Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have an #1A in .204R that is a candidate to be rebarreled.

What options do i have in order to use either weaver or talley mounts on a short medium weight barrel contour Maybe on an untapered portion of barrel shank?

Trying to do this on the cheap, or will end up selling the #1

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It sounds like you will be abandoning the 1/4 rib from the 1A which should give you options. I have a customized No. 3 with an aftermarket barrel that has 2 piece Weaver bases that may be similar to what you're thinking?
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yes exactly what iam considering

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you decide to sell the rifle instead, I may be interested. Thanks

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am not too sure of what a medium weight barrel is but......seems to vary with folks I know.

There used to be Redfield two piece mounts made up for the No.1B factory taper(Shilen #4 is right close) that show up every now and then on the various internet auction sites. These were for the turn-in fronts and windage rears. Discontinued some time ago, but old/new stock is still around some.

Talley make make a set of gunsmith basic bases. I have used some that were for Ruger rings, ie Ruger dished recoil lug machined in with flat bottoms. Pretty tallish, as to allow for custom fitting to whatever barrel. I used a set on a custom martini once.

The good thing if one calls it that; is that the Talley and Ruger bases are 1/2" nominal in width. Saves some weight and I think look nice and slim on the barrel. Weaver types are nominally 3/4" wide.

As you well know, always are custom cut bases; for Talley or for Ruger is not a big job on top, but the front base bottom curves are fairly complex.

Guess one could peruse the Talley or Ruger base folks for a tallish standard type base that could be touched on the bottom for said new barrel.

Final thought is to buy a straight tapered barrel and machine a sight base ala pre64 model 70, the same diameter as the breech. Probably need about 3 inches length for scope rings, and if solid, adds weight. The tapering on a lathe is not much fun but would ease the mount requirements. I reckon one could machine up a bushing to be silver soldered as the front base's support/interface on a more standard tapered barrel.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you can live with about a three inch shank in front of the action then some tc contender/encore bases could be screwed on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,683
Posts18,513,469
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.