Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

S.M.F.H

Just another of a multitude of reasons I'm ashamed to be a Californian where this buffoon would be called a "rancher".

http://www.sandiegolovesgreen.com/w...rnia-a-ranchers-perspective/#prettyPhoto

WELCOMING WOLVES BACK TO CALIFORNIA � A RANCHER�S PERSPECTIVE

My husband and I live on the Bar C R ranch in Petaluma, CA where we run 300 mother cows using predator friendly ranching methods. I am also an advisory board member of Project Coyote � a coalition of educators, scientists and predator-friendly ranchers who promote coexistence between people and wildlife. As someone who understands the importance and benefits that predators provide to both ranch lands and entire eco systems, I want to see the wolf recover in California.

Last week I spoke at a rally in Sacramento in support of maintaining federal protections for wolves under the Endangered Species Act (ESA)- and against a proposal put forth by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to delist wolves from the ESA. To delist wolves would be wrong in so many ways; these important canids are keystone species and necessary for the balance and health of wild creatures and wild places. To delist would be unscientific, counter-productive, and financially wasteful.

As important apex predators, wolves need and deserve protection across their historical range. And as they try to expand into their former range, they run the gauntlet of misinformed management that results in their needless death. Wolves are unaware that they are crossing political boundaries where they will face ever-changing policies ranging from excessive killing to nearly full protection. If they are not consistently protected with sound conservation strategies now, how will delisting improve their peril?

Many management tools and techniques have proven successful in preventing attacks on livestock. Ranchers who use non-lethal methods report lower losses from predation than those who use lethal methods. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as well as USDA Wildlife Services and State Fish and Game departments can promote and improve non-lethal methods.

Unfortunately, old traditions�even bad ones�die hard, and some ranchers will continue to engage in their war on wildlife, however real or imagined the threats might be. Delisting wolves sends ranchers the message that it is unnecessary for them to have systems in place to help prevent wolves from attacking their livestock in the first place.

Why are Wildlife Services, State Fish and Game department and hunters allowed a functional open season on wolves? They are ready and willing to kill any wolf that is considered a problem. The truth is, the wolf really isn�t the problem- rather it�s lack of coordinated management where wolves cross from a protected area to a kill zone: lack of effective management that provides good healthy habitat with sufficient game populations that together deter wolves from killing livestock and; lack of cost-effective management that should promote and implement non-lethal control measures.

In the last two centuries, we have shot, gassed, poisoned, trapped, and snared: bison, prairie dogs, badgers, grizzly bears, coyotes, wolves, foxes, bobcats and more, all because they pose some sort of threat to livestock.

Meanwhile, the American public has started to see that these animals we are killing actually play a valuable role in our ecosystem, and maybe the slash- and- burn way we are �controlling� wildlife isn�t sustainable. We overharvest the natural prey for predators like wolves; we take away their habitat and replace it with domestic livestock with little protection. We create the very problem that wolves are being killed for.

Ranchers should welcome the wolves back into California, not only for the ecological benefits they bring but because wolves were in California long before our sheep and cattle, and if we force the public to choose, they might decide that wolves are a more valuable resource than our livestock. If we devoted just half the money, time and energy towards learning to coexist with wolves as we have towards our war against them, livestock producers could save countless lives on both sides of the fence, while also building a new reputation as an ecologically responsible industry that has learned from its mistakes. We all would win. And then and only then might you might consider delisting the wolf from the endangered species list.

Proud NRA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would bet that she has not been in the cattle business long. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A cow is a cow, a hiefer a heifer, and a bull a bull. A "mother cow" is a name used by a non-ranch owning individual.

I stopped reading after the first sentence, no reason to fill my head with more lies.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cattle ranching in Petulama, CA..!!!

Just thinking about that makes me laugh...

Wait till this Hag has a calf half eaten by coyotes before it makes it out of the "mother cow", she'll be singing a different tune..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boise
A cow is a cow, a hiefer a heifer, and a bull a bull. A "mother cow" is a name used by a non-ranch owning individual.

I stopped reading after the first sentence, no reason to fill my head with more lies.

300 pair would be proper terminology.

"ranchers waging a war on wildlife......"

Last I heard rangeland is the only place left for wildlife. Subdivisions.....not so much.

The fact is most ranchers don't mind a healthy population of deer, elk, antelope. They don't compete for the same forage.

Wolves, much like free range bison, don't fit well in today's 'environment'.

Deer, elk, moose, etc., have enough to worry about without throwing wolves in the mix.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yes to this^. I'll go one further. this is probably a gentleman's ranch owned by some Hollywood millionaire, or other green millionaire. Where the cows dye of old age, and have funerals. Biggest load of DADDY COW CHIT so far today.

Take care, Willie

Last edited by wdenike; 11/15/13.

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The truth is, the wolf really isn�t the problem- rather it�s lack of coordinated management where wolves cross from a protected area to a kill zone: lack of effective management that provides good healthy habitat with sufficient game populations that together deter wolves from killing livestock"

I'm really wondering how those boundaries between protected areas & kill zones are known to the woof so he doesn't leave those protected areas?

Also wondering how this idiot thinks sufficient game populations can be maintained to feed the woofs so they don't take livestock, when the woofs go through healthy game populations & wipe them out in a matter of a few short years.

This woman's "ranch" won't be healthy for long if they have protected wolves in their area.......they'll have a feast until their livestock is gone.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This reminds me of a recent hunting trip I took near Hailey, ID. I started up a long single track road named Slaughterhouse Gulch. It was fenced on both sides and about every other post held a sign reading "Spirit Woman Ranch Keep Out". Well into the 2d mile of this, I came to the 'ranch'. It was a large cement slab with a very high dollar motor home parked on it and lots of flowers planted around it. There were no cattle, no barns, nothing other than an "Ive got mine, you keep out" attitude.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Last I heard rangeland is the only place left for wildlife. Subdivisions.....not so much.

Hence all the non-existent urban wildlife issues... whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"deter wolves from killing livestock"

Nothing deters wolves from killing livestock! They go for the easiest and most plentiful prey which will always be livestock.

if Californian's choose wolves over livestock, then let them dumbasses eat seaweed and everyone else refuse to ship any kind of meat to them.

Remember, this editorial was brought to you by the same idiots that ended mountain lion hunting in CA. Mountain lions now have found that humans and their pets are easy prey in CA.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 11/15/13.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm guessing she doesn't need the herd to pay it's own way - or (God Forbid) actually make money!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder where our resident Wolf-humper is to explain this to us?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
predator friendly ranching methods. Huh?

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boise

Me too. I wonder how many grazing units she has? grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4xbear

That was another good one.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

only thing about her that is true is she's politicly correct ,but DUMBASS wrong, the first sentence set the tone and let us know how dumb she really is

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only comment I can make about the "mother cows" is the letter was written for the average subburanite, they have never heard of the term "pair". But these are the type of people who can believe her propaganda. The wolf is to return to its historical range, how is it going to avoid the neighborhoods, subdivisions, golf courses,etc.and have the same population as in the past?

I googled her name and found her website. Its full of good information on how to live alongside predators.... grin

http://www.ranchersforwildlife.com/about-us.php

There's an ask questions section, where she'll work with you.

My question would be how would a wolf be used as a valuable resource in raising live stock?

Last edited by keystoneben; 11/15/13.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wonder what she really does for a living. Possibly an officer in PETA or other animal rights org.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because Farley Mowat said they mostly eat mice. Mice are bad. Or are they? Maybe they're just as good as wolves!

So wait a second - shouldn't she also be promoting a rodent-friendly ranching methodology?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I suspect that would mean that I go out each week and shoot one or two cows in the head.

Then the wolves and coyotes would not have to expend so much energy to chase down their next meal.

The next step will be to teach the predators to vote the "Welfare Ticket" like the rest of the free loaders in this nation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 620 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,817
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.