Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had the opportunity to bump into this Cooper model 22 chambered in 6mm BR Remington the other day.

[Linked Image]

This rifle is pre-enjoyed of course, having an '05 vintage and thus a 1 in 14 twist.

[Linked Image]

But it looks like it could be a shooter.
Came with 90 loaded rounds, 200 pieces of Lapua Brass as well as reloading dies.

Have not taken it to the range yet.

I've reloaded for four other 6mm chamberings, but never the BR or the PPC

Would love to hear comments in regards to do's and do not's with this cartridge as well as the experiences of others.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another cool rifle as always there Glenn...

Cliff should be able to chime in as that is his handle..

have fun playing with it... I certainly know I would...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice rifle. Should be loads of fun, playing with it.

Those Coopers are very accurate, but their factory targets can be misleading. I understand they're shot on an indoor 47 yd. range, not at 100 yds. It'll probably go 1/2" at a hundred, maybe better.

Cooper is one of the best buys for a high performance rifle, IMHO. Lot of gun for the buck.

DF

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Nice....now you need some H4895...Benchmark or IMR8208

That's what my 6BR likes anyway....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gee, here is a link to some 6BR info. It is a 700 set up as a repeater with a 1-14 twist. There is a couple of mild, accurate loads listed.

I went through a little more that 1K, 70 grain TNT's this summer on dogs. Fun and a lot of bang for your powder buck.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...05/Re_Builds_coming_together#Post7690005

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Geedubya: I tried for over a decade to buy a Remington 40XB-BR in caliber 6mm Remington Bench Rest.
I tried everything - even "bribery" of a scum sucking counterman back in Ronkonkoma, New York (he worked at a shop that had an "in" at the Remington Custom Shop and could get Remington 40X's at will!).
These Rifles in this caliber back then were just so popular that NONE came onto the open market or could be obtained by "special order"!
I was about to give up on the 6mm Remington Bench Rest when a friend of mine (who is a Bench Rest quality Riflesmith) offered to build me a heavy Varminter in 6mm Remington Bench Rest.
I am glad I went ahead with that.
The Rifle he built me is so exquisitely accurate and fun to Colony Varmint Hunt with that I would not even consider selling this Rifle, at any price.
I had my 6mm BR chambered (throated) for the then new Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips as I planned on Colony Varminting with it almost exclusively.
And it came out shooting these bullets VERY well indeed - but my Riflesmith friend suggested I try some 68 grain Euber custom bullets in it.
Holy Cow!
Be sure to try some 68 grain Euber bullets if you want to see how well your beautiful new (used) Rifle will shoot.
I can not make out the "brand name" of the 70 grain bullets used on your test target that shot so well.
Is that "BlitzKing" there in the handwritten brand of bullet section?
I hope you enjoy your Cooper 6mm BR as much as I enjoy my custom 6mm BR.
By the way I have a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm variable scope on my Rifle and it takes advantage of ALL of the magnification in that scope - I have often debated with myself about mounting one of my 36 power Leupolds on this Rifle and taking it to a dead calm 107 yard long tunnel I have permisssion to shoot in.
And find out how well it really does shoot.
Oh and this... I have tested 4 brands of powder in my 6mm BR and to date good old H 322 gives the best accuracy.
I also use Norma brass and Federal 205M (match) primers.
Again best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had a friend that was Gene Harwood, he was head of the National Benchrest Shooter's Ass'n for a while. Gene sat a world record for that time(mid 80's) with his 6 BR with a 1-14 twist that was 24" long. He was shooting his own 60g Bullets at 3700 fps with H335. As we were massacring ground squirrels, he encouraged me to have one of my short barrel'd benchrest barrels chambered in the 6 BR with a Short leade or Zero leade.

So, after ordering a reamer, I had a 22" barrel sat up in 6 BR. First group was in the 3's, second groups in the 2's, then a group in the 1's at close to a max load.

Currently, I have 3 6 BR's and I shoot AA2230 in them with with the Nosler 55g at 3900fps+, and sub 1" groups at 300 yards.

The 60g Sierra is an unreal accurate load with H335 or AA2230, and be warned that super accuracy with very low standard deviation will occur at near max loads. Book max may or may not mean anything with your rifle since this is a wild cat cartridge. Pay attention to pressure signs on your cases and let that be your guide.

I shot the bullet weights through 75g V Max and some 75g low drags that I made, and the Nosler 55's outperformed them all at 300 yards...humbling when you own an expensive set of bullet making dies.

At 100 yards, all 3 of my 6 BR'shoot groups like the one that you pictured or smaller with all bullets.

If you need any help, send me a PM.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Guys,

thanks for all the feedback. It is much appreciated.

I've cleaned the barrel to bare metal.

I had the shop I purchased it from remove the scope prior to shipping.

Will load some different combos from the stuff I have on hand, get it on paper, foul the barrel, and see what develops and post some pix of groups.

Best,

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
John,

10/4 and thanks. Call ya' soon.

Dirtfarmer,

This will be the 17th Cooper I've had the opportunity to fondle over the last few years. All purchased pre-enjoyed. All would do better than 1" at 100 with my handloads. All shot better than I do. I enjoy having the targets, but don't put too much stock in them.

Tikkanut,

I'm a Hodgdon junkie and have both Benchmark and 8208 XBR.
I'm thinking of starting out with 55 gr. Noslers, CCI 400's, Benchmark, RL-7 and H-335 with 3 to 4 load densities per powder.

6MMWASP,

thanks for the link

VG,

long time no talkie. It's been a while since your AR days.

Yes the target sez 70 gr. Blitzkings. I'll check out ordering some Euber Bullets (that name takes me back to the Small Caliber News days).

Keith,

thanks for the input,and the offer of help. If I run into trouble I'll prolly give you a jingle.

Once again, thanks guys.

Best,

GWB

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A beautiful rifle in a great cartridge!
I play at the local "Varmint for Score" matches during the summer and have helped set up two other buddies with their own 6mmbr rifles too.
We have all been happy with how well this cartridge competes.
1-14 is the typical twist for 65-68gr match bullets so you're in good company.
A lot of performance in a small package.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 6BR favored H-322 and Benchmark, but it didn't dislike Varget, either, for the heavier bullets. Mine was a Hart 6PPC pipe rechambered for the BR after a local BR shooter decided it wasn't good enough to compete with. I had it rechambered to BR so it would fit a Savage action I had laying around, and it was no trick to shoot .25" groups with it, even with a factory trigger on that old action.
It sure did a good job on prairie dogs with it's favored bullet, the old 70gr. SPSX that Hornady quit making (it was a slow-twist barrel).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks again, all ya'll!

loaded up some 55 gr. Noslers with Rl-7 and Benchmark (4 different densities)

loaded some 70 grain Noslers with H-4895 and some 8208-XBR (3 densities each)

Picked up some Sierra 60 gr HP Sierra Varmiters earlier today and will load with H-322 (just found behind some other stuff) and some CFE 223.

Blowing about 20 MPH out now,

If it lays I'll be set up with my chrony by 7:30 in the AM. Wind don't usually come up at the range till 9 AM or so on a calm day.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/23/13.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That 60 grain Sierra HP and the 65 grain V Max are TWO highly over looked bullets that are super accurate when I load them in 243s and use 6 BR data...

favorite two powders for those ( at 6 BR data levels) is with RL 7 and H 322...

I have about 1000 55 grain Ballistic Tips in 6mm I picked up at a sale at Nosler's Pro Shop year ago.. got like a thousand for $50 or $60.....but I prefer the 60 grain Sierra HP any day over it...

Supposedly before the last Obama Scare hit, they were planning both a 55 grain and 70 grain Varmaggedon bullet in 6mm...

those come out, particularly the 70 grainer, I can see me picking up a thousand to 1500 of those...

some day I just have to make the 6 BR plunge, but every time I think about it... I think of my half dozen 243s and ask myself, what will the 6 BR do for me that the 243 with that data won't...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have built one 6mmBR with 14" twist.
The 65 gr Vmax stabilize fine.
The 75 gr Vmax may shoot 0.2 moa, or they may keyhole. It is right on the edge. A little more muzzle velocity can make the difference.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.