Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
How fast is fast enough for dicking around on the internet and watching Netflix? Anybody here using Century Link for the internet, and if so how would you rate it? Got a flyer in the mail that promises $99.95 per month for three years for TV, Inet, and phone. I've been pretty happy with Comcast's service but I'm very weary of the constant rate rape. Comcast advertises speeds "up to" 20 Mbps but Century is only 1.5 Mbps and that's got me spooked. I'm not looking to go back to dial up speeds but I'm completely ignorant on the subject.

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Switched last week from COX here in AZ to Century Link and no difference in speed yet, works good... TV is much better but we had as basic as you could get from COX. No land line phone.

Kent

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine is $39 a month for 10mbps from Centurytel. Who needs phone?
Charter tried selling me phone. I said I'd have trouble with the cable when I got in my car and the cable wasn't long enough

Last edited by wildbill59; 11/11/13.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i kind of have a combined bill from century. my cellphone verizona bill is on there, my t.v. hookup through direct t.v., and the computer. I have had this for several years and no issues.
We use a router, with usb cable for several computers, and wireless for others. Never been an issue.
I got ticked at cox a few years ago for basically not telling me the truth on multiple issues.
I also got ticked that courtesy of a virus protection program i had when i found that the cox home page was continually putting advertising tracking cookies on my machine.
I might add about the time i switched over i had just bought one of those 50inch or so t.v.'s. The guy installing it showed my what it looked like on cox, and no comparison to direct t.v.
the other issue was as cox increased its subscribers in the area, the speed was slowing down. That century tel line is mine.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/11/13.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We just switched to dish and century link. The TV and internet is good, the phone stinks. Lot's of static. They'll give you some kind of filter that helps but doesn't fix it. We're gonna have a talk soon.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 1.5 is the lowest speed at my location 20 Mbps is possible, it all depends on what you would like to spend. I have the 5 Mbps speed and it will run Netflix on the TV and a laptop on YouTube at the same time.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Service was slow, but tolerable; certainly well below advertised.

Overall, self immolation would be an easier pill to swallow than century link internet. The absolute, bar none, worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Run, don't walk, away from century link. Get anything else possible, even a MIFI device from Verizon.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We have the phone and internet service, not TV. Although advertised as 1.5MPS it usually is less than 1.2 . All depends on how many you are sharing with. Cost is about $80/month.

Probably not great for a computer loonies, but for the average person that gets on the internet, does email, checks some forums ,etc. it's OK. Probably faster, but more expensive accounts are available

We have not had big call to use customer service, but the few times we did, it's OK

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Service was slow, but tolerable; certainly well below advertised.

Overall, self immolation would be an easier pill to swallow than century link internet. The absolute, bar none, worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Run, don't walk, away from century link. Get anything else possible, even a MIFI device from Verizon.

+ a million

they were the only option other than Sat internet for my office a year ago, they promised me all kind of things if I singed a 3 year contract and locked in the price, I didn't have much a choice so I did it. Well most of the features they promised are not available in my area, simple things like call waiting, just last month we finally got voice mail.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
They charged me a $250 disconnect when I got orders to Korea. I tried multiple times to rectify the situation...they have a military clause. While I was arbitrating with them, they sent the bill to collections...CROOKS!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Century Link is fine until you run into a problem.

Their customer service suks beyond suks. In order to speak to anyone you'll go through a long lengthy phone menu, punch one ... punch two ... before you finally get connected to a "consultant" in India and then you have to endure a long and lengthy set of questions with an idiot reading a script ... and ... and ...

If you have an alternative jump on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a 20+ year customer, the bastards would not even comp a modem when mine took a crap after 14 months. They wanted $99 to replace it. I bought one for $40 on Ebay. The alternative here is Cableone.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looks like I've got some more research to do. Pretty sure my choices around here are Comcast, Dish with Century Link, and Direct TV with Century Link. Thanks for the input.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next door neighbor tried it. Speeds were well below the advertised rate. He recently canceled it and went back to Comcast cable internet. He works as an IT manager at a medical imaging company. I use Comcast internet myself. The speed and reliability are exceptional.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our internet speed is 3 mps. It's slightly slow for Netflix. A movie will have to pause to load a few times during the show. It's not serious but can be annoying during a good scene.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With Comcast internet I am getting 29 Mbps. Comcast has all fiber optic cable installed where I live. Century Link is DSL. Here is a link to general information about DSL vs cable.

DSL vs Cable

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Beargrease
With Comcast internet I am getting 29 Mbps. Comcast has all fiber optic cable installed where I live. Century Link is DSL. Here is a link to general information about DSL vs cable.

DSL vs Cable

While there is some fairly useful information at that site most of it is 10 years old. I the last 3years DSL has improved dramatically in our area we have fiber optic to within a few hundred yards of the homes and the actual speeds check to at least what my service says I should be getting (5mbps) the fastest speed available is 20 Mbps. A friend down the road has the 20 Mbps service and it always checks at least that.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The article is a little dated but the DSL vs cable concepts are still valid. One or the other will give you the best speed where you live. I have a cousin you lives in the country in SD but gets great speeds with DSL. A few years ago the local phone company there installed fiber optic cable throughout the area.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our ISP is nettally.com but CenturyLink DSL is the pipe. We get short outages, long outages but nettally handles CenturyLink from their end and they do it well. Would not want to deal with CenturyLink support myself. Wouldn't consider Sat internet here in SW Florida, to many weather outs. Would not want a bundle, separate is good, one comm goes down you still have another.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the centurylink combo... phone, tv (Dish), and internet package. As the prices went up, I started cancelling things.

First I took the tv off and switched to direct and got about 50% savings for a year, then the regular price for another year, and then I'll probably change again. Saved about $500-$600 and didnt lose a thing.

Then I got Magic-Jack. Roughly $75 initial cost, then about $30 per year. I had to keep a home phone because of my business.

When I dropped the phone service, centurylink raised my internet price from $10/mth to about $45/mth. As far as I know, we dont have another internet provider in this rural area, unless we go to satellite.

Centurylink just changed their email set-up (11-4-13) and now I have to got thru 5 pages to see my email. Old system I had to go to 2 pages.

I cant stand them!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (260Remguy, 1badf350, 300_savage, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 270wsmnutt, 25 invisible), 16,833 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,135
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.