Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Rebuttal? Not quite.

More of a whimpering whine that Giberson and Collins did not spell out every molecule involved in a molecular recipe for an eye.

Carefully reading and comprehending links before you post them might help you avoid the appearance of a 'spray and pray' debating style.

Personal attacks don't impress. The "evolutionary scenarios" for the eye are pure speculation---"Just So" stories that are highly improbable (if not impossible) with not a shred of empirical proof. None of the scenarious imagined has a shred of laboratory evidence to support it. It is just so much wishful thinking.

Don't you ever tire of short stroking into the argumentum ad ignorantiam illogical fallacy sand trap? It is as if you have a neurochemotaxic attraction response to them.

Do you ever tire of misunderstanding logical fallacies---and making personal insults? It appears not.

Last edited by RobJordan; 11/18/13.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Open this peer-reviewed abstract, read it and then get back to us with your simple mechanistic explanations for biological complexity.

http://bio-complexity.org/ojs/index.php/main/article/view/BIO-C.2013.3

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The staggering complexity of the cell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl0NXSbeeqg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Open this peer-reviewed abstract, read it and then get back to us with your simple mechanistic explanations for biological complexity.

No one is arguing that complexity does not exist. Just that ID is the least compelling explanation for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought this was going to be a thread on creatures of whatever species who appear evolution proof. Sigh.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

No one is arguing that complexity does not exist. Just that ID is the least compelling explanation for it.

The actual state of things is the exact opposite: the mechanistic, Darwinian "explanation" is no explanation at all; just a series of ad hoc "Just So Stories" which seeks, by a priori philosophic commitment to exclude any rival explanation. It is no longer a search for truth, but dogmatic adherence to philosophy masquerading as science.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

The actual state of things is the exact opposite: the mechanistic, Darwinian "explanation" is no explanation at all; just a series of ad hoc "Just So Stories" which seeks, by a priori philosophic commitment to exclude any rival explanation. It is no longer a search for truth, but dogmatic adherence to philosophy masquerading as science.

If the creations possess ideas with greater explanatory power, why don't they publish them in peer reviewed journals?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Interestingly, the concept of ID itself appears to be undergoing Darwinian selection. ID's fitness as an rival explanation to Darwin seems to lack robustness and long term viability in the world of Science which it wants to live. For example the ID on-line organ, Bio-Complexity that you cited, appears to be to be on life-support if not dead. Curious, does it have any fertile progeny?

Ironic, neh?

Oh yeah, almost forgot to add as another example of ID's lack of fitness, Kitzmiller and the electorate of Dover, PA that booted ID out of it's school system.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Interestingly, the concept of ID itself appears to be undergoing Darwinian selection. ID's fitness as an rival explanation to Darwin seems to lack robustness and long term viability in the world of Science which it wants to live. For example the ID on-line organ, Bio-Complexity that you cited, appears to be to be on life-support if not dead. Curious, does it have any fertile progeny?

Ironic, neh?

Bingo!! Scientific truth is determined by its popularity---not on the soundness of its premises, conclusions or evidence. Thank you for proving my point.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Ironic, neh? [/quote]

Bingo!! Scientific truth is determined by its popularity---not on the soundness of its premises, conclusions or evidence. Thank you for proving my point. [/quote]

Popularity, perhaps. If ID had any real testable validity, it would be more popular.

Point unmade.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Right, like the Heliocentric view of the solar system prior to Copernicus! crazy Nice try 12. grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Right, like the Heliocentric view of the solar system prior to Copernicus! crazy Nice try 12. grin

Helio did not withstand the test of time. ID seems to be going by the wayside too. Think of them as failed 'transitional forms'

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Of course, you are being deliberately obtuse. Heliocentrism replaced Geocentrism--and it took many hundred years for that to occur. That is the comparison I was making, as you well know. Which theory is "winning" at any given moment tells us nothing about whether it is correct.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Of course, you are being deliberately obtuse. Heliocentrism replaced Geocentrism--and it took many hundred years for that to occur. That is the comparison I was making, as you well know. Which theory is "winning" at any given moment tells us nothing about whether it is correct.

Correctness is, in large part, a function of its predictive value. ID has none.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Says who?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Says who?

Go ahead, make some predictions based on ID.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I asked first. Says who?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I asked first. Says who?

I retract my sentence that ID has no predictive value and replace it with: what unique predictive value does ID have?

Here is your opportunity to demonstrate the 'correctness' of ID and the fallacy of Darwin.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take a shot at some predictions based on ID. Irreducible complexity arguments for ID will continue to be more narrowly focused as biological understanding increases. The more that is known, the less complex these biological systems seem to become. Irreducible complexity is just another version of argument from ignorance claiming cellular structure is too complex to have evolved.

Lots of things that were once thought too complex to understand are now very well understood and there is no reason why biological systems would be any different. Advances in genetic engineering will be unrecognizable in 20 years to today's level of understanding just like today's is from 20 years ago.

The ID arguments as we know them today will "evolve" accordingly though and there will be new arguments for a creator based on the then current level of understanding. This cycle has been going on since the geocentric vs. heliocentric days and beyond. It's the god of the gaps argument. The gaps keep getting smaller but there will always be unknowns so something new will become irreducibly complex and therefore an argument for a creator. Belief in a creator god is a personal issue of faith.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RobJordon
Bingo!! Scientific truth is determined by its popularity---not on the soundness of its premises, conclusions or evidence. Thank you for proving my point.

You miss represent science. A scientific theory is never "right", it just hasn't been proven wrong. If we collect a larger data set that proves a theory wrong, it is no longer a theory.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 12 of 45 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 44 45

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.