Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Amen. Like basketball- even NBA players miss. All of 'em do it. They don't make 100% of their shots just because they take high-probability shots, have the skills, and practice hard.

Shooting a bullet at something is always an unknown to some degree. That's the risk we take when we decide to go hunting. The important thing is that we do our homework, and then take our misses to heart, learn from them, and try not to repeat the same errors in the future.

Rick,

I think this is the point you're trying to make, in short. If we miss because we've made an error in the moment of the shot, or overlooked a variable, that's human. If we miss because we failed to prepare properly and do our homework ahead of time, ethically, we shouldn't have taken the shot.

GB1

Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by BackCountryMulies
If he would have provided the information that his data for his load he dialed was for 3000' lower.... how many times are you going to refer back to this man? he never said that... You took words from my scenario and are using them against him..

All the same angry or not your responses reminded me of an argument with a pissed off 15 year old.. I certainly hope you have learned from this thread a thing or two about forum ethics and take the time to consider your obvious mood at the time of response; I am sure my respect for your opinion is not the only one you lost after last nights rampage..

All this talk about mega distance shooting at animals makes me ill in the stomach and gives me a case of the vapors. What ever became of woodsman skill and backcountry ability and huntsman capability? Why is it now so "spectacular" to kill animals at super supreme distance, rather than using your wits and your time-proven ability to get in, close?

you should ask the admins to start up a "up close and personal" topic header wink there we can talk about my 21 1/8 black bear I called in to 8 yards before sticking a rage through his chest or maybe we could talk about my last archery muley I shot a 17 yards spot and stalk with a recurve or the several bulls I have called in and walk by under 10 yards I shot a speed goat with my compound in 2005 at 11 yards "spot and stalk" I find the challenge of knowing I can use my wits and time proven ability to take one cold barrel shot and take my quarry just as challenging and as big as of an adrenaline rush as being in that close range you speak of smile...

There is a never ending argument amongst traditional bowhunters vs compound bowhunters, traditional cap and ball muzzleloaders and inlines, and the most common one Long range hunters and non long range hunters... Hunting is hunting is hunting right? You go out into the field to take an animal to provide meat for your family same as the next, why does it matter how that is done? Opinions that is the only matter involved, ok maybe there is a point to draw the line a guy with a 35# 50 cal BMG yea that is excessive and makes me sick too other than that we are all after one common goal..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Shoot a lot of long range practical rifle matches and precision rifle matches. They will make you a better hunter"

NOPE not even close! It will make you a better shot not a better hunter. The ability to find game and advance to a comfortable distance to take a shot whether it be with a LR rifle, bow or pistol is where the hunting skills are manifested.

Being able to hit stuff at that range is the mark of a good shot whatever the distance is deemed to be for that hunter. We see many great shots on the range who are lousy hunters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back Country Mule Deer:

I'm all for getting in close. Yet, I've also had instance whereas I've attempted and even succeeded with some extreme long-range rifle shots. For that matter, even some extreme long-distance range archery shots. But, I'm all about getting close. For one thing, the animal deserves it.

In reference to "hunting is hunting"; we all go afield because we like to kill things. That's the bottom line. If we're honest with ourselves as killers of animals, then we admit that we hunt because we like to kill. Otherwise we'd merely be hikers and photographers.

In a nutshell, it doesn't matter whether or not we justify our pursuit by saying we need to "feed our families" or to "conserve wildlife" or to "commune with nature" or, to "enjoy camaraderie with friends". those are simplistic justifications which fringe upon a lie, within the on-hunting public's view.

The truth is, we hunt because we like to kill. End of story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amen. Like basketball- even NBA players miss. All of 'em do it. They don't make 100% of their shots just because they take high-probability shots, have the skills, and practice hard.

Shooting a bullet at something is always an unknown to some degree. That's the risk we take when we decide to go hunting. The important thing is that we do our homework, and then take our misses to heart, learn from them, and try not to repeat the same errors in the future.

Rick,

I think this is the point you're trying to make, in short. If we miss because we've made an error in the moment of the shot, or overlooked a variable, that's human. If we miss because we failed to prepare properly and do our homework ahead of time, ethically, we shouldn't have taken the shot.

Exactly. Thanks for making it seem too simple. smile

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't assign the same value to a trophy class big game animal and a piece of steel.

If you're shooting at steel with the wrong data and poor positional skills, it matters little if your miss would have meant a wounded big game animal.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
...and yes Tanner, I've missed. Once. smile

Only one missed shot, ever?

Yep. But I've only fired a rifle twice in my life, so I feel good about my percentage. LOL.

Redhill,

You don't think being a good shot makes you a better hunter? Reminds me of the "when hunting becomes shooting" thread! Hunting and shooting are inseparable. If you can't hit what you found by hunting, you're not going to be a very successful hunter

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RC:

This is interesting -- You've only fired a rifle but twice in your lifetime, yet you missed once and you once hit.

So, that's a 50% hit-rate per whatever you were shooting at (paper target or animal) during the only two (2) times you ever fired a rifle.

How old are you and do you exclusively pursue animals when you're with archery tackle?

Maverick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Rick,

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't assign the same value to a trophy class big game animal and a piece of steel.

If you're shooting at steel with the wrong data and poor positional skills, it matters little if your miss would have meant a wounded big game animal.

That's what steel is for! Nobody goes from rookie to expert in one shot. Misses on steel tell you what to do in order to go from "newbie" to "capable of shooting game animals at distance". It just takes a lot of hits and a lot of misses to figure that out *grin*

Back Country Mule Deer:

I'm all for getting in close. Yet, I've also had instance whereas I've attempted and even succeeded with some extreme long-range rifle shots. For that matter, even some extreme long-distance range archery shots. But, I'm all about getting close. For one thing, the animal deserves it.

In reference to "hunting is hunting"; we all go afield because we like to kill things. That's the bottom line. If we're honest with ourselves as killers of animals, then we admit that we hunt because we like to kill. Otherwise we'd merely be hikers and photographers.

In a nutshell, it doesn't matter whether or not we justify our pursuit by saying we need to "feed our families" or to "conserve wildlife" or to "commune with nature" or, to "enjoy camaraderie with friends". those are simplistic justifications which fringe upon a lie, within the on-hunting public's view.

I guess I don't understand the contradicting statement here. "We hunt because we like to kill" and "the animal deserves it". I believe the animal deserves to die quick, Aside from a quick death I can play the wind and come over a ridge and dump him in his bed or I can dope the wind, elevation, barometric pressure, angle and shoot him as he is feeding what difference does it make he's DEAD.. How does the animal deserve a 1 shot kill at 100 yards over a 1 shot kill at 1000 yards.

I partially hunt for the thrill of the kill, I hunt partially for the enjoyment of being in the wilderness with a gun or bow and I hunt partially because I like wild game meat. You say if your not in it for the kill than your a photographer I guess I am sitting on the rail with your assumption because I spend more time in the woods with a camera capturing animals than a gun killing them. Don't get me wrong I LOVE TO HUNT, but hunting seasons are short photography seasons are endless wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Data
Off
Previous
Engagements

You haven't any PE.... you've got no D...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is simply not true. I hunt to justify to my wife that I should be in the woods. Killing is the end result of a successful hunt. If we wanted to kill stuff we would not pass up the shots we do. I waited till the last hour of the last day of my hunting season to kill one the doe I took this year. This is after passing on some sure shots. I thought I was going to be skunked. But when I was only a quarter mile from the truck a shot presented itself. Success is more fun than failure no matter what the game.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Data
Off
Previous
Engagements

PE consists of thousands of rounds of range and field condition shots and the D better damn sure be done prior to even leaving to go hunting smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman

This is simply not true. I hunt to justify to my wife that I should be in the woods. Killing is the end result of a successful hunt. If we wanted to kill stuff we would not pass up the shots we do. I waited till the last hour of the last day of my hunting season to kill one the doe I took this year. This is after passing on some sure shots. I thought I was going to be skunked. But when I was only a quarter mile from the truck a shot presented itself. Success is more fun than failure no matter what the game.

So, why did you kill that doe? What was the "need" to kill that doe? You hunt in order to justify being in the woods? That's an oxymoron. At best, it's a pathetic irony.

Come on man, be a man. It's not shameful to admit that you like to kill. We, as hunters, love to kill. It's our desire and that's why we hunt.

So, be real, not only to your own self, but to others, too. If anything, be real with your wife. She deserves your honesty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Data
Off
Previous
Engagements

Hah, good call smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BackCountryMulies
Data
Off
Previous
Engagements

PE consists of thousands of rounds of range and field condition shots and the D better damn sure be done prior to even leaving to go hunting smile

Dare I say.... InDeed?

I'm amazed at how little some folks shoot, then think they can consistently hit MOA sized targets at extended ranges. Most of whom, couldn't hit a 1" dot at 100, 5 times out of 5.... from a bench. I've put well over 100 rounds through the new 6.5 this week, and I wouldn't bet on a first round hit on an MOA size target at 300. But, I'd feel more than comfortable on a coyote out to 700+ in good conditions.

Not sure it takes thousands, with the same rig/load/glass/etc.... but rather, simply observing bullets flying through the air, either via trigger time or spot tine. Once you've seen more than a few... it's much easier to extrapolate...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RC:

This is interesting -- You've only fired a rifle but twice in your lifetime, yet you missed once and you once hit.

So, that's a 50% hit-rate per whatever you were shooting at (paper target or animal) during the only two (2) times you ever fired a rifle.

How old are you and do you exclusively pursue animals when you're with archery tackle?

Maverick

It was a joke Maverick.

I would bet I wear out more barrels in two years than 99.5% of the posters on the Fire do in a lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RC:

Maverick

It was a joke Maverick.

I would bet I wear out more barrels in two years than 99.5% of the posters on the Fire do in a lifetime.

Thanks for the clarification, RC. It's truly appreciated.

In regards to my nearly six decades of hunting, there's been misses and even some that were wounding which resulted in losses. It goes with the territory, no matter how much we try to prevent it.

Regardless of the attempt by recent developments in technological gadgetry, which disillusions young people into thinking that hunting can be an exact shooting science, misses are going to occur.

Hunting isn't precise, nor is killing animals a precise occupation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, why did you kill that doe? What was the "need" to kill that doe? You hunt in order to justify being in the woods? That's an oxymoron. At best, it's a pathetic irony.

Come on man, be a man. It's not shameful to admit that you like to kill. We, as hunters, love to kill. It's our desire and that's why we hunt.

So, be real, not only to your own self, but to others, too. If anything, be real with your wife. She deserves your honesty.

Killing is part of a very involved process. If you don't have just the slightest bit of remorse when the game is over, find another hobby. You'd think after "6 decades" of experience a fella might get it....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore

Killing is part of a very involved process. If you don't have just the slightest bit of remorse when the game is over, find another hobby. You'd think after "6 decades" of experience a fella might get it....

I get it, thus the reason why I'm comfortable with it and why I don't need to justify it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Rick,

That's what steel is for! Nobody goes from rookie to expert in one shot. Misses on steel tell you what to do in order to go from "newbie" to "capable of shooting game animals at distance". It just takes a lot of hits and a lot of misses to figure that out *grin*

Right. The misses on steel show you the importance of making sure your data is correct. Misses on steel when shooting from positions other than prone show your shooting skill limitations.

Testing and finding out those things in the field on Big Game is the BassAckwards way of going about it!

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 16,271 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,202
Posts18,543,596
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.