Print Thread
Hop To
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat story.

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The guy that stole the bike should have his dick amputated too.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kend

+1

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the years I have had 1 motorcycle, Honda 750, and one car, Pontiac Firebird, stolen.
Of course I called the cops. They fill out a report. Never saw either one again.
Sad to say but stolen motorcycles ( and cars ) is a very common crime in modern America. mad

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The cops around here are only interested in stolen cars when some reckless bastard parks it on top of their donut.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kend

Very doubtful the current owner or seller had any knowledge of it being stolen. Not too many bike thieves hang on to it for 47 years.

Nice thought though. smirk

Sean
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Taking into consideration the reliability issues of 50's era Triumph motorcycles, unless the guy who stole it was an ace mechanic with a savant's abilities at diagnosing and repairing Lucas electrics, the bike probably had only accumulated 50 miles since it was stolen half a century ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by anachronism
The cops around here are only interested in stolen cars when some reckless bastard parks it on top of their donut.

The same thing around here. When I reported the stolen motorcycle the cops seemed to just be going thru the drill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have an expensive motorcycle, you also need a garage to keep it in.
Because if your bike is outside, chained to a big tree and with a tarp over it,
then some low life SOB is going to try an steal it.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Odd how someone's motorcycle or car is stolen and the anger is directed at the police rather than the person that took it. I guess since you don't know who that person is, then a known target will do.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotload
If you have an expensive motorcycle, you also need a garage to keep it in.
Because if your bike is outside, chained to a big tree and with a tarp over it,
then some low life SOB is going to try an steal it.

Many years ago, I knew a guy in Sacramento who claimed to have owned the first Honda Gold Wing in California and have no reason to doubt him, he was a pretty straight shooter. Anyway, he only had it less than a week, he used a very large chain and padlock to chain it to a tree right outside his bedroom window, gone the next morning, bike, chain and padlock too. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brothers practice is to put the lock in the end links on the chain. Then whether the thief cuts the lock or chain there is a high probability that you will be left with nearly a full length chain. Providing they don't take the chain too.

The Sheriffs office told me that the serial number I gave them from my 96 Polaris 400 wasn't a good number. I showed them a number on the frame of my brothers 96 Polaris 400 (The crooks tried to take it too, but couldn't cut the chain.) that was only two numbers different from the one I had stolen. They still said it didn't meet the correct format and wasn't a good number. crazy

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brothers practice is to put the lock in the end links on the chain. Then whether the thief cuts the lock or chain there is a high probability that you will be left with nearly a full length chain. Providing they don't take the chain too.

The Sheriffs office told me that the serial number I gave them from my 96 Polaris 400 wasn't a good number. I showed them a number on the frame of my brothers 96 Polaris 400 (The crooks tried to take it too, but couldn't cut the chain.) that was only two numbers different from the one I had stolen. They still said it didn't meet the correct format and wasn't a good number. crazy

But they went home safe that night. I met a retired D.A. last week. He told me that was the police's number one priority.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ringman, they may have been trying to enter the numbers as a vehicle which has 17 numbers and letters. Recreational vehicles have a different set of numbers and sometimes must be entered as "property" or as a "recreational vehicle" in the NCIC data. That may have been the reason the numbers did not meet the format. Same thing with Bobcats, Backhoes and Bull Dosers, they can not be entered like a motor vehicle...
Also some of the recreational vehicles will have several different numbers stamped on different places on the frame. One set of numbers may not be what is needed to be entered. The correct ones are usually on the yoke and are hidden or at least hard to find. The dealership should be able to tell you where the right numbers are stamped....good luck

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,477
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.