the high dollar ones and won't break the bank, this one is by FAR the best IMO. Fiskars made in Finland. There is no hatchet made even close to as good at this price point and YOU CAN buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. Here is one the many great reviews you will find on it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/837501-REVIEW-The-new-Fiskars-X7-14-quot-Hatchet

If you search, you can find lots of reviews on it comparing it very favorably to the high dollar Swedish models.............

This.

I have a Gransfors, have had the opportunity to use custom axes with steel tempered by Bavarian elves and handles cannibalized from clapped out Stradivarius necks--haven't found anything better than Fiskars.

Fiskars mauls work darn good too.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For something smaller & more handy for backpacking, this guy hand builds some very nice hatchets. I saw him set up at the big Tulsa Gun Show, last year, & the quality looked really really good!

http://www.2hawks.net/tomahawks/

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for this thread. Few years back when my grandfather died and we were going through his things, I saw an old beat up axe in the corner, split handle, head pretty scratched up. Thought about throwing it away a few times but couldn't do it, always thought someday I'll clean it up and put a new handle on it.

This thread peaked my curiosity so I went out to the garage and found it, took a Brillo pad to it, and sure enough there is the crown and GBA logo, made in Sweden.

Looks like the axe head was once painted blue. I guess I found myself a new camp axe as soon as I get her sharpened and a new handle put on it. 3 1/2 head, so I'm thinking maybe a 24" handle would be a good size. Lot of sap on the handle, but it just looks too unsafe at this point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found one of my grandfathers old hatchets and had planned to send it to Scott to have it rehung and refurbished but upon closer examination I noticed a corner of the blade had at one time been chipped. The chip would have taken maybe 3/4" off the blade length.
I hated that..

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I've had great results with the small hatchet from Bark River. They say it's starts as a Swedish military ax..I'm assuming they mean Granforth... that they modify to their specs.

http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-custom-axe.html

Good luck with whichver you chose.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are two hatchets I worked on myself, the lighter unit (top) is a cut down Norlund and the darker is a cut down Plumb BSA. The handles I made myself, same with the leatherwork.

Interesting enough that the Norlund will chip out if used on hard Gidgee or black box, but is generally fine with red gum...the Plumb handles all with no problems what so ever, and looks like [bleep] because I used it for grubbing out tree roots last week when I laid a storm water pipe through the nature strip.

They are both due for a 24 hour soak in linseed oil, which is not a problem as I picked up 60 litres for $300 from a local fellow...I am pleased with that purchase.

The new Plumb hatchets are softer and are nowhere near as good as this one, Both of these axes pictured are pre 70.

Ebay is your friend (gasp).

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Good thread-didn't realize there are so many hatchet/axe aficionados around here. I think the $20-30 Fiskars is the best bang for the buck by a long ways. I have some older Finnish Gerbers that are similar and great too. Have a Wetterlings and a few Gransfors also. A Gransfor mini is an essential part of my hunting kit-the handle grooves are my modification for a more secure grip.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
I've had great results with the small hatchet from Bark River. They say it's starts as a Swedish military ax..I'm assuming they mean Granforth... that they modify to their specs.

I'd be very surprised if the Swedish military use Granforth as they hand forged and are essentially hand built. If I had to guess, I'd venture something its something like Husky ie factory head but still very good quality...

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
A Gransfor mini is an essential part of my hunting kit-the handle grooves are my modification for a more secure grip.

I visited Granf�rs Bruk, and each smith stamps his initials on each axe head so if one ever cracks and the head comes back, everybody at the plant knows who let a head get out without proper tempering. smile

On the Swedish web page there is a list of all the 'smiths and their corresponding initials but I don't think their English-language page has this info.

Your (now customized) Gransf�rs Bruk Mini was made by Lennert Pettersson. smile

If by chance anybody else wants to know the name of the guy who made their Granf�rs Bruk axe, you can read the list HERE.

Trivial, yeah, I know! But then again, there seems to be some axe fanatics here and one of them might be interested... smile

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger

I'd be very surprised if the Swedish military use Granforth as they hand forged and are essentially hand built. If I had to guess, I'd venture something its something like Husky ie factory head but still very good quality...

Jeddi Swagger,

Its seems there is an odd coincidence here..On the strength of this thread I went out into the shed to look at the factory made Swedish hatchet I use for chopping morning sticks..The head is marked "HB" so I googled it and find out it stands for a "Hult Bruk" and they mass produced axes, often for other company's, but also for the Swedish Military.

Mine is a fairly recent axe, and I suspect that older military axes may be better steel / better made..They should be marked with three crowns plus "KB" and two digits which I assume is the year of production..In your case, this stamping may have been lost when then axe head was re ground..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 11/03/13.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (358WCF, 1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 62 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.