Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Long and short of it. No bear, hunting sucked, weather sucked, and the mosquitos really sucked. In a major ****y mood and will not comment further about the hunt at this time. Hope you all had a better week than me. Stewing in Montana [Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Big Sky,<BR> Sorry to hear about your luck. I guess that is why we call it hunting and not shooting [Linked Image]<BR> Cheer up, at least you got to go. Some of us other slobs haven't had the fortune of getting out yet, or don't have a spring season. I envy you for the opportunity. Take care and we hope to here more when you're up to it,,BH

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big Sky,<P>Guess you know where to spend your money now. No need to mess around, when Big Stick can produce the bears you saw in "Paradise"!<P>BTW, I wasted about a week chasing Brown bear up here, and had the same results.<P>Well, actually the weather was great the last time, and the scenery was great!<P>But, last Saturday my boat motor died (see Alaska Hunting Forum), and now I've got to get it fixed to go fishing and hunting next Fall!<P>Hope it wasn't an outfitter/guide problem!!!<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Big Sky: Sorry to hear your trip went poorly. Hope something great happens for you real soon. Best, Rex

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. BW, your first sentence pretty much says it all for me.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Now ya know the difference between a turkey shoot and a real bear hunt Big Sky!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] How much luck do you expect to have in one year? [Linked Image] Cant all be as good as the trip with Big Stick can it? Glad you are back safe and sound, and have a new respect for those Manitoba skeeters, I think they are considered the "STATE BIRD" there arent they? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] bcat

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Big Sky, sorry also for your bad luck. I just got back from SASK. Got there on Sunday, wife called Tuesday Morning saying her father passed on so booked flight out yesterday. Unlucky Black came in Tuesday night, Outfitter said 200 lbs (he was being nice and/or wanted me to rebook- I would guess 150). Weather was good, virtually NO bugs (dry spring). I was surprised how 'bad/nasty' these bears smelled. I think I will stick to deer hunting. BTW- took him with a .300 mag, 60 yards, he ran straight towards me after being shot, hit a tree about 10 yards out, and either knocked him cold or he died soon after. Great Thrill. I will long remember this. Thanks again for your last weeks replies to my posts. Better Luck next time.

Red Baron
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Should have come to Alberta!

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
bcat, some of the reason's I'm in a less than stellar mood about my recent hunt didn't have much to do with hunting or luck. Let's just say despite some of the differences you and I have had over the years I doubt the problems I encountered would of ever occured in your camp.

Is it Friday yet?
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
RedBaron, sorry to hear about your father in law. Sounds like you had a fairly decent hunt anyway albeit very short. Funny thing about bear smell is that it's never bothered me, but it sure seems to bug some guys. Personally I hate skinning coyotes or gutting antelope. NorthernHunter I'd of rather been just about anywhere, but unless Alberta becomes a state I think I've spent my last dime in Canada. Between the stupid charge for bringing firearms across the border and my super bad luck in Manitoba on 2 different hunts, I'm giving up on bears in Canada for a while, and Manitoba forever!

Is it Friday yet?
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Big Sky-Thanks for the email and sorry to hear you had problems. I was just razzing ya with the "REAL BEAR HUNT" thing, hope you didnt take it wrong. I have a saying when it comes to bear hunting. " Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]" Thats bear hunting. I would give about anything to go bear hunting where there were enuff bears to do a spot and stalk type hunt. We had three baits out this year and have a total of five bears on the three baits that I know of. We havent got a bear yet. Big D shot at one a week ago yesterday, a huge Black colored one, and unfortunately missed, educating one more bear from coming in during daylight hours. I have never bear hunted anywhere but here, but these bears once you shoot at them will never return to a bait in the daylight. Or I havent seen it happen yet anyway. So we just feed the bears for a couple months out of the year, and every year or two we get lucky and catch one that hasnt been shot at. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] I do it just for the fun of it and to sit and listen to the crikets, the birds, the squirrels and ocasionally get to see a bear. Debbie wants a Cinnamon bear and our season is still open, so we will continue going every night to set on one or the other of the baits till dark, but we are not real hopeful for this years luck in finding ther big cinnamon. [Linked Image] We spooked a big cinnamon off one of our baits one evening, on our way in for the evening, and we may have educated that bear too. I just didnt think there would be a bear setting on it at 5:30 in the evening and we walked right into him. SO thats the way it goes. SOMETIMES YOU GET THE BEAR, SOMETIMES THE BEAR GETS YOU!!! [Linked Image] [img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] bcat

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (17Hunter, 1OntarioJim, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 28 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,983
Posts18,520,002
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.