Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I dont mean to open the proverbial 'can of worms', but I'm needing some advise on semi-auto pistols for conceal carry.

I pm'd TLEE about a year or so ago, and he helped a bunch, but Rattlesnake and I didnt get our licenses.

So, I'm at it again. Brief history, we both shoot revolvers ( got a 357 w/6" barrel and a 22 lr w/2" barrel). 22 would do for CC, but 357 wont.

I'm told that if you qualify on a revolver that the license restricts you to one, but if you qualify on a semi-auto the license will let you use either. Is that right?

I know nothing about semi-auto pistols and see new ones range from $250ish up to "however much you want to spend".

I need suggestions and comments on make and caliber for CC.

(Just for info-- Rattlesnake is 5'6" about 140 and MEAN, so mean, I'm not sure she even needs a CC. Most folks are scairt of her, anyway!)

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm told that if you qualify on a revolver that the license restricts you to one, but if you qualify on a semi-auto the license will let you use either. Is that right?

That is the way it is in Arkansas. Our instructor made/asked everybody qualify with a Semi Automatic and furnished a Browning Buckmark .22 for those that came with a revolver. Qualifying for the shooting part was not hard. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
I dont mean to open the proverbial 'can of worms', but I'm needing some advise on semi-auto pistols for conceal carry.

I pm'd TLEE about a year or so ago, and he helped a bunch, but Rattlesnake and I didnt get our licenses.

So, I'm at it again. Brief history, we both shoot revolvers ( got a 357 w/6" barrel and a 22 lr w/2" barrel). 22 would do for CC, but 357 wont.

I know nothing about semi-auto pistols and see new ones range from $250ish up to "however much you want to spend".

I need suggestions and comments on make and caliber for CC.

(Just for info-- Rattlesnake is 5'6" about 140 and MEAN, so mean, I'm not sure she even needs a CC. Most folks are scairt of her, anyway!)

Does not make a difference in NC Revolver or Semi? as far as quality carry autos IMHO and that only S&W shield, Kahr 9mm or 40mm, Springfield XDS 45 and a few other compacts are the cat's azz. I only own forty caliber semi-auto

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would recommend two guns in particular to look at.

1. KAHR P9/CW9. You can find good used for $350 range normally. Both are super comfortable and very accurate pistols with one of the best triggers around. I would not recommend the smaller version of the KAHR due to small size and handling issues. I have had a KAHR P9 since they came out years ago and it is my go to gun many times.

3. S&W M&P Shield, again great size CCW pistol that is accurate and comfortable. Problem is finding one at decent price. MSRP is $449 and many places are charging a premium and used are around $400 IF you can find one. I am breaking this one in and so far it is super nice, accurate and ergonomically great for me.

I am big fan of the 9mm in a CCW. One caveat is that requires use of "premium self defense" ammo. That puts it right there with a 45 in stopping power. 9mm is around 92% one shot stop vs the 45 at 96%.

For 24 years in SOF I carried a 45 with ball ammmo because I had to and with ball the 45 is the only way to go, but that is not the same now with the new self defense ammo for 9mm.

CCW weapons are normally smaller and the 40 and 45 often have issues with recoil for many people and the 9mm offers better handling and cheaper ammo to practice which IMO makes it a better choice as easier to shoot normally gives more hits, which is the goal. Fit and feel in the hand are key pistol issues and these two work great for me. I hate glocks for that reason and recommend the S&W M&P line with the interchangable back straps.

BTW, NRA/CCW instructor for 19 years but just my opinion.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In NM - if you qualify with a revolver, that's what you can carry.
- if you qualify with an auto, that's what you can carry.
- minimum qualification caliber is 32.
- you can NOT carry a larger caliber than you qualified with
IN that particular type of gun.

45 Colt and 45 ACP covers me, and "The Warden" for anything practical.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like my gen 3 Glock's. My G26 in 9mm is a great CCW and shoots great too.

Just my $.02, NYH1.

Last edited by NYH1; 11/25/13.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know why Idaho even requires a permit other than to collect the fee. Any kind of instruction on firearms is good enough - military, hunter safety, etc. No training specifically for hand guns is required. A permit is needed only when carrying concealed in a vehicle or inside a city limit. In a car, just set the gun on the seat and no permit is needed. Open carry is allowed anywhere.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Texas may have changed but, shoot with auto, and you can carry either.

I have the same dilemma. I am looking at glocks,29/30, 30s or 36. I want a 29 cause I don't have a 10 mm anymore, that and I can change calibers to 40, and 357 sig by swapping barrels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a safety professional my first instinct when giving my opinion on handgun ownership is safety. There is a definite difference in the safe handling hazards of the two handguns. Line of fire (muzzle control) and trigger control (finger on or off the trigger) are similar between the two. However, familiarity with the operating characteristics of a semi-auto hand gun is critical to the safe handling of same. Not so much with the revolver. For someone who is willing to train sufficiently and shoot regularly to maintain good habits, then the semi-auto is a fair choice. If not, I would recommend the simplicity and safety of a revolver. Personally, one of my favorite and most practical carry guns is a Colt New Agent 1911 in .45ACP. My favorite revolver is a new S&W Mod 40 "Lemon Squeezer" in .38 Special.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When circumstances prevent me from carrying either of those handguns, but I still need to arm myself, I slip into my pocket either a Beretta Tomcat in .32ACP or a 950B Jetfire in .25ACP.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have carried a Kahr MK40 for years, no second thoughts. It is toward heavy but compact, manageable and a real shooter.

Lightest, smallest I go is an LCP. Try to get Cor-Bon DPX.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I live in a state that is super liberal and comes up with a poor rating for gun laws.

We are shall issue for even non residence, no class of any kind is required, and they don't care what you carry. Open carry is legal and our preemption law means you can open carry throughout the state. I am 6'1" and 200. I carry a full sized mil spec 1911 every day all day. With a good holster and heavy duty belt I can even carry in hot weather with just a tee shirt untucked.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't know about LA., but in WI there's no restriction re: qualification vs. carry.

Originally Posted by BountyHunter

1. KAHR P9/CW9. You can find good used for $350 range normally. Both are super comfortable and very accurate pistols with one of the best triggers around. I would not recommend the smaller version of the KAHR due to small size and handling issues. I have had a KAHR P9 since they came out years ago and it is my go to gun many times.
Ditto from here.. The majority of the time I carry my Kahr P-9..

3. S&W M&P Shield, again great size CCW pistol that is accurate and comfortable. Problem is finding one at decent price. MSRP is $449 and many places are charging a premium and used are around $400 IF you can find one. I am breaking this one in and so far it is super nice, accurate and ergonomically great for me.

I am big fan of the 9mm in a CCW. One caveat is that requires use of "premium self defense" ammo. That puts it right there with a 45 in stopping power. 9mm is around 92% one shot stop vs the 45 at 96%.

For 24 years in SOF I carried a 45 with ball ammmo because I had to and with ball the 45 is the only way to go, but that is not the same now with the new self defense ammo for 9mm.

CCW weapons are normally smaller and the 40 and 45 often have issues with recoil for many people and the 9mm offers better handling and cheaper ammo to practice which IMO makes it a better choice as easier to shoot normally gives more hits, which is the goal. Fit and feel in the hand are key pistol issues and these two work great for me. I hate glocks for that reason and recommend the S&W M&P line with the interchangable back straps.

BTW, NRA/CCW instructor for 19 years but just my opinion.
....and a good one at that.. smile smile Yer spot on IYAM..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
OOakie, that Smith 40 is SWEET!! Is that a Turnbull?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old man, looks like every State is different with regards to their CCW rules. Here in FL, no matter what you qualify with, you can carry whatever you want. Here, it is a Concealed WEAPON license.
Today, when out for my constitutional, I wore a Busse Combat fixed blade knife, and a Springfield XDS .45 compact, along with three extra mags.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/25/13.

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I faced the question when I convinced my wife to get her ccw. I was smart enough to let her choose her own firearm. Went to the gun store and "tried a number of sidearms on". I wanted her to get a G19 but she chose a Walther PP something or other. It fit her really well and pointed well. After shooting a few hundred rounds, she realized that although the ergonomics were good, the trigger was difficult along with some other aspects of operating the firearm.

We ended up with a G19 for her. Points well for her, simple and RELIABLE.

For me, Glocks just don't point well. I also like having an external safety for the way I carry and use a firearm so I own a few, but don't carry a Glock.

Originally Posted by BountyHunter

We looked at the Kahrs for my wife. I don't know much about them other than what I've read. I do know they do provide an option of a nice small, slim sidearm.

Best option is to get to the range with a couple different sidearms and have both of you shoot. I always direct people who aren't semi-auto experienced to Glocks. Simple, point and shoot and RELIABLE. G19s are nice sidearms that can be used as a bedstand gun as well with larger mags for even more capacity. Would be ideal if both of you carried the same design to keep things simple.

As to cost, I have seen many lightly used Glocks for that mid $400s.

Finally, get good holsters. Don't be satisfied with something that justs works. Find holsters or carry means that work well for you and your wife. I have a few holsters I use that work well for me. My wife generally doesn't "carry" her sidearm. Wen she does take her sidearm, it is generally on a road trip. In that instance, she uses a custom made fanny pack I had made for her so she can keep the gun in a holster and be able to throw it around her hips when she stops while traveling with the kids.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
OOakie, that Smith 40 is SWEET!! Is that a Turnbull?

I believe Smith may have commissioned Turnbull to make up a batch of case hardened frames. Its been a while since I bought that gun. I've since put some different wood grips on her to give a better purchase and manipulation of the safety.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If'n she's that damn mean you should just carry Rattlesnake with ya, He11 she's only 140lbs. grin

You might wanna take a look at either a S&w M&p 40 CAL OR A 1911 IN 9MM OR 45 CAL. go to a shop that has a range so you can rent a few different one to see what you like. I carry a Kimber full size 1911 in 45 cal every day.

Good luck.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the suggestions/ideas/opinions. Wrote it all down and have been looking at prices/options, etc.

Also made several calls and finally found a place that will let us come and shoot different pistols to see how we like them. I'm sure we'll have to buy the ammo, but that's only fair.

This place also has the CC classes and he answered my questions.

1. In La. you can carry what you want and you can qualify with either a revolver or semi-auto.
2. You can qualify/carry a rim fire. (Must be different in some places)
3. You have to renew the license every 5 years.

Thanks again!

Oh, if I could fit Rattlesnake in a holster and carry it, I wouldnt be afraid to charge the gates of he!!, cause NOBODY messes with her!

Last edited by Oldman2003; 11/25/13.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sig p938 is what I chose. Very happy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
here in MT once you qualify, you qualify.. doesn't matter semi or wheel gun.
I carry a Kimber ultra CDPII .45 or a Sphinx SDP in 9mm daily, just depends on my mood which I load out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, badwolf, 257 mag, benchman, BDR1, 5 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.