Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by wageslave

If you have 20,000 rounds already QUIT BUYING.......

Its really none of your business what or how much I buy, or maintain. For me, 20,000 is the damn low side of comfortable. My kids and I can burn 1000-1500 rds of .22 in a lazy Saturday pretty damned easily. 20,000 rds doesnt buy many Saturdays.

Hell, I keep a minimum of 5,000 rds on hand of my common centerfire handgun calibers, and .223.

Sweet.
How much can I sell you at 65 a brick?

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yeah that's my point it seems any new machines and equipment would quickly be paid for. Not much net in rimfire ammo I guess?

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ATK went a different way.
They bought Savage and Bushnell. grin

They diversified...... cause they know when this is over, they will be laying off workers and going back to "normal" production.

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Its really none of your business what or how much I buy, or maintain. For me, 20,000 is the damn low side of comfortable. My kids and I can burn 1000-1500 rds of .22 in a lazy Saturday pretty damned easily. 20,000 rds doesnt buy many Saturdays.

Hell, I keep a minimum of 5,000 rds on hand of my common centerfire handgun calibers, and .223.

Hey you wouldn't happen to live over in east tx would you? I think that might be you and your family next to my deer lease out having a good time every Saturday afternoon grin

Your story is pretty extraordinary but I don't think it is rare. Great way to bring up some excellent marksmen.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RDFinn

How much do you think is bought with the intention of actually shooting it one day ? You know, the non-Barak and non-Real Hawkeye types ?

A small fraction.

The vast majority of the shortage is caused by retail stores selling 100% below the market value.

That's why the stores like Cheaper Than Dirt have inventory, and Wal-Mart and Big R's do not.

If the retail stores would jack their pricing for the next year, things would level off. Until they do, there will be a shortage.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Sweet.
How much can I sell you at 65 a brick?

Not a single one. I have been buying here and there, but I havent bought a single round at anything other than normal prices. The shop I frequent keeps what they get for regular customers and those who buy guns from them. They dont mark it up to anything but normal prices.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
2,000 rounds a Saturday eh?

Ok.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Not intending to start additional pissing matches, but I don't agree with 100K being the "average" lay in. I'm with the other 3 Broke Dick guys who have 2-3000 on hand.

I have to renig and state that I have seen some ammo.......22 LONG not LR showed up as well as a few boxes of shorts(insert dull, uninspiring firework pop here)

Don't start with broke... I"m probably teh lowest paid city inspector in existance. Wife makes more than I do.

Ammo is a choice. If you can't afford much, then you don't shoot much.

Of course when ammo was afforable a case of 5000 rounds wasn't that much. You do like we did. Skip a meal out. Dont' buy beer for the next month. Eat hot dogs. I eat a PBJ sandwhich quite often. It offsets my priorities. But when I eat a ribeye, then I know that I might not be able to pay for bait, or another box or two of shotgun shells. Or the gas to drive over to the lake to duck hunt and so on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I believe the number I quoted was 1000-1500, not 2000. Of course, 1500 is the upper end, but 1000 is not abnormal. Me, my daughter, my wife, and maybe another friend, thats 250 a piece. harld much shooting. Hell, 500rd of 9mm or .223 is fairly normal in a range trip.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Not intending to start additional pissing matches, but I don't agree with 100K being the "average" lay in. I'm with the other 3 Broke Dick guys who have 2-3000 on hand.

I have to renig and state that I have seen some ammo.......22 LONG not LR showed up as well as a few boxes of shorts(insert dull, uninspiring firework pop here)

Don't start with broke... I"m probably teh lowest paid city inspector in existance. Wife makes more than I do.

Ammo is a choice. If you can't afford much, then you don't shoot much.

Of course when ammo was afforable a case of 5000 rounds wasn't that much. You do like we did. Skip a meal out. Dont' buy beer for the next month. Eat hot dogs. I eat a PBJ sandwhich quite often. It offsets my priorities. But when I eat a ribeye, then I know that I might not be able to pay for bait, or another box or two of shotgun shells. Or the gas to drive over to the lake to duck hunt and so on.

I have got to hand it to you, you do like to shoot laugh

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I believe the number I quoted was 1000-1500, not 2000. Of course, 1500 is the upper end, but 1000 is not abnormal. Me, my daughter, my wife, and maybe another friend, thats 250 a piece. harld much shooting. Hell, 500rd of 9mm or .223 is fairly normal in a range trip.

Ok. Not sure where you live but we shoot gophers all spring and early summer and I'm not averaging 1,500 rounds a Saturday. And myself as well as everybody else I know throttled way back this season due to lack of inventory.

Travis

Travis

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have throttled back, as well. I am in no way attempting to insinuate that ammo is not harder to find that it once was. I was trying to make the point that 20,000 rd of .22 is not very much. Further, I never once said I am shooting 1500rd every Saturday, only that 1500rd is not out of line on a Saturday outing to the range. How often those Saturdays happen is variable, based on schedule, weather, etc.

Thankfully, I have managed to maintain a fairly decent amount of stock on hand. It has dipped somewhat, to around 10,000rd, which makes me uncomfortable. I have simply resorted to shooting a lot more 9mm, .223, and .45, of which I have plenty, and can readily make more of.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

EVENTUALLY the market will correct itself.
It would do it sooner, if we would quit buying every round as soon as it shows.

Exactly.

Last edited by red_alder_ranch; 11/22/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by red_alder_ranch

EVENTUALLY the market will correct itself.
It would do it sooner, if we would quit buying every round as soon as it shows.

Exactly.

IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his azz.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I have 7000 rounds of 22LR but the last brick I bought was in 2006! Ammo here in CT has been spotty to you can buy all the shotgun shells you want. The shortage has been with the 9mm 40 and 45 pistol 22 LR 223 308 for the most part. I seen 270 30-06 on the shelf in most places and since I shoot a 7mm RM I have not had a problem finding ammo. I have enough to keep me in venison for the next 35 years- on an expenditure of two shots to check zero and two shots to fill the two tags I get. We have some new laws here, we have to get a permit just to buy ammo now, and there is the Long gun and shotgun permit that takes effect next April. I been told not to even bother with those just do a Pistol Permit and be done with it. Since the other two is pretty much the same. The only bright side is that Crossbows are now ok for deer hunting and we can hunt deer with them till the last day in Jan. Also on Sunday now on private land. Archery only. I don't see any end in sight to this, till the next mid term and the Democrats loose the Senate, and then loose the White House in 2016. Even then its going to take years for things to get back to some what normal. I am still going to shoot, but I am also going to spend more time with Archery- longer season and well I am still going to hunt.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have throttled back, as well. I am in no way attempting to insinuate that ammo is not harder to find that it once was. I was trying to make the point that 20,000 rd of .22 is not very much. Further, I never once said I am shooting 1500rd every Saturday, only that 1500rd is not out of line on a Saturday outing to the range. How often those Saturdays happen is variable, based on schedule, weather, etc.

Thankfully, I have managed to maintain a fairly decent amount of stock on hand. It has dipped somewhat, to around 10,000rd, which makes me uncomfortable. I have simply resorted to shooting a lot more 9mm, .223, and .45, of which I have plenty, and can readily make more of.

Right. So do I. And I have a schit ton of the stuff, but I'm still throttling back and not buying excessive amounts when I find it.

Which was wageslave's point when he wrote the post regarding the arbitrary number of 20,000.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his azz.

For the first time, TAK is right.

Asking people not to buy and sell high is stupid. Thinking people won't snatch up what they find when something is in demand is ridiculous.

The price dictates flow. Retail stores need to jack their prices until things level off. Nobody likes to hear it. Nobody wants to say it, but business is business and things will not level off until the retail stores price the product based on the market.

If gas was being sold @ 1.99 at a gas station, and all the other gas stations were selling it 3.99, which gas station do you think will go empty first?

It ain't complicated.

Travis

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"The price is what the market will bear."
Eco 101
The only thing that stuck with me. Lol

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thou shalt not dispute TheWarrior.

Leviticus [bleep].

Travis

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lol. I've only got about 5000. Last week my lgs had plenty of everything. Loaded ammo. However, their prices reflect the current market. Also, they have a one brick minimum on .22. I also checked with the nearest academy sports. They don't have the one box of each rule they had all summer and their prices where close to Wally's. Wal mart here at the grape had a few cases of champion .45. It was 23 bucks. I didn't buy any. They also had some fed .223 packs in 250 or so that I had never seen before. It feels like it's coming back strong here though I'm still waiting for some lil gun and rl15.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.