Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8227430 11/06/13
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had to go to wally world last night and while there, I saw a semi backing up to the loading dock. I asked if there might be 22 lr on the delivery and was told they never know, but they would put them out at 7 am, if there was any.

So, I was standing at the door this morning when they opened (not a supercenter). I saw several people going in the store before 7 am, but I figured they were employees. When the fellow opened the doors, I was the first one in.

I went directly to the ammo counter and there stood 2 fellows waiting for them to bring out the ammo. One of them said he had 'got a call' that there was some 22 ammo coming in.

We waited for about 10 min and the lady brought out a shopping cart with the ammo. Mostly shotgun shells but there was some 7.62 stuff, 270, and 32 auto. There was 1 case of 22 sub-sonic.

The first fellow bought 3 50 rd boxes (limited to 3), 2nd fellow didnt want any, and I bought 3 boxes.

As I walked out the store the 2nd fellow said he had a brick or two of the golden remington for sale at $50/brick, if I wanted any. Of course, I wanted them, but not at that price! Told him I'd pass, but thanks.

3 things wrong with this episode.
1) Insiders calling friends with ammo info.
2) Friends getting in store before it opens
3) Friends scalping ammo in parking lot

Nothing I can do about it, but it that dont make it right!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's only one thing wrong with it.

Wal-Mart isn't selling it at the going rate, so people like the two you ran into, are using the situation to make money.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now would probably not be a good time to tell you that we have had no problems locally at all, not even with US made components.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
That's what seems to have happened. Might want to complain to management.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is none for sale in my fair city. Anywhere. Any kind.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
That's what seems to have happened. Might want to complain to management.

Yeah dude. Management is going to magically stop what has been occurring at retail stores since the inception of retail stores.

I worked @ a Wal-Mart when I was 15. This schit has been going on forever, and it always will. Beanie Babies, Power Rangers, etc.

The only way to stop it, is for the retail stores to charge the going rate.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Oldman, same thing here. I got a friend that lives in Bradford, Pa. that told me the same thing was going on there. My friend Andy is friends with one of the gun shop owners there. There is another shop in town and that guy had a connection that's works at WalMart in Bradford and he was buying all the .223 and 22Lr ammo up and reselling it at a marked up price in his shop. At the time the WalMart there didn't have a limit on how much ammo you could buy. That was last year and I guess its stopped now do to the locals complaining to management at Wally world. I'm pretty sure he said its a two box limit there. The WalMart that's near me now never has any 22 Lr anymore.

I still got some, but I sold ($20.00)a 500 round brick of remington to a buddy of mine last weekend so he could take his kids shooting. I'm trying to find some to replace that now. I still got two bricks though and a couple loose boxes. Will probably burn them up though Saturday before Thanksgiving. Some of my family and friends get together and hunt the morning till noon and then we kill the chit out of some targets. Good luck in your hunt for the evasive 22 Lr.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Scalping ammo has been going on here since last year. It's crazy! A store will put it on the shelf and within the hour it will be posted on Facebook. Usually dosen't last more than an hour (no matter what caliber 9mm, 380, 38, 45acp, 223 or 22). For those of us who cannot leave our job and run to the store "it just Sucks!".

Fortunately, last year I purchased some (before it was scarce) for me and my boys to shoot. I still look for it but I'm not hurting like most.

I did find some 22lr at the local co-op but only a few boxes. I did not purchase any just to hoard. I know that some farmers actually need it, so hopefully they'll be able to purchase some.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As long as there is a perceived 22LR shortage this will continue. I have picked up about 2500 rounds here and there when I see it in stock. In the past, I have never had more than 500 on hand. Multiply this fact by every guy that shoots 22 LR and you have empty shelves.

I would never wait in line, come in early, or pay a premium. I have just picked up what 22LR I happened to find when I was shopping for something else. I have not seen 22LR in a Wal Mart in over a year.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
I have not seen 22LR in a Wal Mart in over a year.
They kept it in stock for about a month after Sandy Hook, then it suddenly dried up and I haven't seen any there since. If you ask, they practically laugh you to scorn that you're so naive as to ask, i.e., you should know that you have to get lucky and be there at the opening of the store every day to have a chance at any. And it was just a month or so ago I was there last asking about it.

PS I had tens of thousands of .22 rimfire rounds socked away well before all this anyway, some still left over from the late 70s and early 80s, even.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

PS I had tens of thousands of .22 rimfire rounds socked away well before all this anyway, some still left over from the late 70s and early 80s, even.

I hear you can bore and rifle finely crafted cocobolo nunchucks.

Chamber an end, slap a vintage 1970 22LR in it, then strike the rim with the other nunchuck.

Bad azz...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Yeah dude. Management is going to magically stop what has been occurring at retail stores since the inception of retail stores.

I worked @ a Wal-Mart when I was 15. This schit has been going on forever, and it always will. Beanie Babies, Power Rangers, etc.

The only way to stop it, is for the retail stores to charge the going rate.

Travis

It's like that famous old proverbial question-

Which came first, Travis' predilection for small furry livestock or that little slut ewe? smile

LOL
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sonofabitch!

When I worked at Wal-Mart I had quite the Power Ranger racket going on. Same with the new Sega Genesis games back then.

We'd hide them in the back until we found a buyer, then buy it, and sell it for more. I even did that to my grandmother. She needed certain colors for my cousins down in Texas at that time. I'm pretty sure I cut her a deal though.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RWE

Chamber an end, slap a vintage 1970 22LR in it, then strike the rim with the other nunchuck.

Bad azz...

I would definitely shoot up the '70s ammo before opening the '80s boxes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Sonofabitch!

When I worked at Wal-Mart I had quite the Power Ranger racket going on. Same with the new Sega Genesis games back then.

We'd hide them in the back until we found a buyer, then buy it, and sell it for more. I even did that to my grandmother. She needed certain colors for my cousins down in Texas at that time. I'm pretty sure I cut her a deal though.

Travis

Grandma gouging; that reminds me, I have a bunch of stuff here you haven't paid for yet. If we don't settle soon, I'm not sure if I charge you the rate at the time of notification or the later "inflated" price...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Grandma gouging; that reminds me, I have a bunch of stuff here you haven't paid for yet. If we don't settle soon, I'm not sure if I charge you the rate at the time of notification or the later "inflated" price...

Will you take trades?

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might want to complain to management.

Manager is probably the one who called his friend

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by RWE

Bad azz...

A buddy and I shoot his WW1 45 acp now and then since he has a stash. I don't recall a misfire, but he said he has had a couple over the years.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like alot of folks, I have a pretty good supply put back, since all of my rifles shoot Remington Subsonic, and I mainly plink and squirrel hunt, that is what I have kept.

That being said, I am always keeping my eye out for .22 of any sort, mainly to help out buddies who didn't stock up. I haven't seen a box of .22 in nearly a year, between Cablela's, Gander Mountain, Wal-Mart, and Dunham's. When I ask the management, most of them say they have gotten in very little [Cablela's and Gander Mountain] to none [Dunham's and Wal-Mart.] In fact, the defacto wife is the Co-manager at my local Wally-World, so I know it's no B.S. ..and no, I don't ask her to tip me off or buy it all up. LOL.

I simply don't think the ammunition companies are putting it out. Seems to me a few years ago I read an article in one of the gun rags, bragging about how the total 22lr output runs in the BILLIONS of rounds per year between the several manufacturers. There is simply no way "hoarders" are buying that much ammunition.

If they were making it, Wal-Mart and the other companies would at least be getting it in TO sell to the hoarders in more than a few boxes or a brick at a time. According to the general consensus, they aren't.

I am not sure WHY there is such a shortage of 22lr ammunition. After the brief buying panic, 5.56, 12 gauge, 9mm, 45, ect., all are back in stock everywhere I have been, save for them being temporarily out of a specific brand or whatnot.

My opinion is that the ammunition manufacturers are simply not making it for whatever reason, or at least not in any sort of quantity. I don't give a hoot what they are saying in interviews.

What is most laughable, to me anyhow, is that Winchester is introducing a brand new rimfire cartridge, NOW [the 17 WSM,] and a rimfire at that!?! They can't supply the current rimfire calibers. Hornady is almost as bad, introducting the 17 Hornet. My buddy just picked up a Savage 25, quite possibly the uglist rifle I have ever seen, and hasn't been able to find loaded rounds OR brass for it since he bought it, aside from the inflated prices on Gunbroker.

One more thing, speaking of the 17 WSM, the shortage isn't just with the 22lr. I have yet to see 22 shorts, 17 HMR, or 17 HMR2 or whatever it is called, the little 17. The shortage seems to be revolving around all fo the rimfires. Strange.

Last edited by J23; 11/06/13.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by RWE

Bad azz...

A buddy and I shoot his WW1 45 acp now and then since he has a stash. I don't recall a misfire, but he said he has had a couple over the years.....

He needs to counterbore a little around the rim, so the nunchuck strikes more cleanly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 82 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,429
Posts18,528,479
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.