Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What scope does this lovely, young lady use on her rifle? It seems that my favourite Leupy 1.75x6 MHD, used on most of my .338s, would be ideal and also keep the rifle light, eh?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the rugged little 8 oz Leupold 2 1/2 compact scopes.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dont you guys KNOW scopes will get you killed. Lmao

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Fortunately most Alaskan guides don't read these threads because they are out in the field hunting with scopes on their rifles - and that bear who's paw I am holding was in such thick pucker brush that without a scope it is doubtful we would have even been able to see him well enough to get a shot.

So I guess it is true, as least as far as the bear was concerned, a scope can get you killed grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have 3 of the Leupold 2 1/2 compacts on big bore rifles. One on my 416 that I killed a cape buff with last year was on a 458 for 5 yrs before that. They are hell for stout!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have also never found an animal that required a 375 or larger than I needed to magnify more than 2 1/2 times !!! I have even made kills on game as small as Dall sheep at distances well over 400 yards with the 2 1/2 Leupolds on my 30-06 and on moose over 400 yards with my 458.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by raybass
375 H&H for me because I have one. But the 338 would do the job more than likely just about as well. The 416 would too but maybe the 375's would be the best all around cartridges .

I agree with raybass on the 375 H&H, but I'm getting a new to me pre 64 alaskan chambered in 338, so that may be my new favorite wink..I've shot elk with the 338 win mag and it sure does work well. I don't think I'd feel "undergunned" in AK with a good 338 winny in hand. Of course, I'd probably be running some good pills like the 250gr. partition as well...My second choice isn't even on the list, but it would be the 9.3x62mm for obvious reasons....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have also never found an animal that required a 375 or larger than I needed to magnify more than 2 1/2 times !!! I have even made kills on game as small as Dall sheep at distances well over 400 yards with the 2 1/2 Leupolds on my 30-06 and on moose over 400 yards with my 458.

You are blessed with good eyesight too my friend. I woldn't be able to see a damn sheep in a 2.5x scope at 400 yards...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have two of the Leupy 2.5s, like them, but, find my elderly Leupy 3x to be brighter as are my 4xs.

I have one 2.5x on my P-64-.375 H&H 20" carbine, built by a buddy for prospecting in BC/YT/NWT and then sold to me as I was going to go to work for him, until my wife's became ill in early 2010.

The spare needs a change in reticle to the HD as the original has, but, they certainly are small, light and this rig is VERY accurate and also shootable with 300 NPs at 2400.

I wish that Leupy made a 2.5x on the 4xx28mm frame.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by kutenay
Boy, I have read SOME bullsh!t in my life, but, this "bcd" weirdo takes the freakin' CAKE!!!

NO, moron, the old .338-275 Speer is NOT ...the best..., in fact, it is a mediocre bullet and not even close to the 250 NP, 250SAF or several other, lighter, premium bullets available for the .338 bore.

Only, a congenital imbecile would post that this is what made the 6.5 Swede great as there is NO relationship, other than they are both rifle cartridges. GAWD, you are SO stupid and azzholian in all aspects of your miserable presence here, GO AWAY, NOW!!!

BTW, I was carrying a big bore rifle every day, all day, as a part of my employment in BC, long before YOU were even a gleam in your father's eye, one which turned to a look of horror at your parturition, no doubt. You should be permanently made a "guest at Her Majesty's pleasure" at your local looneybin!
Kutenay,have you tried the 275 gr SAF in your .338's?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No, I am very much a "one load" man, preferring to use the same bullet weight in a given cartridge and using different bullets to obtain different performances and to avoid wasting scarce $$$$ on using NPs for target practice.

I KNOW some here who have used it, mostly guides working in Grizzly-dense areas and I think it would be the ideal bullet for this purpose. I have driven the 250 NP right through the chest of large bull Elk and cannot imagine a more versatile bullet than this particular Nosler.

My loads, run this at 2700+ to a hair over 2800 fps-mv and I am happy with that; my Martini-modded Dakota-76, will put the 250-NP and the 250 HIL into the same sub-moa groups all day long....but, these are loaded "max" and I notice that I cannot handle the recoil as I used to.....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Tanks Kutenay for the answer. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got 3 of the above calibers, I've had a couple of the 375 Rugers but having 2 375 H&H was hard to justify. I'm thinking of going back to the Ruger for one in 375 diameter. I lived in Alaska for 33 years and just recently moved to Idaho, for the most part I either hunted with a 375 Sako or a 338 Win Mag. THe 338 was stainless so the last several years I'd have to say it probably got out more. I'm going to take the Sako and have it Cerakoted as it could use some attention after the years and weather. I've got the 416 Ruger just because, not sure I need it but still thinking on it. I pick rifles and calibers for various reasons I just like 30-06, 338 and 375's. Historically and performance wise.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be very happy with either the 375 Ruger or the good old 375H&H Whichever I could find the better deal on. I'm guessing the less expensive option would be the Ruger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I'd be very happy with either the 375 Ruger or the good old 375H&H Whichever I could find the better deal on. I'm guessing the less expensive option would be the Ruger.

My beloved Ruger m77 mk II 338WM may come up for sale if I can get the new pre 64 Alaskan to shoot well enough wink..Just a potential "heads up"...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol I saw where you picked up another pre 64 and was wondering when that might happen!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm not an Alaska guy but for central and northern BC I would go with the 338wm. Plenty of penetration, lots of range, it's all good.

I shot 275grn SAF's for awhile but settled on the 250grn SAF's as my practice bullets are all 250grn. I can't see 25 grains of bullet weight making that much difference at impact, nothing wrong with the bullet -worked darn well.

I'm with Kute's on one load. I'm not skilled enough to be good at all the ranges I shoot at with multiple bullet weights and loads so I just shoot 250's.

Mr Shoemaker, I am intrigued by that scope on your daughters rifle. I am assuming it is holding up well? Decent at lower light levels?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Mr Shoemaker, I am intrigued by that scope on your daughters rifle. I am assuming it is holding up well? Decent at lower light levels?

It is the same scope I have had on my 458 for almost 30 years and like I have on multiple of my camp rifles as well. they only weigh around 8 oz and are tougher than a woodpecker's lips.
We have fairly long twilight up here during the fall and spring season and I have never had an issue with them not being bright enough.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcd
Ap> please tell Toad and Elk that a scope can kill you> they just dont get it!

OK, this is a little strange! Can you elaborate in the context of this thread?

Kevin Haile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Only if they lock (or luck) up. Everyone knows that.

Kevin Haile
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (12344mag, 160user, 338rcm, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.