-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does a 'pre-safety' 1895 necessarily equate to ballard rifling?

Where all of the Marlin levers (1895 especially) roll marked with "Micro Groove" if they were micro-grooved rifles?

I'm in the market for a pre-Remington 1895. Preferably pistol grip stock (checkered would be nice), ballard rifling, and 22" barrel. I can live with the cross-bolt safety function, but am not a fan of micro-groove rifling.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do end up with a cross-bolt safety version, five minutes and a couple of common tools will cure any problems with the safety, and is completely reversible.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Don't get all upset about the cross bolt safty. I have real Marlins with and without the cross bolt safty. If you don't like the safty just don't use it, but the safty is good to use when unloading. Dave

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not gonna loose a lot of sleep over the cross bolt safety, if that's what I end up with. Pistol grip, 22" barrel, and ballard (6 groove) rifling are the priorities. Just not sure what non-Remlin years that ballard rifling was used/available.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Does a 'pre-safety' 1895 necessarily equate to ballard rifling?

Where all of the Marlin levers (1895 especially) roll marked with "Micro Groove" if they were micro-grooved rifles?

I'm in the market for a pre-Remington 1895. Preferably pistol grip stock (checkered would be nice), ballard rifling, and 22" barrel. I can live with the cross-bolt safety function, but am not a fan of micro-groove rifling.

No. Some pre-safety Marlins have micro groove but aren't marked on the barrel.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
If you do end up with a cross-bolt safety version, five minutes and a couple of common tools will cure any problems with the safety, and is completely reversible.

Could you elaborate on that, or provide me with a link? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have seen these used as an alternative. . . . Safety Delete

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by borden811
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Could you elaborate on that, or provide me with a link? Thanks in advance.

Pull the buttstock, and you will see a spring/plunger arrangement that loads the detent on the safety. It is on the left side of the receiver. The tension adjustment is done with an allen-head screw. Orient the safety into the "off" position, tighten screw down until safety won't move, reinstall buttstock.

Reversing the procedure can be done in the same amount of time, and all the parts are there if you want to restore operation of the safety for whatever reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do like the cleaner looks of a receiver that has the delete mod done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watch "Rio Bravo" again. These things look pit viper mean when carried hammer back. The cross bolt consecrates the practice.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks fellas! I think I might go the bear tooth route, mainly because it looks good.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have grown to like the CBS. It makes unloading the rifle safe which it is not without the safety. It makes dry firing gentle on the gun, so what's not to like? Don't tell me about missing the shot of a lifetime, that's the tell-tale sign of an inexperienced shooter.

Why the obsession with Ballard rifling? You have heard that myth that micro-groove barrels will not shoot cast bullets? That's a bit of scatology (BS) perpetuated by the mis-informed. I have 4 rifles in 45-70, both Micro-grooved and Ballard, and I have shot thousands of cast bullets (yes, thousands) in these rifles. If anything the Micro-groove is more accurate than the Ballard - certainly not less accurate. And the Micro-groove barrels are easier to clean. Does anyone have any proof that the Micro-groove is inferior to the Ballard?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reason *I* disabled the CBS is that I typically carry my rifle in front of me with a Safari Sling. The safety rests on me, was forever being pushed to the "on" position anytime I walked. Had this situation not occurred, I'd probably tolerate it for the positives you mention. But, I really don't need it if the chamber is "cold".

I've used a lever-action rifle for 43 seasons now, generally a M94 Winchester, which does not have the safety, and that's what I'm used to.

With both the .444 and .45-70 Marlins I've had/have, I've been able to unload simply by pressing the loading gate down. The Winchester .30-30 is not able to do that, so I have to cycle them through. That's when a safety would be a big plus.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,122
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.