Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am looking to place and older Leupold 4x scope on a pre 64 30 '06 featherweight of late 50s vintage. What mounts would look period correct and be best in terms of function/durability? Should someone have rings and bases they want to sell that would be suitable feel free to PM me. I would like to mount the scope as low as practical. Thanks.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I'm partial to Conetrol's for pre-64's. Just seems to look right to me...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tcp: I think that a set of "older" Redfield bases and rings would be period correct for your Rifle, and they look very nice.
I have several pre-64 Model 70's that use the older Redfield rings and bases and they have worked fine for my Varmint, Big Game and range shooting.
I have a long neck though and have always used the medium and high Redfield rings for my shooting.
I am pretty sure though that you could get away with using a set of low Redfield rings for that older Leupold 4 power scope should you come across a set of them.
I have LOTS of Redfield bases (many are still new in their boxes!) for older Model 70's but only a couple of sets of used medium rings.
I "gathered" them up many years ago when I looked into the future and saw myself buying and shooting old Model 70's into the future as far as I was going!
So much for my predictions.
I no longer buy pre-64 Model 70's for shooting and Hunting purposes - their values keep me from taking them afield.
Best of luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would use S&K's though Conetrol's or Bueller's are likely more period correct. Here are Conetol's on a pre-war M70 of mone.

[Linked Image]

The S&K's on an FN Mauser. Same scope on both rifles.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Leupold DD's look pretty good too and are strong as hell. However, they are not period correct.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like Weaver low rings on Weaver bases. About as low as a scope can be mounted, and period correct.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I like Weaver low rings on Weaver bases. About as low as a scope can be mounted, and period correct.

Now that you mention it, yes those look good and work great!!! Hey buddy, you should see that stock I bought from you grin cool.....Back to period correct and weavers. Something like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I can't think of a better setup for "function and durability".

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA , You folks are right on the Weaver, they just look right and are strong as a Brahman bull ! I use a set like your FW on my mod 52 sporter as well as several mod 70's. Does that FW rig shoot as good as it looks? I have shot a couple but never owned a feather weight nor a 270win. I think that is my next quest if the wife does not run me off.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. winchesterpoor that is funny. My wife doesn't even know about my latest purchase (pre 64 model 70 338 alaskan) eek..Anyway, I haven't shot my 270 fwt too much, but after I purchased it I took it out and shot some mild loads I had worked up for my Ruger m77 tanger. Here's how she did with the exact setup pictured above (old steel tube weaver K4). I was told it shot great when I bought it. It is not bedded, but had a shim under the block behind the recoil lug where the action screw goes thru to give it just a little freefloat:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm happy as hell with this 270 fwt and my 30-06 fwt also shoots great:

[Linked Image]

That's a 5 shot group. However, I'm running talley lightweights and a bigger scope on my 30-06 fwt:
[Linked Image]
It's also "properly" bedded.

Also, just to give you an ideal of how these look with the Leupold DD's:
[Linked Image] (270 fwt pictured above^^^^^)

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA thats beautiful,milky titty nice. It it a bluebird day here in SW GA, I have a army pot of chili on the stove and old Carlos (mod 70 target in a sporter stock) is going to the stand with me this afternoon.Im sure as I keep trading pre 64's I will get one that won't shoot right but so far ,knock on wood each and every one has been great, The 264 is the first std and its an inch gun with super x 140 gr . first blood was a neck shot freezer buck. very best

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 11/16/13.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
BSA thats beautiful,milky titty nice. It it a bluebird day here in SW GA, I have a army pot of chili on the stove and old Carlos (mod 70 target in a sporter stock) is going to the stand with me this afternoon.

Good luck buddy!!!

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
First blood , 59' 264 win mag.
[Linked Image]
140 gr Super X, very best

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tcp
I am looking to place and older Leupold 4x scope on a pre 64 30 '06 featherweight of late 50s vintage. What mounts would look period correct and be best in terms of function/durability? Should someone have rings and bases they want to sell that would be suitable feel free to PM me. I would like to mount the scope as low as practical. Thanks.

Hey tcp. I'll give you the weaver mounts and rings if you are interested. I think I still have them laying around here somewhere. I went to the Leupold DD's on that 270 fwt. I hope you are liking that pre 64 model 70 I turned you on to. Let me know about the rings and bases. They are yours if you want them...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're going to put a period Leupold scope on your pre-'64 Winchester 70, you might consider a set of Leupold Detacho-Mounts.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM sent

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]
Ole school sweetie pies. Top gun is 59' Westener .264 win mag, next down is 56' 06 target, second from bottom is 56' ,.243win Varminter, bottom is 59' .220 swift Varminter . Going meat hunting with ' Carlos this afternoon late. very best

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 11/16/13.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
What's the barrel contour on the bottom Winchester in that picture? Looks like a nice, heavier sporter barrel setup. I've got a spare pre-64 action gathering dust....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think Winchester called em ' med heavy ' the 06 target is 24" and the bottom two Varminters are 26", I will check Mr Rules' book to be sure. Funny thing is I can shoot the heavy barrel guns better free handed than I can the std .264. I can get on target and drop the hammer before the 7 sec 'shake' sets in. very best

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks, I've been thinking of putting together something similar in 30-06. The medium-heavy barrels just seem to "hang" better on the target offhand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 50 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.