Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We had electric when we built this house.
What a POS!!!
Sensors always going out calling tech support all the time!!!
Life's too short!
We now have an old faithful 50 gallon tank type.

My brother has a gas one and loves it.
Mike

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Went with a Rennai two years ago. I like it a lot.

Did you have to install a water softener for it?
don't need a softener here. I do descale it once a year. Mine is gas, mounted outside.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In our seasonal cabin in AK, which is all electric we install a 20 gallon tank heater. Plenty of water for hot showers and washing dishes. You need to stagger times when it comes to showering. We turn the breakers off when the cabin is vacant not be deal.

In my house----I have a gas hot water heater. I can't see the cost savings in going tank less. My gas bill is @$25 a month.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having used several tankless heaters in different applications I would only look at tankless and NG or propane. I would never want to have a cabin or even a full sized home with a tank heater.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I surely like the Toyotomi oil fired, but the initial cost is probably a bit much for your application.

Toyotomi On-demand Oil fired

Stainless innards, very effective in my experience in our home.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The house we just moved into has a gas fired tankless heater in the garage with a small flash heater under the kitchen sink that has it's own faucet. That little sucker spits out instant boiling water!

While it may not be instant when you're taking a shower, there's far less lag time for hot water than I've ever experienced with a regular old water heater. That, and you never run out of hot water, period! I'm highly impressed so far!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by amr7333
... My greatest concern is how user friendly it will be. I don't want to invest money in something that will require some sort of special plumber to maintain...

That's a good point. It's a tankless job, but somebody has to do it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I come from a long line of plumber's. More trouble than there worth @ the present.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Home is Texas was built with two Rennai's and the one here in Queensland as well. Could not be happier. Another option, of course, is to shut off the tanked water heater when you are not present. That and the well. This is what I do with the place in Idaho.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a standard 220 electric 40 gallon at our lake house. I turn it and the well pump off when I leave, and drop the thermostat to 45 degree (we heat with a fireplace insert when there, fuel oil furnace maintains the 45 when we're not). I wouldn't consider a tankless water heater unless it was natgas or propane fired.

I turn the well pump, hot water heater, outdoor lighting, and bump up the thermostat with a single cell phone call when I'm an hour or so out. Everything is comfy when I arrive.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I've had a Rennai for years. It's LOUD. Make sure you have GOOD service people available as they are complicated.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For your use, small electric, flip the breaker when gone. Exactly what you do with an RV. No different.

Cheaper, and just makes sense to me.

RE tanked and water wells, all can be different, but on water wells we have been getting an easy 15 years out of our water heaters in the country.

300 bucks or so for a replacement and a bit of labor. Seems vs 1500 or so tankless, at least thats about what I keep hearing, ain't worth the cost to me.

There is a different view. I'm a plumbing inspector. I still have no desire at this point for tankless.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by amr7333

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Your advice is about the same as my research.

For a bit more information on the project. We have 200 amp power service. We do NOT have nat gas or propane at the moment. Nat gas is not an option at all. Propane would require setting a tank and plumbing in.

My greatest concern is how user friendly it will be. I don't want to invest money in something that will require some sort of special plumber to maintain. I feel I am fairly mechanically minded but, obviously some tasks in life are over the pay grade of an occasional handiman.

if you don't flush them, and I hear its a backflush of some sort, every year, then they won't last that long according to the plumbers around here.

lets put it this way too. I know 4 master plumbers here. 1 has tankless. I know many of their apprentices. None have tankless.

Every last one of them uses Pex nowdays, so its not like some are old fashioned and stubborn.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Propane -- pick up a 100 pounder as much coiled copper tube as you need to go from tank to heater,

attach regulator to side of house or shed drop a line down to almost ground level come up 4" put in flaired T plug bottom of line , this 4 " becomes a trap for flakes ,dirt ,oil residue.
From side of T run to your Tankless HW, check all fittings to 100lbs air pressure propane will be about 11 lbs can't remember for sure, but you know there will be no leaks ,

enjoy your Hot water.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We are building a new house, we will install a 40 gal electric hot water heater, I set it up with a switch on the wall in the hall next to the kitchen. If you need hot water flip the switch when your done flip the switch off. We did the same thing with a little 22 foot trailer which had a 6 gal tank and it worked well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by norm99
Propane -- pick up a 100 pounder as much coiled copper tube as you need to go from tank to heater,

attach regulator to side of house or shed drop a line down to almost ground level come up 4" put in flaired T plug bottom of line , this 4 " becomes a trap for flakes ,dirt ,oil residue.
From side of T run to your Tankless HW, check all fittings to 100lbs air pressure propane will be about 11 lbs can't remember for sure, but you know there will be no leaks ,

enjoy your Hot water.

norm

The trash trap has been required by code for as long as I've been involved with code.

It doesn't have anything to do with backflushing the system RE water portion of the system.

Thats IF you were replying to me.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My girls would not know when to get out of the shower if I went tankless.

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd B all over tankless, if I could get one to actually work on propane. So far no contractor I have contacted will guarantee they will work as expected

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would go tank-less either natural gas if available or propane.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I switched to tankless and am very happy. I picked up the 7.5 gallon Rinnai from Amazon for $900.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 12savage, 67 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.