-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

EVERY serious rifle looney needs a 458 win or 458 LOTT! mostly because your collections not complete without a dangerous game rifle and once reality sets in, because a 45 caliber bolt action rifle can use , home made cast bullets and still be very effective, on deer and elk.
yes you can use cast bullets in smaller calibers but a properly loaded 45 caliber has a good deal more range and stopping power than something like a 30/30 loaded with those comparable cartridges.
besides youll have a good rifle that with proper handloads , obviously these are far reduced from the cartridges full potential, but they make much less recoil and the light loads actually fun to shoot and can be used for any game

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

[Linked Image]
25 grains of TRAIL BOSS makes a good small game load

[Linked Image]
55 grains of IMR 3031 and this bullet makes a good effective deer and elk load

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=5866

Last edited by 340mag; 11/11/13.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Because it will be so easy to drill holes for ice fishing with it. Just remember to open the windows and doors to your ice shanty before touching that bastid off.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Seriously, it occurred to me today that I most definitely need one but I'm not sure why. Biggest thin i hunt is Wisconsin whitetails already have a 270 a 308 and a 300 Win Mag. Usually just grab the 270 and go. So why do I need a 458 Win Mag?

You don't.

If you want to scratch an itch for something that gives a meaningful "gain" over a 270 or 300 magnum,and has some real use for North America,get a 375 H&H or Ruger.

If that brown bear hunt falls into your lap, you are then ready to go;ditto for Africa.And you still have the additional power and trajectory to deal with a distant elk or moose without looking ridiculous on a mountain.If you want, download a 235 gr bullet and shoot your whitetail....or kill him with a 300 gr bullet if you want.

It is plenty big enough on the range that it will roll you around enough to be fun without killing you,and most are scary-accurate.

That makes waaayyy too much sense!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Because your yard squirrels are showing too much attitude when they raid the bird feeder. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously, it occurred to me today that I most definitely need one but I'm not sure why. Biggest thin i hunt is Wisconsin whitetails already have a 270 a 308 and a 300 Win Mag. Usually just grab the 270 and go. So why do I need a 458 Win Mag?

To shoot stuff

But

You most likely need a 458 Lott

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You don't.

If you want to scratch an itch for something that gives a meaningful "gain" over a 270 or 300 magnum,and has some real use for North America,get a 375 H&H or Ruger.

If that brown bear hunt falls into your lap, you are then ready to go;ditto for Africa.And you still have the additional power and trajectory to deal with a distant elk or moose without looking ridiculous on a mountain.If you want, download a 235 gr bullet and shoot your whitetail....or kill him with a 300 gr bullet if you want.

It is plenty big enough on the range that it will roll you around enough to be fun without killing you,and most are scary-accurate.

That makes waaayyy too much sense!

greenbrier, then we know it won't work here! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If you scratch that itch I will join you at the range cause I never shot one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
Years ago I passed on a model 70 African that was offered to me at a gun show for a song. I have always sort of regretted passing on that beautiful rifle. In the 20 yrs that have ensued I have not had one instance that a 45-70 equivalent load would have cost me a deer. I say get it if you want it load up some 300 gr bullets or 405 gr sp to about 1700 fps -1500fps respectively and use that bad boy.

I hunt with some guys that like big bore rifles and have seen deer killed with 450-400's and even a 577-450 double rifle. Loaded correctly they do a great job on deer w/o much meat damage.

I've killed lots deer with a 45-70 loaded with a 405 gr bullet to 1800 FPS.........nothing, I mean, absolutely nothing puts a deer down as instantly as that round & it's easy to dupe that in the 4-5-8.

Knocks hell outta elk in the timber at shorter ranges as well.

Little to no meat damage.

Go for it & enjoy I'd say.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by bangeye
Years ago I passed on a model 70 African that was offered to me at a gun show for a song. I have always sort of regretted passing on that beautiful rifle. In the 20 yrs that have ensued I have not had one instance that a 45-70 equivalent load would have cost me a deer. I say get it if you want it load up some 300 gr bullets or 405 gr sp to about 1700 fps -1500fps respectively and use that bad boy.

I hunt with some guys that like big bore rifles and have seen deer killed with 450-400's and even a 577-450 double rifle. Loaded correctly they do a great job on deer w/o much meat damage.

I've killed lots deer with a 45-70 loaded with a 405 gr bullet to 1800 FPS.........nothing, I mean, absolutely nothing puts a deer down as instantly as that round & it's easy to dupe that in the 4-5-8.

Knocks hell outta elk in the timber at shorter ranges as well.

Little to no meat damage.

Go for it & enjoy I'd say.

MM

Sage wisdom right here.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Because it's there.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hunterjrg

If you scratch that itch I will join you at the range cause I never shot one.

You're on. It'll be spring or more likely summer before I can do it but...Dang it I just like rifles with a nice "boom" factor so much cooler than the "bang"s and "crack"s.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Size is everything.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you want to be pedestrian then you need the .458 WinMag. If you are in to keeping up with the Jones then get a .458 Lott. If you want to be known for your classic good taste and refinement, you need a .404 Jeffery.

Last edited by cdb; 11/12/13.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just because you want one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know how close you live to your local zoo, but I live less than 4 miles from our Riverbanks Zoo. I thoroughly expect to wake up one morning to find an escaped rhino grazing in the back yard, or more likely having a bull hippo cooling himself off in the mud hole in the front yard that I've put off filling in. When it happens, and it will, I'll be the neighborhood hero when I take care of the problem with either my trusty .404 Jeffery or my .411 KDF Magnum. Do I need either of these for the deer I typically hunt? Nah (although I have used them for such). But when the inevitable happens, I'll be prepared! I suggest you do the same! grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Reasons:

1. To help practice flinching.
2. To annoy those people that moved into the new housing estate near the rifle range and then complained about the noise.
3. To make sure the varmints stay dead:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because Dirty Harry had one. Model 70 [Linked Image]

Last edited by southwind; 11/12/13.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Don't confuse needs with wants. I bought a used M77 in 458 about 30 years ago and have shot the fool out of it with everything from full loads to pipsqueek loads. It is an easy shooter and quite accurate with 300 grain Barnes.

I donated it to a Friends of the NRA banquet several years ago because my old neck is getting tired of heavy recoil and because I wanted someone else to share in the fun of having one.

I suppose I can take care of most elephants or rhinos that come by my place with carefully placed shots from a 375 H&H and am not worried about my reduction in firepower.

If you really want impressive performance, try a 50 BMG. I borrowed a friend's AR50 earlier this fall and had a blast. It was loud but recoiled very little with the muzzle brake. It kicked about like a 243. At 40 pounds, however, it was not a rifle I would want to drag through the woods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What if the animals in the zoo get out? Duh

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
You need a .458 because I have a nice one I would like to sell.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 222ND, 1badf350, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.