Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by hanco
I use a block and tackle if I’m out in the woods. I built this for both leases I hunt on.

[Linked Image]

This one might be too powerful. You pulled its head right off!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by headwatermike
I use a block and tackle if I’m out in the woods. I built this for both leases I hunt on.

[Linked Image]

On commercial fishing boats when hunting Kodiak blacktails we used to hang them from one of the winches on deck by way of a block up in the rigging (usually the "tugger") which was plenty to lift the biggest elk or multiple deer. But we also used it to skin them with the hammer head trick and sometimes pulled them a little too hard...

For moose hunting we have gin poles rigged on the swamp buggies and what goes down will go up! No problem lifting large bull moose completely off the ground. A second winch on a rack right behind the cab pulls them into the bed easily.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I shot his head off with a 300 Win Mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used this one again last weekend. About $25 in parts, but I already had some of the components. One 1" square tube cut in half and drilled; nuts/bolts/washers; two each 1" pipe, tee, elbow; six nipples and one 2x4.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
[quote=Coyote_Hunter]Not a hoist but a hanging bar for skinning.

Two 1" square tubes bolted to the truck bed through existing holes, one 2x4 and some pipe. Sets up in about 30 seconds or less.

[[photos not available, deleted links]]

Pretty creative, and portable for places with no trees to use for hanging poles. How sturdy is it?

I've never tested it for maximum weight but I think it would hold a gutted elk.

I think you'd have to be careful with a heavy load that was anything other than hanging straight down..

If you wanted to lift a large whitetail for instance and fitted it with a pulley, and then rigged up a winch to the back of the pick-up bed, I suspect the angle of the pull might warrant a bit of extra bracing..

Obviously, thats a deviation from its current intended purpose, for which it looks fine..

Have lifted a 4x4 buck mule deer once it was gutted and on the tailgate. Car wash bent the square tubes attached to the bed of the truck and wife never lied them sticking up anyway. Yesterday I replaced them with tubes that are below the top of the bed walls so that they can't be seen unless the gate is open. Two tubes on each side, welded together. One gets bolted to the side wall using existing holes, the other holds the pipe. No more car wash damage and a happy wife. With the mods the vertical pipe are now in two sections so they fit in the short bed without extending out over the gate. Win/win/win. smile The 2x4 still sticks out over the tailgate but only by about 4 inches.

We skinned a total of 6 antelope on the rack last weekend, before the mods. Will try to remember to get photos of the post-mod version.

Takes longer to describe it than it does to set it up (or take it down). smile
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by 340mag
[Linked Image]
I purchased a similar block and tackle from this company but with 4 wheels in each pulley,sheeve unlike this picture that shows two two wheel pulley sheeves, ,back in the 1970s from a hardware store in Colorado,Ive been looking to buy a second one ever since,its packaging stated it was rated at 1000lbs
does anyone know who currently sells these?
I don,t see the company listed on line
yes I pack it in and use it to lift ELK but the one I own is rated at 1000 lbs and while small its lifted dozens of large elk over the years

WOW

I have that same hoist....bag and all

I use to have one, but left it in Alaska with a friend. Never was able to find another, but I did find similar pulleys and rope at Tractor Supply and built another that rides in my hunting day pack. Been used many times.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought this 2 years ago. I only use it if the deer are big. It take a few minutes to set up, so if the deer are small, I don't mess with it. Please note my high tech drag rope with the ergonomic handle. grin

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 1/2 ton chainfall built with extra long lifting and operating chains. I can hoist a Elk at least 20 ft up a tree. Any animal that wants a meal better be able to jump. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by headwatermike

[Linked Image]

I was thinking dang them boys got a heck of coyote problem.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is one I built for deer lease

[Linked Image]

Caption this pic.....

Looks like your bullet way over penetrated!

I think you were using a bit too much gun!

Told you not to use those dang ballistic tips!!

Cancer Sucks
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.