Print Thread
Hop To
O
OldRook Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Spent the morning yesterday (opening day of deer season back home no less!) helping a group of folks cookand feed breakfast for a 150 people living in a temporary shelter. I have been blessed in my life beyond belief. Was a humbling experience for me. I am a typical, white, redneck country person and met some kind souls who are going through some tough times in their lives.

Lot of awesome little children there that made your heart melt.

Highly recommend it to anyone Hopefully God will grant me the opportunity to do it again.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are some things that are pretty much guaranteed to bring you back down to earth fast. Cooking and tending the homeless and a visit to a VA hospital are two that come to mind right away.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by OldRook
Spent the morning yesterday (opening day of deer season back home no less!) helping a group of folks cookand feed breakfast for a 150 people living in a temporary shelter. I have been blessed in my life beyond belief. Was a humbling experience for me. I am a typical, white, redneck country person and met some kind souls who are going through some tough times in their lives.

Highly recommend it to anyone Hopefully God will grant me the opportunity to do it again.

Good on you for doing so,..but I wonder why street people in Detroit have to live in a temporary shelter.

Seems like there would be enough abandoned houses there for everybody to have a place to sleep inside.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldRook

In HS, went on 3 church trips to the Mexican ghettos around Monterrey, Tampico and Cuidad Valles.

The common denominator was the children. This country is blessed even with its faults...

Definitely a life changing experience...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
There are some things that are pretty much guaranteed to bring you back down to earth fast.

Aint that the truth. Working with a pipefitter right now that was in Africa for over a year on a mine construction job. He was saying the African workers drank from a black iron pipe buried 6" under the dirt, no cups, no water bottles. The water coming out was hot and sure as schit not clear. They had no PPE, just clothes and sandals. And made on average 3-6$ USD an hour I was told. Went on to tell me if the africans seen a white guy throw his empty water bottle away theyd run over and grab it so they coild fill it up and bring it on the job. He said it was a very depressing time in his life and he's glad its done.

When I think I really hate the job I'm on, I just think of that.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
OldRook Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
The shelter we were at is called COTS. Coalition of Temporary shelter or close.

Sparky Anderson was allegedly involved in founding ( all second hand info sorry)

We just began attending a church here in Michigan and volunteered as they had a need and we pitched in.

The residents are limited to a time frame and the shelter tries to help with job and life skills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
"...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Amen!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you for volunteering. Christ approves.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Scott F
There are some things that are pretty much guaranteed to bring you back down to earth fast. Cooking and tending the homeless and a visit to a VA hospital are two that come to mind right away.

Add visits to see old folks in retirement homes to that list.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have volunteered in soup kitchens. When I was teaching, I made my students participate as well. We did a Winter clothes drive with one class, and we made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with one. One class I taught in CT made sandwiches and collected bottled water for the workers in NYC after Sept 11. There's a place here called Mcauley House where my Aunts used to make soup with the women's guild. They all agreed on what kind of soup, and they all make it and fill a big cooler and bring it down. I started in the soup kitchen downstairs in my church during my CCD years. We all did. I've never seen a shelter though... or a vets hospital. I helped with mass at the vets hospital a couple times. Lots of guys in wheelchairs with oxygen bottles. Tough stuff.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by antlers

My sentement's exactly...Amen and Amen.

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
� Leo Tolstoy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,496
Posts18,490,454
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.