Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I need a spotting scope strictly for shooting range use (out to 200-300 hundred yards), and was wondering if you ever compared some of them. The Redfield Rampage 20-60x60 was suggested, but I don't think I need to go anywhere near 60x. I can imagine an inexpensive scope @ 60x would be like looking through a coke bottle.

The Tasco World Class 20-60x60mm Spotting Scope is less money, and probably the same quality?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gun writer or an expert but, I've had 2 cheapo's, a Simmons and a Burris full field and am looking forward to the day I can spend at least a few hundred more than I spent on these pieces of crap. The simple truth is you do get what you pay for. Buy something mid-range at least and don't look back.
Just trying to be a little help.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Bushnell Spacemaster and a Leupold Wind River Sequoia. Both 15-45x60. Bought the Sequoia figuring it would be better at higher power.

Nope. Both about the same, and okay up to about 25x to 30x, not so good beyond that. For the shooting range out to 200 or 300 yds, that's usually good enough.

IMHO, want better performance, have to pay for it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It depends on what you're going to use it for. At 100-200 yards, many cheap spotters will do the job. The one I leave in the range bag in my pickup is a cheap Bushnell, I believe a 12-36x. It works fine at those ranges, but sucks beyond. If I'm shooting farther I bring one of my bigger, really good scopes, but stay in my safe, not my pickup.

I suspect you'd be happier with an angled eyepiece if you're not going to use a tripod tall enough to stand behind.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got a celestron model 80....I think I paid around $125....good enough for me...smooth adjustments and plenty clear to 350...our Max range

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
+1 I had a cheapo once and never again.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sakoluvr,

One thing I should have added that magnification above about 40-45x doesn't normally bring as much benefit as a lot of people who've never used high-power spotters believe. The reason is mirage: There are just too many waves in the air during normal daylight hours to be able to see bullet holes at extended ranges. Of course, it depends on the size of the bullet holes, but unless you're shooting only in calm, cool air early in the morning, 60x ain't going to buy you much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought a Barska 20X60 ED spotter a couple of years ago for about $250 from Midway USA. Not the best, but it works at 200-250 yards picking out 30 cal bullet holes. Not the best, but it works. I'd like to spend (say $2,000+) for a really good scope, but I just can't justify it in my mind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Barska "Colorado" model 20-60x (paid 49.95 with free shipping when Cabela's had them on closeout)I use for a range scope.

So far it has worked really well for that purpose out to about 300 yards.

For me it works most easily when I attach it to a full size camera tripod so I can stand up and use it. I also seldom go above 40X magnification.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 11/26/13.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by michigan70
+1 I had a cheapo once and never again.

I tried a couple of low end spotters before I wished up and purchase a top end spotter. Mile Deer is spot on magnification is not the end all be all. Clarity, definition and resolution is what is needed most

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a Leupold 15-45 Wind River Sequoia. Useless at the top end (wouldn't focus properly), but did ok around 20X-25X.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not a writer. I have had a 15-45 Bushnell Spacemaster for a lot of years. Due to mirage, it is most useful up to just under 25X for targets at the range or for judging mule deer in the Trans-Pecos high Desert. Me thinks mirage, as I can crank it up to 45 on a cool might and see the moons of Jupiter.

Since mirage seems to be our main enemy, I have not considered buying better glass. I have the idea that better would be similarly affected. Could be wrong?

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I need a spotting scope strictly for shooting range use (out to 200-300 hundred yards), and was wondering if you ever compared some of them. The Redfield Rampage 20-60x60 was suggested, but I don't think I need to go anywhere near 60x. I can imagine an inexpensive scope @ 60x would be like looking through a coke bottle.

The Tasco World Class 20-60x60mm Spotting Scope is less money, and probably the same quality?

You have to buy used, but the old Leopold 20x and 25x scopes are bad ass and money well spent. I have used mine to spot to just past the 3 on paper. This was with good cardboard backing and the sun to my ass.

On steel I can of course spot much further.

They are also great lightweight hunting scopes. Worth the search.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jt402
Not a writer. I have had a 15-45 Bushnell Spacemaster for a lot of years. Due to mirage, it is most useful up to just under 25X for targets at the range or for judging mule deer in the Trans-Pecos high Desert. Me thinks mirage, as I can crank it up to 45 on a cool might and see the moons of Jupiter.

Since mirage seems to be our main enemy, I have not considered buying better glass. I have the idea that better would be similarly affected. Could be wrong?

Jack

The more X's the more mirage sucks and that's where the higher end glass really shines. The resolution is so good you can see more with less X's. My spotter is a 15-45X and I rarely take it off 15X. It's just that good and has to be used to be appreciated.

Of course, when mirage is horrible, it's horrible even if you're using 8X binos.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, mirage is the tricky part of high magnification. During midday, if you can't see bullet holes with a good scope on 30x or 40x, you aren't going to see them any better at 60x.

Even light conditions make a difference. Usually sunlight on a target helps, but I've seen days when strong but cloudy light provides an even better look.

Few people use fixed-power eyepieces on scopes anymore, but they are often slightly sharper than variable eyepieces, and lower magnification as well, so will actually do better in mirage.

Pentax used to offers a fixed 30x eyepiece for their top spotters that was incredible--but with a fixed eyepiece you give up the ability to adjust the scope to conditions by turning it up OR down.

When hunting, it's often helpful to turn a variable down in magnification even during periods or cooler, calmer air in the morning and evening, because lower magnification results in a larger exit pupil. This allows us to see more detail, when during the scope up makes the view too dim.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Something not mentioned that I found on two cheaper ones I had was that the adjustment for focus was very course. Seems like I could not fine tune them enough to get to a point that I could see bullet holes even at 100 yards.
I have a Nikon now 15X-45X and there is a world of difference

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looked through enough Konus spotters that I bought one a few years ago. No complaints. Midway has the angled 20-60x 80mm on sale at the moment for $210.

Found a "multiplex" window mount that lends itself well to using an angled eyepiece spotter in that mode. One advantage of the Konus, is that the mount is part of the ring that travels 360 degrees around the body of the scope, so it's easy to get the eyepiece where you want it, from a window mount.

Depending on light/weather conditions, can use as much magnification as is useful. Also has about a 3" slide-out sunshade built into it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the exercise of walking down the range, but I don't have to share my range with others.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got an older Bushnell 15-45x60 Spacemaster and I can't remember ever using it at over 30 power. I also have a 20x scope that I bought from Champion's Choice that I can't remember the brand. It uses a saddle mount so I only use it at the range and actually find it more usable than the Bushnell.

For range use only you are probably better off buying one of the better single power scopes in the 20-25 power range for the same price.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought this cheap ass Simmons today. Black Friday special for 49.00 and will also get a 10.00 rebate! Free shipping too with the promo code 3winter.

I can always use it a few times and throw it in the pond behind the house for 39.00 and not feel bad.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Simmons-Spotting-Scope-Kit/1722998.uts

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.