Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Anyone have POC information on firms hiring Bear Guards either up on the North slope, or next Spring ?

Any good web sites that these types of jobs are normally posted on ?

Anyone know of any Oil companies on the North slope who hire Bear Guards directly ?

Anyone know of any companies who hire A-EMT's for Medical support on the North slope ?

Any other commentary, anecdotes, training or gear recomendations or the like are welcomed.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When I worked on the Slope all of the "bear guarding" was done by the contract security firms and the ETT's up there were working along with a Nurse Practitioner who used one of the North Slope Borough Docs for supervision.
There were no "independent" bear guards and all firearms (what few there are) are locked up until a bear is actually sighted around the work areas.

Take a look at the Native Corporations up there, they get a lot of the fire/medic/security contracts.

NANA, DOYON, AHTNA, and CIRI are the biggest players.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt you will find anyone that's hiring right now, with winter on the way and all. I'd check back in the spring before breakup. Here's a couple of leads for you.

http://www.fairweather.com/bearguards.html

http://www.clearstream-llc.com/index.php/services/bear-guards

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just seen "him" yesterday....bought a gun from "him" 2 years ago....."him" ain't in the biz to make hoards of $$$ he's his own boss and works at his pace...used to "race pigeons"...even got one to fly from IL to here! notice I said 1

Last edited by atvalaska; 11/07/13.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They trained us most every year, before the winter drilling season, to be certified USF&W polar bear hazers. Then they would hire natives to do the job instead.

Given the fact they can legally shoot polar bears anytime, the paperwork mess involved in an oil company employee shooting a polar bear has to be a lot simpler if it's a native.

It made sense to me, even if I had rather been the guy with the gun.

Brian

IC B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For medical stuff, keep an eye on Fairweather...

https://fairweather.applicantpro.com/jobs/

Brian

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the info' guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gus wants me to ask

"who's stealing all of our bears? and why aren't they guarding them better?"

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's the guys who are eating the earth who are stealing the bears.
They're eating the bear guards, too.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I was a certified beer guard. I got fired. Pisser!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang earth eaters anyway! grin

las even I know better than to have the fox guard the hen house!

who the hades left you in charge? oh elbow, er I mean iron bender?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bastid! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you know it makes me lonesome for mom when you call me by the pet name she gave me...

so stop it! I feel tears formin up

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Randy, Mom ever tell you that you're a *sensitive* Bastid?

But, back to the thread.

I know a couple of guys that worked bear guard for seis crews fall to spring. Most of it is be done on word-of-mouth and personal recos and most hired are guides, outfitters, etc., not 'regular' fellers.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Another source is the several gold mines in operation, But as always due to insurance issues the contractor is the point of hire. Goldbelt supplies the safety officers in South East. The Forest Service employees do the work at bear viewing locations. The USDA is always in need of Wildlife Technicians to do control work at airports, island fox eradication, Sea duck nest work on the Slope and seasonal duties on the Islands, Most of the work is with gulls and waterfowl but mammals need to be pushed off the runways also. PM me I will forward your name to the State Director. Expect locality pay plus G4...you have to want to do the work...not big money job!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Uncas, is the State Director for Bear Guard work, or wildlife control/eradication ?

Do you have a link, phone # or complete company name and location for Goldbelt ?

Thanks.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
PM incomming.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 260Remguy, 1234, 38 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.