Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
It would be nice to hear from others using kuiu products, your likes/dislikes.
I've used the some of their clothing for a good part of two seasons of elk, mule deer and mn whitetail.

Attack pants- best all around hunting pants I've ever used. Sheds water pretty well,great breathability, quite and quick to dry

Spindrift jacket- bummed it's no longer made, but own several and think highly of it.Good warmth to weight ratio.

DSC jacket_ great fit and function, a good choice for all but the coldest or wettest weather.

185 merino wool top. Great for base layer, no stink but a bit itchy when wet.

So thats about it for me, so far I've been very happy with their gear and will continue to use it as it strikes a nice balance as a higher cost, quality product. As with most clothes, the fit is highly personal, for me it's right on.
I sure wish they'd bring back the spindrift....

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love my Attack pants.

I'm really debating on getting an ICON pack or a Stone Glacier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do they make a wool Henley type base layer? I have been casually looking for one but can't seem to find one without a zipper.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Has anyone used the Attack Pants in a woodland environment? Want to know how they stand up to briars and other typical snags you encounter negotiating Midwest regrowth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider Kifaru as well. Never used more durable or comfortable gear, or as well thought out. You can also sell it used for near the same cost as new! The used stuff sells quickly because it's available without a wait to have Kifaru build it for you.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have the spindrift bummed I didn't sell it before a couple holes ripped in the elbow that happened from heavy use on the armrest of my truck. Wish I had gotten the kratos from kryptek.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Attack pants are great but the DWR is long gone.

Spindrift is a great jacket and goes with me on every hunt.

Tiburon pants aren't quite as comfy as the Attacks but they are way cooler.

180 Merino shirt is good but doesn't fit me that great.

All in all I like the Kuiu stuff. Customer service has been really good. Put the merino shirt in my cart on the outlet page and when I pulled the trigger it wasn't there. I called and they sent me a brand new shirt. I didn't make a stink about it or anything. Very cool on their part. Now I just wish they'd get a Superdown Hoodie in charcoal in stock. Tired of hearing a buddy moan about it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Has anyone used the Attack Pants in a woodland environment? Want to know how they stand up to briars and other typical snags you encounter negotiating Midwest regrowth.

I've used them and the Tiburons in thick buck brush. They both held up well. Not Midwest, but thick brush nonetheless.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been wearing the attack pant for three years in PNW and do they show some wear but I have never ripped them they are holding every up bit as good as my sitka pants probably better.I think they are the perfect weight as I can wear them during bow season and rifle season and the solids are a nice color. The wear looks like thread pulls from black berry and devils club. They have held up pretty darn good. I like the spendthrift as well.

Last edited by ehunter; 11/18/13.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm using a DCS Guide Jacket and 185 and 230 Merino wool shirts this year. Very pleased. During my elk hunt hunt temps got down to the teens and I was very comfortable. I also had a Cabela's switzer primaloft layer.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love my Kuiu stuff. I think this was the third year I used it.

The attack pants work extremely well for me, and are my favorite pair of pants period - I have a hard time finding pants that fit. They are too warm for summer hikes, and I pretty much save them for sheep season, so they don't see that much use. I did rip them when putting my pack on when the ice axe point grabbed the knee and I lifted the pack - that was stupid and could have cost me a knee cap. Other than that, there are some pills and such from brush, but I'd say they are holding up well.

My jacket (guide jacket I think?) shows some wear around the cuffs from brush busting and crawling on rocks. Other than that, it is holding up well. It is not waterproof (and is not advertised as such) but will repel rain for a little while until the DWR fails.

Spindrift is still rocking on strong, but again - don't expect it to be bullet proof. The shell is very thin, and I wouldn't expect to walk through alders with it as my outer layer and have it to come out unscathed.

All the merino has been good - I have 185 tops and bottoms and hat. Wife stole my neck warmer thingy... don't think she has broken it.

ETA: I forgot about the gloves - I bought the guide gloves (I think). They were awesome, but got soaked several times and when they dried out the leather on the palms is hard as a rock. So I've been playing with other gloves. I probably just need to soak some kind of leather treatment into them, but haven't done it.

Last edited by cwh2; 11/18/13.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I wear it here in California where we we have to deal with all sorts of varieties of thistle like this...it handles it awesome.

As far of the rest of the line I have it all except the waterproof stuff. The tiburon sleeves were a huge dissapointment (sewn wrong), but that fabric itself is awesome for the heat.

I've worn attack pants and the 185 in temps from 5 to 109 and they worked great (though now the tibruon is better).

This year I really liked the versatility of the glove line though I hope there is a thicker liner for the Yukon. My merino and guide glove underneath it wasn't enough in the really cold.

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been buying only their solid colors and mixing them up so to avoid a monotone look. This will give me other uses than just hunting. I'm hoping the Yukon and down jacket come out in solids too. I understand the appeal in camo - but I've drifted away from that look. If I exclusively bowhunted, yes.
I see their site has been down for over a day now. I called and they are doing a major site upgrade. I asked if they were going to sell health insurance too. She laughed.

I had a backpack for one season. I couldn't get the hang of that wrapped closure for the main top opening. It would open on its own if you had it a little stuffed. I don't know why they insist on doing that when all their other compartments are zippered.

Obviously major league expensive but Sitka ain't no bargain either. Just got the Schnee's Catalog - gulp!

I will still buy selected pieces if they come out in solids.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/19/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't know about your Midwest briars and snags but they do not hold up to Southern briars and snags. I'm just in my second season with them. No tears but I have numerous picks and fabric snags below the knees. I wore them last year, umm, maybe 15 days or so. Not heavy brush busting and no brier busting, just typical wear. I've worn them about 7 days this year. Just finished a hunt and walked a river bottom. Have more picks. I would not expect much of anything to handle blackberry briers and our Mtn Laurel but just encountering typical woods sticks and snags I would have expected better wear. So I'm not impressed with their durability against just "normal" hunting wear & tear seeing as how they have not been subjected to anything that could be considered "extreme" conditions.
I believe if I DID wade into the briers and brushpiles while wearing them they wouldn't last two days, if that.
Having said that, I love the fit and feel. I love the stretch and the comfort. I love the zippered back pockets and full cargo pockets. I love the quick dry and the somewhat water repellency.

But I think they are overpriced and before I replace them with more Kuiu Attack pants, I will look into some Marmot pants that seem to be similar but less expensive.

I love my Kuiu Spindrift jacket. Lightweight, warm, durable and stuffs in it's own pocket and can be used as a pillow.

I just wish Cabelas made their MicroTech doodads in some solid colors. I've grown to really dislike camo.

Last edited by snubbie; 11/20/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
But I think they are overpriced and before I replace them with more Kuiu Attack pants, I will look into some Marmot pants that seem to be similar but less expensive

I think you'd be really happy with the Marmot Scree. Keep an eye open, find them on sale. They come in solids, and the greatest thing for me - a 34 inch inseam! (listen up Sitka...)

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Love their stuff. I just wish they would size like they are addressing the US market and not the Asian market.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HFlier
Love their stuff. I just wish they would size like they are addressing the US market and not the Asian market.
Ha! Since I resemble that comment, it made me chuckle! laugh

B
B
I have the attack pants and really like them. I plan to get more of their gear in future, like the merino 230 zip tee for Christmas; anyone that has the 230 top (zip or crew) care to share your opinion on them?

Last edited by back_country; 11/21/13.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have the 230 zip and don't really use it that much. While the 185 is very comfortable next to skin the 230 is not for me. I think it was designed to go over the 185. I've used it that way a couple of times but it doesn't add as much warmth as a puffy or a fleece.

When I'm hiking hard the 185 by itself or with a shell is enough even when the temps are well below freezing.

When its cold and I'm not hiking I like a puffy jacket. I just haven't found many situations where I wanted the 230. I haven't used it at all this year.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by back_country
I have the attack pants and really like them. I plan to get more of their gear in future, like the merino 230 zip tee for Christmas; anyone that has the 230 top (zip or crew) care to share your opinion on them?

I concur don't bother with that get a puffy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.