Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
...not necessarily for Surviving a cold wet night wink

I was thinking about what gear to pack for an unexpected overnight where you are caught in the dark too far away from camp/home or the vehicle. Do you just bring a powerful headlamp and get back to camp regardless?

What would you carry in your day pack for such a thing or is that scenario too improbable?

PS. I guess I have been reading too much Whelen wink

Last edited by alukban; 11/19/13.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never bet your life on getting back to camp. How far can you walk with a sprained ankle?
Hypothermia can get you. You MUST stay dry. 2 large leaf bags can do that. Pull one over your legs and cut a face hole in the other to go over your top.
If it's cold or if you get wet, several kinds of fire starter stuff is needed. Don't rely on just a book of matches.
I always carry a 2d light of some kind. Have you ever tried to change batteries or a bulb in the dark?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
True to all that Rock Chuck smile

It's amazing how easily I can get turned around even on my own land. When I have been out in the damp and late dimming light (just NE woods - no wind blown mountain tops for me), I have always thought that I'd rather not keep walking and instead start with a fresh mind (not panicky) when there is lots of light. Even with a flashlight, woods are woods and it is difficult to see visual gross landmarks through tree trunks and leaves.

One of the things I've noticed is how folks really stress the importance of fires. I easily concede that fires are a great and important tool but if I am not wet I'd rather have a sleeping bag, pad and tarp in a bivy kit than an axe to process fuel for a fire. I hear you on the garbage bags because they are light and cheap. These days though, you have so many options of ridiculously light (albeit expensive) gear that allows you to practically bring a full camp with you in your emergency day pack.

Anyways - just mulling.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
While hunting, I often carry my pro lite torso pad, or a small eva pad and a quilt and a really good fire kit. I figure if it sucks enough, I can get under a tree, use some branches and spend a night. With day clothes and such, I should be able to make it to 20 or so, if I can stay out of the wind or moisture.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone ever consider the AMK SOL escape bivvy?

IC B2

A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I had seen those at REI. Those really look like great in letting you be out there comfortably and they're only about 8.5 oz and 50 bucks.

The cuben fiber bivy bags I have seen are at about 5oz for around $150 and up, it seems. So, less than half the weight at more than 3 times the price is the math going on in my head.

I'd still bring a tarp and sleeping bag + pad though. I've been making a list just now smile I would also add a small billy pot, instant Vaio coffee packets, a bunch of protein bars and maybe at least 2 freeze dried meals.

A "survival" outing is just camping if you are warm and eating smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one and used it in tandem with my sleeping bag. It was nice. I was in a tent and on a pad, but I think it kept me a bit warmer.

For 50 bucks why not.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I plan to investigate these products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZCjiLqqYw

These things are "super" space blankets that use elastic to trap air in addition to reflecting body heat like an ordinary space blanket. They are designed by Montbell and made here until their liscense.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As soon as you start adding sleeping bags, etc, you no longer have a day pack but an overnight pack which, by definition, is heavier and less apt to be on your back when you take a quick hike to look for tracks or something. A well stocked pack in camp is pretty useless.
A few years ago in AK, a hunting party was camped on the beach of one of the islands. One sunny, warm afternoon a young guy and his wife decided to run up the hill to look for new sign. Since it was so nice, they took only a rifle. At the top of the hill, heavy fog rolled in and they got totally lost for 10 days. They survived but barely. A light day pack with the essentials would have saved them a whole lot of 'discomfort'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No one said anything about taking a sleeping bag in their day pack. I just happened to use it with my bag at camp.

I was referring to the AMK SOL escape bivvy......

http://www.campmor.com/adventure-me...p;ci_sku=89915&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Which is basically a waterproof lightweight (it weighs 8.1 ounces) bivvy (that would replace one of those cheapass mylar blankets).

But whatever...

Last edited by JWP58; 11/19/13.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poncho liner is the chit for all kinds of reasons.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Actually, I said taking a quilt and small torso pad for days when I think there is a decent probability I won't come back. 2 lbs ish , and honestly I usually carry the torso pad for sitting when snow is on the ground anyway, so 1.5 lbs for the quilt. The torso pad is in my pack a lot anyway.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I definitely would bring a sleeping bag and full pad now that I think about it more. I bet I could get the entire day pack to still be about 10 lbs - with pack and food.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As soon as you start adding sleeping bags, etc, you no longer have a day pack but an overnight pack which, by definition, is heavier and less apt to be on your back when you take a quick hike to look for tracks or something. A well stocked pack in camp is pretty useless.

The Blizzard Survival Blanket weighs a pound, and is shrink-wrapped in a 2x4x9inch package. The bag is smaller yet. The beauty of these things is, THEY CAN STAY PACKED in your daypack/EDC bag. You can't do that with a quilt, not unless you plan to trash it periodically.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I have two packs, a smaller single strap and a 2200cc regular pack for bigger woods and colder temps. Also, no matter which pack I'm carrying I have a 3rd of a camping mat which I use to sit on when I find a good stand. Both of them have the heavy duty emergency blankets and a survival kit, which includes but is not limited to survival matches, bic lighter and magnesium fire starter as well as multiple small candles that have a 4 hour burn time. In my larger pack I also carry a tarp. I may not have a comfortable night, but I will survive.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Actually, I said taking a quilt and small torso pad for days when I think there is a decent probability I won't come back. 2 lbs ish , and honestly I usually carry the torso pad for sitting when snow is on the ground anyway, so 1.5 lbs for the quilt. The torso pad is in my pack a lot anyway.

Yep, 1.5 pound quilt, 12 oz tarp, and 8 oz CCF pad....2.75 pounds of worth it in my pack everytime I leave camp. laugh So nice when you get up somewhere in the animals and get one down knowing that you have the option to stay on the mountain in relative comfort takes a lot of stress off and opens up options indeed.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Insulation that you carry is a known quantity. Relying on fire to save your skin can get you dead or make for a very long cold restless night.

Have you ever spent 8 or 9 hours gathering enough firewood to keep a fire going and still sleep?

Good luck with that, me I would rather bundle up and sleep all night.

You should already be carrying or wearing most of what you need to spend a night out.

Tarp
Base layer
Insulation layer
Hard shell
Warm hat
Warm gloves
Spare pair of socks
Neck gaiter or shemagh

Add a Kifaru Woobie/Doobie or a quilt and you are golden. Even with adding in a foam torso pad you still keep total weight down to a reasonable level.

Leave the kitchen sink at home when you load your day pack and it won't break the mule.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Insulation that you carry is a known quantity. Relying on fire to save your skin can get you dead or make for a very long cold restless night.

Have you ever spent 8 or 9 hours gathering enough firewood to keep a fire going and still sleep?

Good luck with that, me I would rather bundle up and sleep all night.

You should already be carrying or wearing most of what you need to spend a night out.

Tarp
Base layer
Insulation layer
Hard shell
Warm hat
Warm gloves
Spare pair of socks
Neck gaiter or shemagh

Add a Kifaru Woobie/Doobie or a quilt and you are golden. Even with adding in a foam torso pad you still keep total weight down to a reasonable level.

Leave the kitchen sink at home when you load your day pack and it won't break the mule.

I would never underestimate the value of fire. Gathering fire wood for an entire night can be a huge task, but not if you light a big stump on fire. You can often find big stumps from burned or dead trees that have the base and root system intact. This is usually pitchy, hot wood that will burn for hours.
That said, I agree on bringing some extra gear with you. I really like the HPG Serape' but struggled with the bulk until I started carrying it in an air purge roll top dry bag, a 5 liter size works.

Ed T

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Getting stuff to burn at 10k+ ft when it's been raining or snowing can be a challenge. I would not bet my survival on it.

I always have two light sources, a compass, water, water purification and some snacks, lighter, a small medical kit, game cleaning kit (game bags, knives, wipes) and enough insulation to survive.

H
H
It's always better to be prepared...These poor women died two miles from the trailhead parking lot and one mile from each other with their dogs still in their truck. You never know when a "short hike" will turn into a survival situation.

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Amy-Linkert-Jo-Elliot-Blakeslee-Boise-Missing-225210532.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.