Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Glad I read this thread! I have an Optima and I will definatley be watching for this from now on! Scary chit there!

Glad nobody was hurt!

I'm the same have the same gun and will not tell anyone how great they are anymore but will tell them about the gun will go off when every it what's. ?????????????????????

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Most inlines have blowback unless care is taken to seal the primer channel. A friend of mine had to send his muzzleloader (not a CVA) back just this summer to have the firing pin replaced. His was rusted and would not strike the primer.

The CVA in this thread has the most user friendly firing pin assembly in the industry. The bushing can be taken out and the firing pin and firing pin spring can be cleaned and inspected.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
It is very easy to care for the firing pin on this gun, and I did it quite regularly. For some reason I still had a catastophic failure. If you are not cleaning yours, you better. Learn from our expensive ordeal. I was disappointed with cva customer service, and think that I should have been offered a full replacement. Oh well. I have a apex that I love and will continue to use. I could understand this happening if I did not do appropriate and thorough cleaning, but I did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the safety reminder, sorry about the truck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
On the Omega I used this year during the Colorado season all of a sudden I couldn't close the breach.

I kept trying to slam it shut before I noticed the firing pin was stuck forward and it was hitting the primer, the primer had a little dent in it, scared me straight.

So, what was the problem, did the busshing work loose?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
On the Omega I used this year during the Colorado season all of a sudden I couldn't close the breach.

I kept trying to slam it shut before I noticed the firing pin was stuck forward and it was hitting the primer, the primer had a little dent in it, scared me straight.

So, what was the problem, did the busshing work loose?

It was a combo of bad gun cleaning practices and the nearly Biblical rains we had. The firing pins was just stuck, I fought it the whole season as I didn't have anything with me to fix it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The CVA in this thread has the most user friendly firing pin assembly in the industry.

I don't think that you can get any simpler than my TC woods rifle. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I hunted in those biblical rains too. Had a misfire the morning before I got the shot at my elk, luckily I was just firing to clean and reload.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You had a misfire with your Triumph? Did the primer fire?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blackhorn
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Glad I read this thread! I have an Optima and I will definatley be watching for this from now on! Scary chit there!

Glad nobody was hurt!

I'm the same have the same gun and will not tell anyone how great they are anymore but will tell them about the gun will go off when every it what's. ?????????????????????

Not sure if I'm reading your response correctly here but it seems like you are tossing sarcasm my way for saying I will watch for a stuck firing pin in my gun now due to the OP's experience. To me that's reading and comprehension 101. If someone posts a legit safety concern for the same make and model weapon you own, it's common sense to watch for it. No????????????????????

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
His post didn't make sense anyway.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
You had a misfire with your Triumph? Did the primer fire?

Yup. The powder (BH209) got wet. I got rained on pretty hard, and had black tape over the muzzle. I think what happened was, if you carry the rifle muzzle down, water runs down the outside of the barrel and collects in the tape. Then when you turn it muzzle up, the water runs into the bore. The primer lit, the powder went "ppffffffft" and the bullet blooped out and hit the ground about 20 feet away.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Oh ok. You sure it didn't get in the breech anywhere. I have a Triumph too, and more than likely will get some rain in ML season.

I usually use saran wrap on the muzzle with a rubber band. I was thinking of trying those condoms that go over the muzzle, but i'm not sure that they don't change the POI when shot through.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402648

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 11/19/13.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was gonna try those condoms, but I heard that with a condom, the animal isn't really dead.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
His post didn't make sense anyway.

No. It really didn't. confused

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
I was gonna try those condoms, but I heard that with a condom, the animal isn't really dead.

grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have heard condoms will fail occasionally also....just saying

And then your firing pin having a failure, it's time to seek professional help....

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Are you referring to my OP as "not making since"? If so I would be more than glad to explain what happened and why it happened again.

Last edited by kevinJ; 11/19/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Are you referring to my OP as "not making since"? If so I would be more than glad to explain what happened and why it happened again.

I was talking about blackhorn's post on the 3rd page.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kevin, Mauser was talking about blackhorn's post.

I have not had a chance to look at my Optima since this was posted but I would be grateful if you could kind of explain how to thoroughly clean the firing pin.

Or is it pretty self explanatory once you have the gun in front of you?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.