Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The people I have spoken with off-line about this thread,and who have experience with the 7mm Weatherby,say the velocity claims for the 175 load made here are malarkey.

No, they are full of malarkey.... Have these mystery people shot the Hornaday 175 data? Probably not.

The SAAMI table indicates that as well....even if a 3/8" freebore allows a bit more speed, it isn't enough to jump velocties up to the levels of an STW or RUM.

And you keep telling us that your Mashburn does. "With safe pressures" ??

Interesting that I use Hornaday load data and get the exact speeds. Wonder why??
Anyone here want to venture?

So let me get this straight...

You don't rely on a manual for pressure data and you don't rely on a chronograph to extrapolate pressure from velocity, even though pressure = velocity, and the velocities in the manuals come from pressure tested data.

You have your own pressure testing gear?

If not, what you're saying is you guess.

Which, of course, is why most wildcat rounds "out-perform" conventional rounds so dramatically...

Well said Brad, Funny, "these guessers" know everything and yet have never pressure tested their own Mashburn data or test shot any 175's out of a 7mm Wby.

They should shut their mouths till they do.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I hate to say it, but anyone who handloads without proper pressure testing equipment is guessing.

Baloney.

If you have access to pressure tested data you can extrapolate pressure via velocity.

This isn't rocket science... or maybe it is grin

Brad, I've been handloading for a long time. Using a chronograph and any other "conventional" pressure indicators I have yet to KNOW the pressure of any cartridge I've loaded for. There are far too many variables. Extrapolating data for the MSM is the same darn thing.

You don't rely on a manual for pressure data and you don't rely on a chronograph to extrapolate pressure from velocity, even though pressure = velocity, and the velocities in the manuals come from pressure tested data.

Which, of course, is why most wildcat rounds "out-perform" conventional rounds so dramatically...

You are making my point Brad. I told you I have never, ever, ever, no never KNOWN what pressures my handloads are running at. I simply can't. It's a flippin guess. I have at least a dozen reloading manuals that I reference. But I can almost guarantee you that my pressures at their speeds are not the same as their pressures. Pressures are a best guess based on the information I'm dealing with. That includes the Mashburn.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I see this thread has wandered even further into the theoretical since last evening.

Yes, you can extrapolate pretty closely on pressures if you know what you're doing, and a chronograph is the #1 way to do it. I've done it a bunch of times, and been able to test my loads with either strain-gauge equipment, or have a piezo-electronic laboratory test them.

I see Bob still insisting the 7mm Weatherby Magnum gets it's results with too-high pressures, despite all the pressure-tested data to the contrary. I just happened to do an article on the 7mm Weatherby recently, and have the Nosler and Norma maximum-velocity 160-grain handloads for it and some other 7mm magnums at hand:

7mm Wby. Magnum Norma 26 inches 3199
7mm Wby. Magnum Nosler 24 inches 3197

7mm Rem. Magnum Norma 26 inches 3084
7mm Rem. Magnum Nosler 24 inches 3077

7mm STW Norma 26 inches 3176
7mm STW Nosler 26 inches 3229

7mm RUM Norma 26 inches 3186
7mm RUM Nosler 26 inches 3261

Somebody will no doubt point out that Norma is a European company, and the SAAMI equivalent over there is the Commission Internationale Permanente (C.I.P.), which uses a slightly different piezo-electronic set-up to measure pressures. But Norma is also a member of SAAMI, so adheres to their guidelines.

Also, Western Powders runs one of the larger pressure labs in the country, which does a lot of testing for other companies as well. They've done some experimenting with C.I.P. piezo barrels to see what the actual difference was, rather than speculate about it, and found there was around 1000 psi difference.

The reason most companies don't publish pressure data (though Western also does, for Accurate and Ramshot powders) is that reloaders are very much likely to extrapolate what they can do, and possibly get into trouble. For one thing, the pressures listed by Hodgdon and Western are Maximum Average Pressures (MAP). There are a couple of other pressure standards that cartridges have to meet, one being how much pressure varies from average on the HIGH side, since individual rounds can vary considerably. This also affects the MAP either SAAMI or C.I.P. select for a certain round.

Also, you can be assured that any load found in any current source of SAAMI-member data does not exceed the MAP of that cartridge, so that limit in pressure is implicit in any data.

So where should I be velocity wise with 175's in a long throated 7MM Mashburn Suoer Short?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer,

The info you posted is supports my discovery. I purchased a 26" barrel 7 Rem Mag. After working up loads and hunting with it for awhile I rechambered it to the STW and hunted with it for awhile. Then I had it opened up to the RUM. The STW was a little faster than the 7 Rem and the RUM was only 25 feet faster than the RUM. It is interesting the STW was by far the most accurate in that barrel.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hate to say it, but anyone who handloads without proper pressure testing equipment is guessing.

Baloney.

If you have access to pressure tested data you can extrapolate pressure via velocity.

This isn't rocket science... or maybe it is grin

Brad, I've been handloading for a long time. Using a chronograph and any other "conventional" pressure indicators I have yet to KNOW the pressure of any cartridge I've loaded for. There are far too many variables. Extrapolating data for the MSM is the same darn thing.

Brad,

I agree with your comments, but let's remember that TOTAL pressure = velocity, not peak pressure. And that is what complicates life with different burn rates and powder behaviour- peak pressure and total pressure are not always necessarily perfectly correlated. But generally speaking, peak pressure rises with velocity in a linear manner that can be extrapolated from known pressure-tested data, assuming all variables are kept as constant as possible (bullet, powder, primer, brass, distance from bullet to lands, chamber and bore dimensions, etc).

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You must have missed the part of my recent post where I've done a lot of testing of "guessing" pressure with a chronograph by comparing the results to SAAMI loading data. Yes, you can come very close to estimating pressures with chronograph results. I've done it dozens of times.

In fact when the .300 WSM was so new there wasn't any SAAMI reloading data, a magazine assigned me to work up some loads, in order to beat the competition with the first .300 loading data around.

I compared the powder capacity of the .300 WSM with the .300 Winchester Magnum, using water and a bullet seated to the same depth in fired cases. Using a simple internall ballistics formula, I figured the .300 WSM should get 98% of the velocity of the .300 Winchester Magnum, so worked up some loads with popular .300 Winchester Magnum powders using that guideline.

My loads were published in HANDLOADER magazine, and when pressure-tested data came out over the neat year, only two of my 10 or so loads varied an entire grain from the pressure-tested data--and one of those was a grain under. The others we either spot-on or within a half-grain. And that's just ONE example among many of using a chronograph to estimate pressures.

As another experiment, I once loaded for the .270 using all the the traditional pressure signs, including measuring case-head diameter, to what were apparently "safe" levels. I then took of the same ammo to a piezo lab, where it tested almost 68, 000 psi.

Now, I did ignore velocity as an indicator in that test--and it turned out that the velocity I was getting was faster than any published data, and the powder charge also higher than any listed for that bullet weight.

Yes, there are ways of guessing pressures that are more accurate than bolt-lift and primer pocket tightness.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan, I get all that and agree.

Still, saying that a /thoughtful/careful/eyes-wide-open handloader who will not push an agenda, can't get a sense of safe pressure via pressure tested data and an average velocity across his chronograph (adding or subtracting velocity for barrel length differences), while keeping an eye on brass life and "traditional pressure signs" is, well, dumb beyond belief.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You must have missed the part of my recent post where I've done a lot of testing of "guessing" pressure with a chronograph by comparing the results to SAAMI loading data. Yes, you can come very close to estimating pressures with chronograph results. I've done it dozens of times.

In fact when the .300 WSM was so new there wasn't any SAAMI reloading data, a magazine assigned me to work up some loads, in order to beat the competition with the first .300 loading data around.

I compared the powder capacity of the .300 WSM with the .300 Winchester Magnum, using water and a bullet seated to the same depth in fired cases. Using a simple internall ballistics formula, I figured the .300 WSM should get 98% of the velocity of the .300 Winchester Magnum, so worked up some loads with popular .300 Winchester Magnum powders using that guideline.

My loads were published in HANDLOADER magazine, and when pressure-tested data came out over the neat year, only two of my 10 or so loads varied an entire grain from the pressure-tested data--and one of those was a grain under. The others we either spot-on or within a half-grain. And that's just ONE example among many of using a chronograph to estimate pressures.

As another experiment, I once loaded for the .270 using all the the traditional pressure signs, including measuring case-head diameter, to what were apparently "safe" levels. I then took of the same ammo to a piezo lab, where it tested almost 68, 000 psi.

Now, I did ignore velocity as an indicator in that test--and it turned out that the velocity I was getting was faster than any published data, and the powder charge also higher than any listed for that bullet weight.

Yes, there are ways of guessing pressures that are more accurate than bolt-lift and primer pocket tightness.

This is great. So what is your best velocity "guess" in a 24" barrel for the 175 partition say in a long throated 7mm Mashburn Super Short magnum?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Still, saying that a /thoughtful/careful/eyes-wide-open handloader who will not push an agenda, can't get a sense of safe pressure via pressure tested data and an average velocity across his chronograph (adding or subtracting velocity for barrel length differences), while keeping an eye on brass life and "traditional pressure signs" is, well, dumb beyond belief.

Umm Brad. That is what I do. EVERY single time and I apply that knowledge and technique to the Mashburn. But you know no more what actual pressure you are running in the 30-06 than I do in the MSM (I know I don't). We assume safe pressure based on those indicators above.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I posted this thread in April 2010 asking about the comparison of both the Mash and the Wby.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3983494/1

I bought a 7mm Wby to find out FOR MYSELF what could be done with published data. I wanted to test it out and know for myself. I figured if the data didn't match up I could punch my rifle out to Mashburn.

So far, with published data, I am getting the speeds and to prove for myself and others here I'll be buying some Hornaday 175 grain bullets to test out. And, measure their bearing surface.

I'll be glad to ship those bullets/componets and rifle to BobNH and let him test it out. My cost. Otherwise Bob, shut your belligerent, arrogant, angry, mouth up.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Umm Brad. That is what I do. EVERY single time and I apply that knowledge and technique to the Mashburn. But you know no more what actual pressure you are running in the 30-06 than I do in the MSM (I know I don't). We assume safe pressure based on those indicators above.

I never, ever said "know" pressure... I said "extrapolate" pressure.

You're fixated on something I NEVER said...

Last edited by Brad; 11/16/13.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by SU35
I posted this thread in April 2010 asking about the comparison of both the Mash and the Wby.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3983494/1

I bought a 7mm Wby to find out FOR MYSELF what could be done with published data. I wanted to test it out and know for myself. I figured if the data didn't match up I could punch my rifle out to Mashburn.

So far, with published data, I am getting the speeds and to prove for myself and others here I'll be buying some Hornaday 175 grain bullets to test out. And, measure their bearing surface.

I'll be glad to ship those bullets/componets and rifle to BobNH and let him test it out. My cost. Otherwise Bob, shut your belligerent, arrogant, angry, mouth up!

Put up or shut up!

So you bought a Wby to see for yourself. Don't own a Mashburn and never have and are mad because guys that have owned and loaded for both don't agree with you? Wow. That's interesting.

Not to pick on you exclusively, but no one else on here who is bad mouthing the Mashburn has loaded for one either. tired

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

You're having a hard time with reading comprehension I believe... I never, ever said "know" pressure... I said "extrapolate" pressure.

You're fixated on something I NEVER said...

I said you can't KNOW pressure in any cartridge as a conventional handloader and you said. And I quote. "Baloney". I'm sorry if I misinterpreted that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gotchya, fair enough.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
So you bought a Wby to see for yourself. Don't own a Mashburn and never have and are mad because guys that have owned and loaded for both don't agree with you? Wow. That's interesting.

No, I don't own a Mashburn and now after shooting the Weatherby I have no need to. That's my point, if the Wby didn't get advertised speeds I was going to go Mashburn.

So far, Those who own both have not shown up. You say loaded for your "brother". And yet you bring no load data?

Not out to offend you, but I think you're a boolshuuter.

Bring your load data to the table from all those 175's you've loaded for the Wby. Let's see it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
So if I'm tracking- a 7mm RM will be within 100 to 150 FPS of a 7mm RUM? And a 7mm Weatherby and STW virtually IS a 7mm RUM?

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm here for answers folks...that's why I bought the rifle.

Where are all those "friends" and "brothers" that you speak of that are experienced loaders for the 7mm Weatherby?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John pretty well covered the "how" a page or two back...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Oh I get it. And I'm certainly not a hand loading guru, however when a cartridge is matching velocities of another that has nearly 20 grains more powder, either pressures aren't equal or you're having to play "56 trick moves" to get it. Which is exactly what it seems like Bob has been saying in this thread. I personally don't care either way- I don't own a 7mm RM anymore, have never owned a 7mm Weatherby, STW or RUM, and the only 7mm's I shoot on the regular are a 7-08 and a WSM, but something seems off with that.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
either pressures aren't equal or you're having to play "56 trick moves" to get it. Which is exactly what it seems like Bob has been saying in this thread.

Why don't you and Bob write or call Hornaday and tell them they are wrong.

I'll write and call them and tell them they are right. But then, I'm the one actually shooting their loads.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (14idaho, 35, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 859 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.