Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt in both rifle and shotgun zones. In shotgun zones over the years I've always thought there must be a better way to put wounded deer down than with a 12 ga. slug at close range. That's why almost 10 years ago I started carrying the German Luger my late uncle brought home from Germany in 1945. He hunted in his younger days and we once talked about using it for something like that. Couple years ago in tribute to him I used it to finish off a buck wounded by my 12 ga. slug gun. Gave him a couple rounds to the back of the head/neck area.. He expired... If that happens again this coming season should I use the same area for the finishing shot? Or is there a better option? Two years ago I used NATO spec 124 gr. 9mm FMJ ammo but I also have some Hornady Custom 9mm with a 124 gr. XTP bullet. At very close range they'd probably both be sufficient but where's the best place on the deer to put 'em? I could carry a .38/357 or even a 44 mag for such duty but this is for my late uncle because he would have loved my using his old Luger for something like that.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If the shot is solid and the goodies gone and the deer is on the ground going for his last few gasps I just let them expire out. If the deer is just wounded and needs more to bring it an end, I'll be using the weapon I started the fight with.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hand guns in New York, be careful.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Especially if a handgun is not a legal method of take.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And it would be a shame to lose an authentic German Luger.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If the shot is solid and the goodies gone and the deer is on the ground going for his last few gasps I just let them expire out. If the deer is just wounded and needs more to bring it an end, I'll be using the weapon I started the fight with.

^^^^^^^

This.

An extra cartridge in the pocket is less stuff to pack around than a pistol.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Steelhead

^^^^^^^

This.

An extra cartridge in the pocket is less stuff to pack around than a pistol.

+2

I carry one cheap factory round in my left front pants pocket. Have rarely used it. Either the critter needs more shooting pronto and you go with what's in the rifle, or it is far enough gone to back off a few steps and let it go out in peace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't know of any states that a 9mm is a legal method of take.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Actually its legal in MT. Wouldn't make it my first choice�but its legal�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
According to the geniuses that make the rules for handgun hunting in NY state I could actually take a shot at an UNwounded deer with not only a 9mm but even with a 25 ACP and still be legal. Not that I ever would. For you NYS guys it's on page 26 of the hunting & trapping regulations book where, under implement descriptions for big game it states under HANDGUN -" ANY CENTERFIRE PISTOL OR REVOLVER. BARREL LENGTH MAY NOT EXCEED 16 INCHES. NOTE: NONRESIDENTS MAY NOT USE HANDGUNS TO HUNT IN NEW YORK". I got the idea of using a handgun because using heavy artillery at close range is sort of overkill on a wounded animal. I've read stories of wounded elk being put down with handguns, and game keepers in the U.K. doing that on incapacitated deer over there and calling it "Humane Dispatch". Besides; 9mm is a lot cheaper than 12 ga. sabots, (grin) and it's my tribute to an old hunter and a member of the "greatest generation". So am I doing this right? If a deer is down but not dead when I walk up to it I'm not gonna stand around waiting for it to expire. I've always felt hunting ethics call for a quick, clean harvest.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Does that law apply for shotgun season too?

As an example here in Colorado. You can finish off an animal with a handgun if it's legal to hunt with that weapon during the season you're hunting. So, using a handgun during bow, or muzzleloader season is illegal.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's legal during regular gun season only. You can use handguns in either a shotgun or a rifle zone during regular (not bow or muzzleloader) season so it sounds pretty similar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
don't know of any states that a 9mm is a legal method of take.

We can use even a .22 here. Used a 9mm many times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the info, many states out here require not only caliber but either case length or energy thresholds that must be met.

figure the OP should be aware of that, thanks for enlightening me

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You guys seriously worry about the legality of crap like this? Just shoot the [bleep] deer. The 9mm will work fine. Shoot it in the brain, or if you're worried about the cape shoot it in the lungs. I've finished off many, many deer with a 22 LR or 22 Mag in similar fashion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't imagine a 9mm fmj to the brains not doing the trick if don't want to waste the $$12ga. And I get the paying tribute to your uncle part too. Seems legal so why not.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
You guys seriously worry about the legality of crap like this? Just shoot the [bleep] deer. The 9mm will work fine. Shoot it in the brain, or if you're worried about the cape shoot it in the lungs. I've finished off many, many deer with a 22 LR or 22 Mag in similar fashion.

This is what "kit guns" are made for. Blowing the top of a bleating does' skull off with an 06 is really, really poor form, just because you are too [bleep] fat and lazy to pack a proper pistol.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Its leagle in Mi. also keep using it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good friend is a State Trooper. Before ISP switched over to .40's he put down many deer with his 9mm duty pistol with a shot to the head. He was using LEO only +P+ 115 gr hp.

Last edited by minengr; 11/12/13.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

So many nanny states... its illegal here in TX to use a rimfire too... I've done it many times though.. Its not like I"m "hunting" with a rimfire, though I've hunted and killed untold numbers of feral pigs with a 22 psitol and HPs.... just lung em and its dead, or brain em... either or.
This isn't rocket science. And sometimes you just end up ignoring the "law" to do the right thing in the instance.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.