Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What are they? If I let my laptop sit idle they fall off to zero, doing anything and I get about 125 a second.
I'm trying to speed this old laptop up a tad. Just surfing the net and streaming audio I'm using 78% of my physical memory.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It's sounds like you need more, higher quality memory. I've never swapped out memory on a lap top, I've done it many a time on a desktop.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
It's sounds like you need more, higher quality memory. I've never swapped out memory on a lap top, I've done it many a time on a desktop.

I've done it before in a desk top I don't think I wanna tear into a laptop.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swapping it out on the laptop shouldn't be too difficult. The memory is usually under the keyboard however, so some dis-assembly is required.

If you are getting hard faults, this is usually indications of failing memory, and the memory should be replaced anyways. Make sure that you get memory that matches the speed and form factor of the memory currently installed. Larger memory size is fine, however it has to fit in the slot, and work at the same speed.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To be honest I'm waiting on this laptop to die anyhow, eight years old. I haven't priced mem sticks for it but I really don't wanna spend the money on a dying horse.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by shreck
To be honest I'm waiting on this laptop to die anyhow, eight years old. I haven't priced mem sticks for it but I really don't wanna spend the money on a dying horse.

Great, pull the hard drive (to save all your data), take the rest out and use it for target practice.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shreck
To be honest I'm waiting on this laptop to die anyhow, eight years old.

Help it along... (jump to about 36 seconds)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hbwhxgd2MW8[/video]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Depending upon notebook, memory might be pretty easy to get to. My old toshiba has a removable cover on bottom. With machine off, you can remove and re-insert just to check.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Before you take it apart, go to www.crucial.com to see what new memory will cost. You don't need to know anything but machine make and model. I think the site might also have memory removal instructions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old, old trick that sometimes works: Remove memory card and reinstall. Modern latching cards don't work loose but it's just possible some gunk or oxide found its way to the card edge fingers, doesn't take much to give flaky results at speed. Reinserting cleans the fingers and best of all it costs 'nuthin.

Transistors do wear out and at an accelerated rate inside hot laptops but worth a try. Quality (cost more, top rated retailer) memory held to higher specs is more reliable - where do you suppose memory that works but not up to spec goes?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seriously, replacing or reseating memory on an 8 year old laptop could be pretty eazy peazy. See if there's anything on Youtube for your make/model. Or if there's an owners manual online that describes how.

I've upgraded all of mine over the years, and yes that goes back a ways.

Likely the only tool you're going to need is a size 0 Phillips screwdriver, though you might get away with a larger one.

Scott

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do what nighthawk and Scott T say.

It will be easy, and may indeed be all you need to do.

When you have the memory out, gently clean the contacts with a pencil eraser (not too much, about 3 or 4 strokes per side), clean well, and reinstall.

Over the last 20 or so years, I have done this to about a dozen computers with memory faults (laptops and desktops) and it worked in 4 or 5 cases.

5 minutes, tops.

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 24 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.