Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm so firmly opinionated on the difference between 7mm and .300 magnums that I own three of each.

Yep, I KNOW how THAT goes, I am so much the same vis-a-vis the superb .338WM and the fine, old 9,3x62, that, even after some hard "culling" of my rifle collection since 2011, I still have six of the former and four of the latter and am perhaps going to have a 9.3x64B. built on the Brno ZG-47 action now at my smith's having a Dakota 3-pos. installed.

"Riflelooney" really doesn't describle us, "raving maniac gunaholic" is more like it, eh!!! smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmmmmmm, let me understand this, because Tanner is younger than Bob he can possibly have hunted as much or know as much as Bob........... great internet logic!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would never imply that I know as much as Bob or have hunted as much as him. I've just shot both cartridges in question enough to know what I like, and why. laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will be glad when this long rang hunting fad, obsession with BC burns out...And it will.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

Now please don't forget, I am not disparaging you nor the knowledge you posses for your age.

Jerry

I sincerely meant that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BTW I just shot a pronghorn last week at 600+ yards with a 25-06AI, using 100gr Barnes TSX's that have the BC of a brick and using a BR scope. The horror!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I will be glad when this long rang hunting fad, obsession with BC burns out...And it will.

+1 It creates confusion in my gun trading wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by BobinNH
If a 277 bullet,a 30 caliber bullet,and a 7mm bullet, all have a BC of (say) .625; and all three are started at the same velocity....how is one "better" than the other at long range in terms of flight?

Answer: where exterior ballisitics is concerned, they are equal smile

Thank you,Jordan. smile

That's what I was trying to figure out. Thought I mighta missed something.

Sure is tough to get a straight answer around here....lots of people like to dance around a bit. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Never really paid attention to lighter game, but game over say 1000 pounds. Between the 7 Rem 7 STW and the 300 Win the 300 is better at the heavy lifting.And yes own all 3 killed many animals over 1000 pounds with all 3.

Thanks Mike...thought I was losing my [bleep] marbles....it'll happen if you listen too much to the numbers horsehidt spewed around here.

Tanner is a bright young guy.He has the goods and the hunting opportunities. If he takes his 280 AI,and his grandad's 300 Improved,feeds them both good bullets,and watches them both perform on lots of animals over the next 20 years, I'd like to hear his views on which is the more potent BG cartridge.
But I think I already know what he's going to say.

Besides, considering his age....and mine....Tanner would hunt my ass into the ground. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/08/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by BWalker

Great post and very logical! I couldn't agree more and like my hard hitting 300's!

Good Shooting!
IC B3

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ya, it will, but its an evolutionary step away from the round nose. Manufacturer's of bullets will have to produce better products because science proves it and the public will demand it...............all in the sake of cleaner kills, our quarry deserves this much.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tanner is a bright young guy.He has the goods and the hunting opportunities. If he takes his 280 AI,and his grandad's 300 Improved,feeds them both good bullets,and watches them both perform on lots of animals over the next 20 years, I'd like to hear his views on which is the more potent BG cartridge.
But I think I already know what he's going to say.

Me too.

I think he's gonna say that 300 is a stone killer, but it kicks like a mofo!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

In no particular order!!

There is NOT as much L R hunting ACTUALLY done Compared to how many TALK it.. I had a thread on the L R forum on THAT subject.

There were only a FEW. Less than 10, who said they killed game 500 yds and out.

OTOH the subject of B C has merit for more than L R comparisons.
Yes B C is more important at L R because it relates the aerodynamics of bullets.

300 yds. Is not considered L R yet B C is relative for 300 yd. shooting/hunting.

To state the OBVIOUS the B C numbers relate the efficiency of different bullets in flight. Many or most Xs experienced shooters can tell the relative efficiency by simply looking (for short range, 300 yds. or less)

I found B C and S D particularly helpful as an inexperienced handloader. Yes I know that S D changes or dissipates upon impact BUT....

S D relates the penetrating quality of bullets of the SAME construction.

eg. Using the same bullet manufacturer with the same construction B C & S D indicates flight & penetration between lighter & heavier bullets.

IMO - IMO more people use the numbers of Bergers or Scenars to prove their points THAN actually USE those bullets for hunting.

I am OLD SCHOOL, if ya can't tell <G>, and for 400 yds. And less these high numbers from Berger aren't nearly as important.

If I never read or hear about Bergers again, I would not miss it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In no particular order!!

There is NOT as much L R hunting ACTUALLY done Compared to how many TALK it.. I had a thread on the L R forum on THAT subject.

Yes B C is more important at L R because it relates the aerodynamics of bullets.

300 yds. Is not considered L R yet B C is relative for 300 yd. shooting/hunting.

To state the OBVIOUS the B C numbers relate the efficiency of different bullets in flight. Many or most Xs experienced shooters can tell the relative efficiency by simply looking (for short range, 300 yds. or less)

I found B C and S D particularly helpful as an inexperienced handloader. Yes I know that S D changes or dissipates upon impact BUT....

eg. Using the same bullet manufacturer with the same construction B C & S D indicates flight & penetration between lighter & heavier bullets.

IMO - IMO more people use the numbers of Bergers or Scenars to prove their points THAN actually USE those bullets for hunting.

I am OLD SCHOOL, if ya can't tell <G>, and for 400 yds. And less these high numbers from Berger aren't nearly as important.

Out in the wilds of British Columbia, 400yds is a long poke. Depending on the style of hunting one can be set up with a view out 800+ yds. In the interior where I live wind is generally not a factor, animals are big so your going to endure some recoil to get the job done. Bergers will respond positively at these extended ranges, closer in <400 yds the AccuBond gets the nod. Its all about the situation you create for yourself and the tools to do the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner

You're learnin...just not quite there yet.
Jerry

I'm not sure where "there" is.

My experience with both is the basis for my arguments, and I firmly believe that energy is a crap designator in examining ballistics and terminal performance.

There is a pretty considerable difference in a 7mm 180gr VLD and a .30 180gr NBT, even with the 30 starting 150fps faster. I've seen it, and shot both.

My point being- the 7mm offers the most for the least.

And 6.5s take that even further.

Tanner

Let me SPLAIN it this way.

How many 'years' experience do you have with the 7 & 300 mags?

How many HEAD of B G have you taken with BOTH??

IMO - IMO, you are a FEW yrs. and MUCH B G behind BobNH and his experience and OBSERVATION has more weight.

A 7mm 180 VLD ----APPLES
A 300 180 NBT ----ORANGES

They are NOT shaped (BC) the same. For a VALID comparison for ACCURATE results, the bullets MUST be comparable.

180 vs 180 ain't where it's at: e.g. a 700 HP NASCAR race car and a 700 HP Mack truck ARE NOT COMPARABLE.

Regardless of what you read HERE on the fire, BC AND SD have bearing on bullet comparisons.

As to 'energy' figures, that IS MATH. Mass AT Speed = WORK (energy)

The VALID comparison is to use as close to the same BC & SD at the velocity each cartridge is capable OF PRODUCING.

I know that 'energy' figures are poo poo'd around here, ever wonder WHY? The simple FACT is w/o energy, nothing gets done.

As to the 6.5s --- There ain't ONE 6.5 commercial cartridge that's in the same ballpark with the 300 WM.

Now please don't forget, I am not disparaging you nor the knowledge you posses for your age.

THERE , is still more.

Jerry

I'd be willing to bet that each year of Tanner's shooting experience is equal to 5 years experience of most guys here on the fire.

You may want to revisit your physics books and double check those equations wink
Energy figures are poo poo'd when it comes to hunting because killing results are not at all proportionate, nor directly correlated with energy numbers. There are plenty of more important factors when it comes to killing something.

You're learning, but you're not THERE yet. smile

The same can be said of ALL of us. The fool is the man who has decided that he has nothing more to learn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

Wind can certainly kick a guy's butt a lot closer than 400 or 500 yards...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another crazy thread. laugh

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In no particular order!!

So much here and the last few posts to discredit I don't know with which to start.

I've killed at long range. I've never gone out ONLY to kill at long range, I simply want to be able to use my equipment with competency. If it's capable of killing at 1000 yards I want to have the skill to allow it to.

How pitiful it would be to own a Ferrari and only be skilled enough at to drive 55?

You really need to get out more or actually go to the range with someone who has a [bleep] clue smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
After reading all these posts, it has become clear. The .264 Win Mag can shoot a lighter bullet with just as high a BC and recoil less, so it is better than the 7mm Mag and the 300 Mag.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your goal is high BC bullets going fast, with the least amount of recoil possible, then I would agree 100%. There aren't any that are slicker than a 180 VLD, though...

I can't even come close to agreeing with the "fad" thing about high BC bullets. They make hitting things easier and that's all I needed to know. I suppose LRFs, turrets, and synthetic stocks were fads at one point too.

Tanner

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.