Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm sure this has been discussed on the 'Fire, but I can't find it in the search.

Do any of you have any recommendations regarding a game hoist? You know, the ones that slip into a box hitch? I've seen a few online (Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, etc), but most of the reviews are pretty sorry. A hoist sure would make life easier when I'm hunting alone.

Thanks

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cabelas has succumbed to the lure of cheap Chinese crap. Quality is no longer important to them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[Linked Image]

Had one made by a local weld shop. Problem with the cheapo mass produced ones is that the piece that fits into the reciever is usually too short to allow you to drop the tailgate while in use. Tailgate makes for a handy, in my opinion - necessary, workspace. I left off the winch part because we already have pulleys and gambrels from garage processing set up we can bring along to use. If theres help around we just lift 'em up without pulleys like the pic example. Wish I had pic of seperate pieces. Insert that fits them together is about 14" and has holes evey 2" or so to allow for adjustable height. Downside is it's heavy and cost about $120 to build but it has been very handy.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That looks nice and sturdy. I'd need the pulley/winch combination as I often hunt alone. But it doesn't look like it'd be too difficult to add.

By the way, I found the discussion of game hoists on the Deer Hunting forum. Yours is about the sturdiest looking one of all.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It would be real easy to add but works well with the double pulley deals like you hang in your garage too - and saves a little more weight over the boat winch.

Probably sturdier than it needs to be but I'd rather have that than flimsy.

If you decide to have one made and want me to take some measurements I'd be happy to do so. Hopefully have it out and running next weekend in NY.

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I appreciate that. Don't go out of your way, but the next time you have it out I'd appreciate it. It looks a lot sturdier than anything I've seen. What's the heaviest thing you've had on it?

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'll do that when I pack up for trip next week. Heaviest has been a large deer - 150 ish. But even with that and leaning on it to remove the hide, it's solid. I seriously would not hesitate to hang an Elk on it. Problem would be ground clearance with a long critter but weight wise I'd have no reservations.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
could you make multiple middle sections to gain some height?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You really would not need a winch on a setup like this. Just run a line to a fence post, telephone pole or tree and run it through a pulley. Hoist the critter by moving the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.quickwinch.ca/

I bought a hitch insert exstention so that I can open the tailgate.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
I'm sure this has been discussed on the 'Fire, but I can't find it in the search.

Do any of you have any recommendations regarding a game hoist? You know, the ones that slip into a box hitch? I've seen a few online (Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, etc), but most of the reviews are pretty sorry. A hoist sure would make life easier when I'm hunting alone.

Thanks

Mike

Try googling "deer hoist" or similar, but do it in the images tab.. you will basically bring up lots of pictures of deer hoists and you can then go to the relevant page from the picture..

Can I ask what you want it for? If its primarily for loading a carcass into a pick-up, I think there are better solutions; in fact I think their only value is to hang carcasses for gutting and/or skinning in the field in terrain which is lacking in trees..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pete E

Not to hijack the thread..... What are your thoughts on a better way to load game in a truck? I seem to recall at one time you spoke of a winch set up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a simple adjustable height skinning pole/hoist that I built for skinning deer and coyotes in the field. It is not a hoist as much as a place to skin and having the tailgate for a bench is very handy.

To have a hoist for loading, making or buying one that swivels so you can swing the critter around would be the way for easier loading.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking I could build something similar out of uni-strut. Used it a lot at the Johnson Space Center and the stuff was stronger than all get out. Once you get home you could take it apart and store it away til next year. Incredible strength without welding.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Pete E

Not to hijack the thread..... What are your thoughts on a better way to load game in a truck? I seem to recall at one time you spoke of a winch set up.

I think a winch and a ramp set up is better in most respects..

If its going to be used with any regularity, I'd say get a 12V ATV winch and work out a way of mounting in the bed of the vehicle if its a pick up, preferably with a bit of height..The set up below belongs to a British stalker who posted it on a British stalking forum

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even with an SUV, you can mount on a plate / piece of wood between the front seats by clipping it to the two seat belt buckles..

Ideally the cable needs to go up to a pulley mounted in the roof to get the best angle of pull..In my old Trooper, I found that under the roof lining there was as a flat "roll bar" running across the vehicle directly over the rear seats. As the roof is "corrugated" I was able to slide a bit 1/4" steel plate between the the roll bar and the roof, and make a fixing for a removable eye-bolt..With the roof lining back in place, and the eye-bolt removed, there was just small bulge, which was hardly noticeable.

Of course, if you want to go cheap and cheerfully and equally as effective, you can use a come-along and a bit plywood for a ramp..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 11/09/13.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
[quote=RevMike]

Can I ask what you want it for? If its primarily for loading a carcass into a pick-up, I think there are better solutions; in fact I think their only value is to hang carcasses for gutting and/or skinning in the field in terrain which is lacking in trees..

Yes. To load feral pigs onto the truck when I'm alone. It also needs to be something that can be used on several vehicles.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Pete E
[quote=RevMike]

Yes. To load feral pigs onto the truck when I'm alone. It also needs to be something that can be used on several vehicles.

Mike

Personally, I'd go for a set of ramps and a come-along unless you have a particular reason for prefer a hoist..

The reason I prefer ramps is that with many receiver hoists, they are smack bang in the middle of the tail gate, the very area you want clear when loading. Many do not allow the tail gate to drop, so even more height is then required to lift the carcass over it, and the loading process can be further hindered if the hoist has no swivel function...

The ramps just seem to be an easier solution..

As I like kit to have two or more functions, I am looking for some myself that will double as "sand ladders" for the vehicle should it hit a soft spot off road or need to cross drainage ditches ect..

Regards,

Pete

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is the one I use by myself. Bought it for the same reason last year.

http://deerfeeder.com/Products/HoistHogTrap/GameHoist.aspx

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
I purchased a similar block and tackle from this company but with 4 wheels in each pulley,sheeve unlike this picture that shows two two wheel pulley sheeves, ,back in the 1970s from a hardware store in Colorado,Ive been looking to buy a second one ever since,its packaging stated it was rated at 1000lbs
does anyone know who currently sells these?
I don,t see the company listed on line
yes I pack it in and use it to lift ELK but the one I own is rated at 1000 lbs and while small its lifted dozens of large elk over the years

Last edited by 340mag; 11/10/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a local fab shop build me one. It's over built, but it'll hold anything I care to get to the truck whole. IMO, there are 3 things to look for, will it fit your truck bed and does it swivel and can you let the tailgate down? Mine does all three.
[Linked Image]

We are gonna try to design an all aluminum one that has no piece longer than 2' and fits in a duffle. The one pictured worked great, but it took up quite a bit of room in the bed. For long trips that was a problem as we needed the space.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.