-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Looking for a trustworthy outfitter in the wonderful country of Canada. Looking to hunt spring black bear.

I'm trying to take my 71 year old father to get a nice bear. I had gotten an advertisement from Cabelas for a few places, one around Prince George BC that looked good (don't have the outfits name yet but will post it up here when I do). Looking for other recommendations.

I could go somewhat local, but the bears just aren't as big down here in my neck of the woods.

Any help appreciated. Thanks for your time.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me know when you figure out the Prince George Guide's name. I assume you live in Idaho, correct? There is a fellow North of Ft. St. James that does well with bears. Would you like to do other activities like fishing as well?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check your private message. Click on the flashing flag that should show up.

S
OP Offline
S
Yes, in south east Idaho. Fishing would be great. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sdkidaho;
Welcome to the 'Fire sir from just across the medicine line in the south Okanagan.

If I can read sign, my friend Okanagan has been in conversation with you already which is perfect.

He and his lovely wife have had coffee with our family and his son visited with him on a cat hunt too.

From those visits, phone conversations and PM's exchanged, it is my opinion that Okanagan is both an avid hunter and a gentleman of the first and highest order.

I write this simply because sometimes when one is new on a forum it's tough to get to know who one is dealing with.

Anyway sir, not that you know either of us from a fig, but Okanagan won't steer you wrong on bears.

Again welcome to the 'Fire and good luck on your upcoming hunts whichever side of the medicine line they end up being.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Dwayne. Okanagan did message me. Very nice guy that did point me to what looks to be a great Outfitter.

I appreciate you guys and your willingness to help a stranger.

Darby

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne, you are the class of the campfire, the most consistently helpful of anyone I have run across, and way more complimentary to me than warranted. Thank you.

And you serve good coffee and excellent conversation. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Darby - I guess part of it depends on how far you want to go. One thing that is a bit different here than in Idaho is the opportunity to hunt coastal regions. Vancouver Island has really nice bears - a very large portion of them have black faces, which imo make for a nice trophy. You will also have the chance to do some saltwater fishing. The season opens in April and that is the start of the halibut season. Other examples are winter feeder chinook around the North part of the Island. While not the peak time for salmon, you should do ok. There are also opportunities for Lingcod, but make sure you look for something more on the Northern half of the island. Blackfish Sound near Telegraph Cove is absolutely beautiful and you can check out the killer whales by Robson Bight.

A bit more remote coastal hunt is the Prince Rupert area, and the outfitter there is Coast Mountain Outfitters. They also offer boat based black bear hunts. I don't know anything about the outfitter, but do know the area and it is beautiful.

Good luck on your search!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted twice with Ron Pedersen near Buffalo Narrows, SK and had very good hunts. A bunch of my friends have also hunter here:

http://www.screamingeagleoutfitting.ca/hunting.html

I have several friends who have hunted with Arlee at Hepburn Lake Lodge and had wonderful hunts:

http://www.hepburnlakelodge.net/?page_id=7

405wcf

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 3,181 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.