Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SeaDago Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ya gotta love friends...

Until 2007, I hadn't gone big game hunting since 1980, when I was 15 and heading away to school. I loved bird hunting and continued doing that until a few years ago when birddogs died, kids arrived and time evaporated.

Then, a few years ago I watched an elk hunt on TV and decided I needed to do that. A gunsmith told me my Dad's rusted old Winchester Model 100 in .308 would be too expensive to get in order so I bought myself a slick Hawkeye in .30-06 and started to handload. Every year since I've headed out with the same nucleus of pals and we've largely been unsuccessful on both deer and elk. On great wine, gourmet meals and extremely raunchy discussions, we've excelled...it's just that the quarry hasn't been joining us in all the fun.

I'd been looking forward to this year's true spike hunt in central Washington so was going to pass on mule deer this year. My pals suggested that was a poor decision, reminding me that as a shutdown federal worker I had time on my hands...those reminders contained lots of compound words with the sound of "ucker" in them. Naturally, I caved.

But as I packed up for the Okanogan, I didn't bring the .30-06. Last winter, my buddy up the street, a completely insane rifle nut, started grinding on me about fixing the old Model 100. So, I did. A complete over-haul...recalled firing pin and spring, new slide springs, and even a tidy little bedding job. I plopped a 60's-era Leupold 4x on top and, wouldn't you know it, the damned thing turned out to be a shooter, throwing 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips into cute and perfectly serviceable little 1.5-2" groups. Big fun!

Naturally, I decided to take the 49 year old M100 on the hunt. At 7:30 on the morning of the third day, as my pals squeezed an aspen-lined draw, I dropped the very hefty 3x4 below in its tracks with a lung shot as it was hauling ass, quartering away from me at a handy 60 yards.

Knowing what they do about my Dad and the significance of using his old gun, I don't know who was happier, my friends or me!

Attached Images
Deer body pic - compressed.jpg (77.13 KB, 400 downloads)
Deer pic 1 posed.jpg (74.79 KB, 441 downloads)
Last edited by Blueneck; 11/02/13. Reason: adding pics

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -- Charles Darwin
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most excellent! Now tag up and do it again next year.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice!

Welcome to the fire.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great story, only made better that it was your dad's rifle.

Brandon Gleason
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow great story, pics, and wonderful rifle

Congrats

Who knew that Angus beef cows disguised themselves as mule deer.

Thats a hog of a deer!

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Your Dad would be proud.

Doc

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congrats, keep up the good work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic, and to do it with a rifle like that. Just awesome! Congrats!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations. Nice to shoot a deer with a gun that has been in the family.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice end to a long drought. The smile says it all. Congrats, and welcome!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great story, and hunting with that rifle is like having Dad along. Doesn't get any better than that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Neat looking deer, great old rifle and the best part is the story behind it all!!!!

Congrats to you!!

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great buck and great story! Wish I had a rifle from my dad to hunt with but he was just a small game hunter growing up. He just killed his first deer a few years ago and he usually hunts with one of my rifles. One of these days I will inherit his early 50's Wingmaster that my grandfather bought new.

I have a very similar hunting history. I deer hunted a few times in the mid 80's when I was in high school but there weren't many deer around so I never killed anything and lost interest. I started back again in the fall of 2007 and killed a doe in south AL, my first deer ever. I've been hooked ever since.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats awesome.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great buck - That is a hog - and great story. Good decision to get the ol' model 100 fixed up. I have an Auto-5 20 gauge my grandpa left me that is older than me. Only gun I've used for bird hunting for the last 25 years.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story!!!!

smile

S
SeaDago Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Gang -- Thanks for all the kind words...the fellas and I have already started the discussions about next year, and I've stashed a great couple bottles of expensive red for 2014.

While I've enjoyed getting back into big game hunting and the utter lunacy of the rifle and caliber discussions i have with my buddy up the street, this hunt with this old gun just flat sealed the deal. I'm utterly obsessed with the model, the caliber, the possibilities of improving its performance...you name it, I'm thinking about it.

Pretty sure my wife isn't quite as excited as I am, but she feigns interest well...the best part on the home front is probably that my kids TOTALLY get how cool it is that I finally got a deer and I did it with my Dad's weaponry. The kids like to shoot, they just don't want to kill...maybe this will change that...

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -- Charles Darwin
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these "family tradition" threads. It's always cool to hear about a gun staying in the family and having multiple generations harvest deer with it. This year I'm gonna take my late Uncle's Marlin 30-30 out hunting. The gun's never been hunted with; he bought it new about 1991 at age 72!. Only fired a couple boxes of ammo through it up at his camp in Canada and never got to hunt with it. Hopefully this year his nephew will get to fill a tag with it for him. If he were still with us he'd be getting lots of venison.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great job all the way around

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.