Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had great luck with Meindls. I rotate three different pairs according to temperature.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by valad

My feet seem to get cold if I sit for 30 minutes or less and sometimes sweat.

Mine used to as well. I did a few things from the suggestion of folks here on the campfire... Use spray-on or a stick anti-persprint and GOOD socks.

It made a world of difference. I use Smart-wool socks or plain wool if it's real cold. I rarely wear my heavy pac style boots anymore.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had a pair of Cabelas /Meindl boots and although they fit good and were very comfortable the boots fell apart. These didn't get used much and spent more time in the closet than in the field. They were never exposed to any sort of chemical either, just hunted with.
I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were Cabelas brand that Cabelas was responsible for any warranty and FYI. any item with Cabelas name on it is lifetime warranty which was good. The bad thing is they didn't credit me the full amount and I couldn't get a replacement pair ( new model) for the refunded amount. I settled for a pair of their Outfitter series Pro Hunting boots and I'm very pleased so far.
Here are a few pics of the Meindl/Cableas.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an older pair of Guide boots, the 12" high ones. While they're warm and waterproof, they're a bugger to get on. The problem is that they made the tongue gussets too narrow and I can't open the ankle wide enough to get my foot in without pulling my socks up to my crotch. My toes are always curled up in them.
I wouldn't go with the 12" ones again either. My pants are always hung up on the tops.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
smokeeter...............I'm going to guess those are an Asian made version. I think if someone is going to buy a Cabelas Meindl boot that you get the Perfekt model.

Mine are 7 years old, and I have a gazillion miles on them with none of what you show in those pictures. The construction on mine is still as good as new. I feel with new soles I can get another 7 years.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had 2 pairs of Meindls do the exact same thing,,,,, one is at Cabelas now and I am waiting to hear from them, how I am treated will decide what boots I buy. The uppers wear like Iron and I really like how they fit and feel but the sole doing that is not exceptable.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of different boots at Cabelas obviously, so look online at what they carry and google a few reviews plus take the advice you've gotten here.

My feet get cold and they can also get clammy. Personally I can wear 800g boots for 80% of what I need a pair of hunting boots for.
Those boots are a pair of Irish Setters that fit my feet well and have held up very well. Probably 7 or so years old now and last year while in Scotland they did leak. Still using them this year for archery hunting, but bought a pair of replacement Kennetrek extremes to try out.

If I'm going to be hoofing it for miles at a time, then I choose a pair of non-insulated boots and when all I'm going to be doing is walking a short distance and it's cold I've got some 1600g boots.

Life is just one damned thing after another
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh yeah I think Cabela's is a great place to shop boots. The Meindl models discussed thus far are great, but Danners are awesome too. Most important is fit and each brand/model has a little different feel, even within the same size designation.

The heaviest boots I have are 400 gram and they do fine by me all year round. For exceptional cold I use Arctic Shield boot blankets that are INCREDIBLE. For general walking around I like uninsulated or 200 gr, choosing to regulate foot temp w/ socks instead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokeeter
I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were Cabelas brand that Cabelas was responsible for any warranty and FYI. any item with Cabelas name on it is lifetime warranty which was good. The bad thing is they didn't credit me the full amount and I couldn't get a replacement pair ( new model) for the refunded amount.

...and this is why not to buy from Cabela's, sub-par warranty that is not actually a full warranty, but is just mis-leading

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just so you can compare. Here's my 7 year old Perfekt that I wear daily with too many miles on them to count. Construction is still perfect, and are ready for a resole.

[Linked Image]

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I stopped at my LGS while out driving today and saw they had the Danner Pronghorns for $199 and it was 200g thinsulate. Looked online and some reviews state they leak water when not supposed to. Said the test is to stand in ankle high bath water to see if they leak. Looked on the Danner site and saw no where stating where this is a valid test. For the Danners, if bought from Cabelas or any where else, if you have problems are they to be sent to the Danner factory? Obviously I am asking this because someone said Cabelas Meindl's are warranty by Cabelas and the did not get a full refund. Still thinking this out but the Danners seem decent.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by smokeeter
I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were Cabelas brand that Cabelas was responsible for any warranty and FYI. any item with Cabelas name on it is lifetime warranty which was good. The bad thing is they didn't credit me the full amount and I couldn't get a replacement pair ( new model) for the refunded amount.

...and this is why not to buy from Cabela's, sub-par warranty that is not actually a full warranty, but is just mis-leading

So where do you suggest to buy Meindl's outside of Cabelas? Are the quality of Cabelas Meindls the same as Meindls straight from factory? My guess is Meindls makes Cabelas boots and probably sold to them a little cheaper thus they are telling Cabelas to warranty these Meindl boots?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buy the Meindl Perfekt, and i'll bet my life Meindl in Germany made them.

The question on leaking. Sometimes when I fly fish my mountain creeks I don't wear waders. I've done that and ended up wading all day in the Meindl's in water that didn't go over the top on them. No leaks. I've hiked all day in snow. No leaks.

have you read the reviews on the Meindl Perfekt boots on the Cabelas web site? There's a lot of them.

I used to wear Danners before switching to Meindl's. I was happy to get two years out of the Danners, and they were never worth resouling.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
yeah I have seen the reviews on cabelas. Probably one of the better positive reviews of any boots. Even though you do not rate Danners highly apparently many people do. But most important is the boots have to fit my feet and all feet are different. I just need to get the insulation so my guess is the 400 thinsulate would work for me. Can't wait to visit Cabelas when I drive home stopping at the Wheeling Cabelas.
Thanks for your insight Mauser_Hunter!

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Mauser, do you have the Perfekt Hikers that are insulated? I think the insulated boots are not the hikers. possibly things have changed since you bought your Meindl boots a few years ago?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have the Hunters.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's not so much that I had bad luck with the Danners. They lasted two years which was longer than a lot of boots. I'm really hard on boots. I hike scout over 300 days a year. Plus, I wear wear them everyday around town.

I fully expected the Meindl's to last me two years too, but they just keep on going. I keep looking for them to come apart, but they're not doing it. They certainly were worth the money for me.

I just hope the new Perfekt's are still made in Germany. Maybe you could contact Meindl, and ask them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by valad
I stopped at my LGS while out driving today and saw they had the Danner Pronghorns for $199 and it was 200g thinsulate. Looked online and some reviews state they leak water when not supposed to. Said the test is to stand in ankle high bath water to see if they leak. Looked on the Danner site and saw no where stating where this is a valid test. For the Danners, if bought from Cabelas or any where else, if you have problems are they to be sent to the Danner factory? Obviously I am asking this because someone said Cabelas Meindl's are warranty by Cabelas and the did not get a full refund. Still thinking this out but the Danners seem decent.

Buy These^^^

They are the mfg in USA Danners. Mine have never leaked, & the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. They are NOT designed for Sheep or Goat Hunting, obviously, but they are super tough & very well made. For general hunting, I don't think they can be beat, for $200 bucks.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only have a little boot experience compared to some here, but here's what I know for sure:

1. Buy boots not made in a third world country.
2. Make sure they fit right.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a new pair (summer 2013) of Perfekt Hunters and they are still made in Germany per the tag. Great boots for my feet (4rd pair of Hunters, and I'm on my 4th pair hikers also) over the last 15-20 years or so. I don't see the quality slipping. The new fit like the old and wear like them too. Since I wear size 13 I don't have any issues with the soles as they are a more standard Vibram than on the smaller sizes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.