Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not that I would recommend it but....
About 35 years ago I helped gut a elk shot by 15 year old we had just watched shoot with a 30 carbine. He had shot it across a canyon on a trail we were watching 100 yards or so from us.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought about this thread over the weekend. I went to visit Dad at his place, and showed him my AR15, which he found interesting as I showed him the various features. We chatted about what features were currently popular on military carbines, and he told me how annoyed he was when he got to England during WW2.

He had a very good shooting 03 Springfield. As soon as he got there they took his .30-06, and replaced it with an M1. He was thoroughly disgusted with it, and in his words, "as a Master Sergeant I decided it was time to exercise the privileges of rank, and traded in that piece of junk, and got a Thompson. The armorers didn't like it, but couldn't say anything". For someone who is normally a quiet, hard working man it was amusing as hell, hearing him put it that way. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A co-worker and friend was a rifle instructor during the early WWII days , Camp Perry Ohio.
And he shot comp with his Garands as well.

When he went over there, the first thing he did was swap his beloved M1 for a M1 Carbine. He said, of course it was half the rifle, but it was also half the gun to lug around!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
USGI Quality Hardware .30 M1 Carbine, with period ammo pouch on the stock, and a M4 bayonet. Sweet shooter too!
[Linked Image]

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I went to visit Dad at his place, .... and he told me how annoyed he was when he got to England during WW2.

He had a very good shooting 03 Springfield. As soon as he got there they took his .30-06, and replaced it with an M1. He was thoroughly disgusted with it, and in his words, "as a Master Sergeant I decided it was time to exercise the privileges of rank, and traded in that piece of junk, and got a Thompson.

Years ago, I knew a man who was an Army motorcycle dispatch rider in Europe during the war. He had an '03 Springfield, which he loved, and it too was taken from him when he got to England.

When he got to France, he picked up a k98 taken off a prisoner and looked at it, turned it over in his hands, found a place to test-fire it, and decided it was the very equal of his lost, beloved '03.

He carried the k98, and captured ammo, to the end of the war. He knew all the stories of the SS executing Americans holding captured German arms, but he was a contrary man, and, fortunately, was never captured.

I don't believe he sent it home after the war, though. Guess he thought he'd get another '03.

- Tom

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dad was another WWII vet who did not especially care for the carbine. I regret having never prompted him to fully explain that stance. We shot one together on at least on occasion and he was a great deal less than enthusiastic about it, that I remember.

He loved his Garand and a guy from his company told stories of dad carrying a Thompson for some time at my dad's visitation.

A buddy of mine once brought his newly purchased Garand by dads house to show me. I thought he was going to panic when dad started stripping it down. Once he reassembled it the guy's question was simple - "how you do dat?".

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The M1 Carbine was never intended to be a replacement for the Garand or the Springfield.

Some years ago I saw at a Gun Show an M1 Carbine with a . 223 caliber barrel. the 30 carbine case had been necked down to .223. I found out later this was a fairly common practice and it had a name but I can't remember what it is now. I always thought that it would be sorta like a 222 or 223.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Turtles!!

The AR15 is a POS also!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 02/22/11.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pigs, if you ain't too picky about finding them and just want to put holes in as many as possible as quick as you can.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pigs ain't tough, a Carbine will do the trick. Make sure you got an empty freezer if you pack a banana clip.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Pigs ain't tough, a Carbine will do the trick. Make sure you got an empty freezer if you pack a banana clip.

Up to bit shoat size you are right. Big hog, especially if it is packing any fat is kind of iffy. May take a couple three holes to put one down.

You may be a better shot with a carbine than I am. grin

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was in the SeaBees from 47 to 53 and they used to shoot Stingrays and sharks in Truk Lagoon for fun using .45s and M-1 Carbines. They would shoot the Rays to attract the Sharks and eat the sharks.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Breathe a touch of life back into this old girl....

Marlin Model 62 Carbine.

Kewl!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Factory .30 cal 110 gr softpoints are, terminal-ballistically speaking, more than adequate for use on 2-legged varmints, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one to take deer-sized game out to 75 yards. Handloading could stretch that to 100 yards, if one had a mind to...

M1 carbines are a blast.

I agree wholeheartedly with the good doctor. I have a friend who used to hunt every year with a 30 caliber M1 Carbine (IBM mfg.). He put deer in the freezer every year with it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wabbits.

[Linked Image]

(May as not let an entire thread go to waste.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
I know depending on the cartridge stats and all but turkey, coyotes, deer...???

Thieving crackheads.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
They're good for jackrabbits...

they sure are. I remember a trip I took with the first wife, out to New Mexico. When we crossed from Amarillo down that steep escarpment into New Mexico, I stopped the VW Bug, and walked out into the desert with the .30 Carbine, and shot the heck out some jack rabbits.

Forgotten about that. 1970. What a trip. Cooler of Coors, couple bottles of Annie Greensprings, and some toke. I had a brick on the gas pedal, sitting on the sunroof, steering with my feet. lol. What a trip.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elmer, are you bored?

The Carbine will kill pigs I hear. Is too short to use as a 'mater stake.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hi BD! How goes it Brochacho!?!?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,665
Posts18,513,015
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.