Print Thread
Hop To
K
KennyT Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Some 25 years ago, I missed a Moose which was facing me at 100yard with 3 shots from my 338wm. I had use a tree as a rest, and fired each shot directly into his chest, dead center bull. After each shot the bull was still standing. On the third shot he headed back in the bush. I found only hair which had been shaved off it's right side where he had been standing. The rifle was checked for accuracy it was dead on, The rifle had a solid rest there was no flinch or buck fever. In my mind each one of those shots should have killed the moose dead. This summer while reading John Tayor's book on African Rifles and Cartridges, I finally found the answer. By holding the rifle solid against the tree for a good support the recoil caused my shots to shift to the right, the unsupported side. I should of had my hand between the rifle and the tree to give it a cushioned support. Thanks John for answering something that tormented me for 25 yrs. Just thought this was something I should share.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you held the barrel against the tree it could cause an issue.

But if you held the stock against the tree, and the rifle had a free floated barrel, I don't see where it cause enough difference to make you miss at 100 yards.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Holding the side of the forearm against something solid will make the rifle jump off away from the object. I missed a deer at about 150 yds for the same reason. But it only took one shot to figure it out whistle

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the very first things my dad taught me about shooting was to always have my hand between the tree and the stock.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by shootem
Holding the side of the forearm against something solid will make the rifle jump off away from the object. I missed a deer at about 150 yds for the same reason. But it only took one shot to figure it out whistle

That's interesting. I've killed a lot of game exactly as you described. Did your rifle have a free floated barrel, or were you using something like a Winchester 94?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KennyT
... facing me at 100yard with 3 shots from my 338wm.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
... or were you using something like a Winchester 94?

A Win 94 in .338 Win Mag would be cool... wink

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have had it happen as well.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Missed a cow elk at less than 100 yards for the same reason, stock resting on a rock, shot way over.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by shootem

That's interesting. I've killed a lot of game exactly as you described. Did your rifle have a free floated barrel, or were you using something like a Winchester 94?

Weatherby Mark V .270 Weatherby Magnum. Had a couple of steps screwed into the tree my stand was in to use as rifle rests. I had my hand under the forearm but it was touching on the right side. It was very obvious when it bounced out. I found a trench plowed out by the bullet a good foot and a half from where I was holding.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know you figured that out before 25 years passed . . . right? wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
have had it happen as well.

Yup, you can even see it with a .22lr if you watch closely.

That was one of the first things my Dad taught me when he was teaching me to hunt.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
missed the biggest buck i'd ever seen, using a fence post for a rest.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know some folks that can't hit a train engine....shooting offhand....OR SUPPORTED!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I recently bought two remington model sevens -308win & 260rem - and an XP-100 7br .
Having been use to varmint rifles and standard remington 700's w/ 24" barrels these little buggers confused me --shoot two good shots -take a good look -all good -shooting position obviously changed -big time flier on third round.
Like some bench rest shooter said --you can fall off the bench when the shot breaks --you just have to do it the same exact way each time.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard anything like this before. Don't shoot against trees and fence posts I guess. Weird.

LOL
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a 3338 mag the recoil forces are so harsh that free floating alone will not make much difference. The whole damn package is moving when you touch that monster off and the forces have to go somewhere! Lock into something solid on just one side and the recoil will be diverted in the other direction.

Oddly, the low recoil 30-30 might not have the same problem to the same degree.

1B

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have had it happen when resting the forend on a rock.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
One of the very first things my dad taught me about shooting was to always have my hand between the tree and the stock.
I've always taught my son that very same thing.. Last time I had to use that technique I dropped a big doe at about 180 yards with my .264WM..

I never let the rifle alone rest against a tree..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The more recoil, the more pronounced the effect.

It will even make auto rifles malfunction.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,128 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,307
Posts18,526,115
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.