Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I want one

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Notice he has a nice recoil pad on it. smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I still want one

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm thinkin' you'd need a plentiful supply of operating rods.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Not if the porting is done correctly and the proper burn rate of powder is used.

It would have to be properly engineered. It appears some attention was paid to that, the ejection doesn't seem to be overly violent.

Then there are those adjustable plugs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Not if the porting is done correctly and the proper burn rate of powder is used.

It would have to be properly engineered.

Maybe so.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, you can do about anything with a gas operated gun if its worked up correctly.

You just have to understand how they work and what they need on a burning curve and how much port presssure you'll end up with.

In fact its a guess of mine with proper porting you could run M1 06 with powders you are not supposed to, if the calcs and porting were changed.

Its how we came up with running the 90s in 223 AR15 with no issues. Without smaller ports the 90s and their powder were not a great thing, lots of rim lifts from the first go round when we knew we had no pressure to speak of yet.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In fact its a guess of mine with proper porting you could run M1 06 with powders you are not supposed to, if the calcs and porting were changed.

You are correct. Adjustable plugs are available in two designs, called the Schuster and McCann plugs, that feature adjustable orifices for bleeding off excess gas pressure.

A third and interesting design is by Eric Claypool, called the Ported Plug, and uses the principle of volume of area to lessen the peak pressure but provides a larger volume to continue to operate the action. A lower peak but more time under the curve. This allows for slower powders and heavier bullets to be used.

You can read his write-up and view well-presented data on his webpage, GarandGear.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Maybe so.

No maybe. It's a fact.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't the whole idea of a semi-auto to get multiple shots on target? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Maybe so.

No maybe. It's a fact.

+1

Yup,......Forget 'maybe", chitcan the skepticism. That system defines adaptability, .....and in this country, properly engineering something is not about pipe dreams.

Neat stuff !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's a balance of mass (bolt), spring rates, velocity of the bullet in the barrel (this affects time under the curve), and how much ooomph, in both volume and pressure, is needed at the piston. There are other factors, but this is a simple version so I can understand it.

The shape of the Op-rod will lend itself to bending, and even ol' John C. said it could use improvement, but the Government took it as it was.

The version we know and love so well is an adaptation of his original design for a smaller caliber, but Gen. MacArthur (SP?) was adamant about it being in .30-gov.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MacArthur was right too. We had 30-06 rounds, and logistics won the war.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 11/12/13.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Absolutely

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are the real McCoy and were built here in WA (not sure if they are still around) . A few buddies had them in .458WM and .338WM. IIRC they run like $2200.

Google McCann Industries for more info.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Maybe so.

Well, I know one fact is this. A steady diet of 190's in a stock Garand will ruin the op rod.
No maybe. It's a fact.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Well, I know one fact is this. A steady diet of 190's in a stock Garand will ruin the op rod.
No maybe. It's a fact.

That's because in it's standard configuration it is not set up for a steady diet of 190 grain bullets. There are ways to work around that. Schuster and McCann plugs are one way, easily obtained and not expensive at about $35. I know guys who are running 208 AMAXs and IMR4350 with the right mods. Which is those 35 dollar plugs.

A Garand's gas system is designed around the M1 and M2 loads, more specifically the M2. If you get away from those loads in powder burn rate or bullet weight (150 to 175 grain), you will bend the op-rod.

Tune the system to the load and you'll be good to go.

Heavy bullets play havoc with a standard Garand gas system due to the time under the pressure curve as much as total pressure due to the lower velocity, giving the system time to take on more volume of gas and continue to accelerate even if the burn rate of the powder is correct. This can lead to battering and bending from continued use due to the reciprocating parts moving too fast. The heel of the receiver can become another area that fails, too.

Increasing the volumetric capacity of your system(GarandGear), or bleeding the excess off(McCann or Shuster), will allow you to eliminate or significantly reduce any problems you may have. Keep the reciprocating speed near design parameters and your parts will last.

I use the GarandGear plug in mine.

I haven't built a whole lot of Garands, and the ones I have only have been in .30-06 and .308. But looking at the ejection pattern, I'd say that particular gas system is pretty well engineered correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .458 Win ought to be a great cartridge in the M1 gas-wise. It uses relatively fast powders which should give fairly low port pressure.

The only real problem I see is bedding. M1s don't have great bedding surfaces and soft stocks (like beech) shoot loose quite rapidly just from the recoil of 30/06. I'd have the receiver lugged and use a laminate stock.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Absolutely

as i posted on another thread: Interesting enough saturday i went to look at a mint asaki landing rifle that a 90 year old vet had. he was considering selling, and i told him i was interested.
he was on McArthur's staff in 1946 in japan. He showed me a loaded round he had confused with going with the asaki. It was a 1935 F.A. (frankfurt arsonel) 30.06 round that he had brought home with him. Interesting in that it was made 10years prior to the conclusion of the war. While the m1 Garand was to be basically a .270, all that ammo is what influenced the decision for 30.06. I have some spam cans of ammo dating back to WWII in the pacific. Almost tempting, to open it to see the headstamps, but not going to do it.
The japanese rife by the way was pristine, with the mum on it, leather sling, mint bayonet/scabbard. only hope he sells it to me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,384
Posts18,527,611
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.