Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My son bumped into a possible deal. SN: 1722725 supposed to be from 1950, said it seems to be in near mint. I'm wondering if it's been refinished?
What value shoul I consider it at? If it's original but what if it's "restored"?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BigNate; 11/29/13.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Depends on how "restored" it actually is...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad bought one brand new when he got out of high school in the mid 40's and still has it. It doesn't have the gloss finished stock like that one. Dad's is more of an oil finish which leaves me to ask which one is right?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
My Dad bought one brand new when he got out of high school in the mid 40's and still has it. It doesn't have the gloss finished stock like that one. Dad's is more of an oil finish which leaves me to ask which one is right?

Your dad's is probably "right". However, most that I've seen have finish that is flaking off and dry wood showing...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm thinking it is older than 1950. I don't have my books in front of me but the long forearm makes it pre-war. Or it was replaced during the refinish. We can't see the butt plate in the photo so we don't know if it's original. Please tell me that it doesn't have a recoil pad. I'm assuming it has an aftermarket sling swivel in the stock to go with the one on the magazine tube. So, just judging from the picture I'd say it is a nicely refinished shooter grade 94 and around here it would probably fetch $375.00 to $500.00. I certainly wouldn't mind taking it for a walk in the autumn woods. Best of luck; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
I'm thinking it is older than 1950. I don't have my books in front of me but the long forearm makes it pre-war. Or it was replaced during the refinish. We can't see the butt plate in the photo so we don't know if it's original. Please tell me that it doesn't have a recoil pad. I'm assuming it has an aftermarket sling swivel in the stock to go with the one on the magazine tube. So, just judging from the picture I'd say it is a nicely refinished shooter grade 94 and around here it would probably fetch $375.00 to $500.00. I certainly wouldn't mind taking it for a walk in the autumn woods. Best of luck; Mike

Around here, just about any pre 64 model 94 brings a premium. Say $500.00+. That's a nicely refinished rifle.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having studied these models for a few decades now, from the distant photo, the gun appears to be original. Another person said his dad has a gun the same year that has an oil finish. Winchester used a spray on varnish looking very similar to your. The long forend is common in 1950 as this was a change over years, so both long and short can be seen. Closer photos would help to determine originality.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They made a lot of these and relatively speaking they weren't made that long ago. It's not uncommon to see them in high condition like this one appears to be.

B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Checking the number it is a 1950 production, 20" barrel, there were 98,195 made. It has a metal stippled but plate.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Starting to look like a reblue to me, at least the receiver. However, there is nothing like holding something in your hand vs. pictures. If I were looking to buy this one and only had these pictures to go by, I would only be willing to pay a reblue price for it.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Original or refinish...she sure looks purty! I'd love to bring her home.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sure looks like a total restoration to me and yes it is beautiful. Someone did some fine work. I'd use it and admire it as well. Who cares if collector price got washed away with the refinish. I like it!!

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What he said! ^^^^^^^^^

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 11,196 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,368
Posts18,547,066
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.