-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think those are the ones that he worked with producer Rick Rubin on.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For Cash fans, an interesting interview with author Robert Hilburn about Cash, including the song Hurt.

The Audio:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaP...t=false&id=240778989&m=241549702

The Print Highlights:

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/29/24077...-back-on-the-man-in-blacks-darkest-years

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i guess i'll be the lone dissenter again. i'm a huge John Cash fan, and i think it's a freaking abomination.

but then again, i like country music, so what do i know.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mtcurman
IMO, Hurt and God's gonna cut you down are two of Johnny Cash's best recorded songs. He has the perfect voice for God's gonna cut you down and Hurt is just so powerful. It really sums up his life about perfectly.

Ben

Some say when you hear Johnny Cash�that IS the Voice of God.

They will not be getting any argument from me.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by labarr
Get the CD. It was the last CD he ever did, I think. Largely ignored by his dedicated fans because of his son pushing the thing for his own benefit.

It is almost overwhelming to listen to; the man's final brilliance.

I'll second that. My wife and I first saw the video together just before he died and she remarked, that is his last song.

Great musician and a great man. Not perfect, but a great man, nonetheless.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trent Resnor from Nine Inch Nails wrote the song and he was none too happy about Johnny covering it. I remember he hadn't been on the radio for about 10 years and then this put him in the media again. He wrote the song about heroin addiction. I saw the Johnny Cash video the day it premiered and I have all of his American recordings. I thought the song was autobiographical because when he said "I hurt myself today to see if I still feel" and the "the needle tears a hole, that old familiar stain." I thought of him being a diabetic and having to give himself insulin over and over and over again. Trent wrote it about heroin. Then when he said "What have I become, my sweetest friend." "Everyone I know goes away in the end." I think of Waylon Jennings dying and of his wife June's failing health. It could have been written by him. It fits him. If you listen to the American recordings you can tell that he was very weak. I put "heart of gold" on a lot and play along with it. The man was struggling though but he told Rick Reuben that he needed to stay busy or he'd die. It kept him going. U2's song One is very hard to listen to. There's a Tom Petty song too that sounds like he's running out of time. I miss Waylon and Johnny a lot.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my favorite songs ever. I dig the [bleep] out it. Powerful.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For some reason I always thought Johnny Cash had spent some time
in prison, but awhile back I found out it wasnt so.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Merle spent time in prison, not Johnny.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
one of my favorites

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Damn good one, STX.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
guess i'll be the lone dissenter again

No, I don't particularly care for "Hurt", although I wouldn't say abomination.

Been a fan of "The Man In Black" all my life, and love his music. Even his sad songs were always full of life.

"Hurt" is not, IMHO. It sounds like an old man waiting to die. Not the Johnny Cash I know & love.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

For ET, Flyboyflem, RockyRaab and the rest of you men who served in Vietnam.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sitting here thinking back when I was a kid riding in my dad's
car and he had a box of 8 tracks, Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, etc. ahhh to have a time machine.

K
kup Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by rob p
Trent Resnor from Nine Inch Nails wrote the song and he was none too happy about Johnny covering it. I remember he hadn't been on the radio for about 10 years and then this put him in the media again. He wrote the song about heroin addiction. I saw the Johnny Cash video the day it premiered and I have all of his American recordings. I thought the song was autobiographical because when he said "I hurt myself today to see if I still feel" and the "the needle tears a hole, that old familiar stain." I thought of him being a diabetic and having to give himself insulin over and over and over again. Trent wrote it about heroin. Then when he said "What have I become, my sweetest friend." "Everyone I know goes away in the end." I think of Waylon Jennings dying and of his wife June's failing health. It could have been written by him. It fits him. If you listen to the American recordings you can tell that he was very weak. I put "heart of gold" on a lot and play along with it. The man was struggling though but he told Rick Reuben that he needed to stay busy or he'd die. It kept him going. U2's song One is very hard to listen to. There's a Tom Petty song too that sounds like he's running out of time. I miss Waylon and Johnny a lot.

It sounds here that Mr Reznor was "OK" with Johnny doing Hurt.

Trent Raznor on Johnny Cash & Hurt

Trent Reznor talks Johnny Cash
Chris VinnicombeAugust 05, 2008, 09:39 UTC

Nine Inch Nails lynchpin Trent Reznor has spoken about hearing Johnny Cash's spellbinding cover of Hurt for the first time.

Hurt originally appeared on the 1994 Nine Inch Nails album The Downward Spiral. The fourth album in the American Recordings series, 2002's American IV: The Man Comes Around, saw Johnny Cash record an amazing reworking under the guidance of Rick Rubin.

In a recent interview with a British newspaper, Reznor spoke in depth about the Cash version of Hurt:

"I'd been friends with Rick Rubin for several years. He called me to ask how I'd feel if Johnny Cash covered Hurt. I said I'd be very flattered but was given no indication it would actually be recorded.

"Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend."
"Two weeks went by. Then I got a CD in the post. I listened to it and it was very strange. It was this other person inhabiting my most personal song.

"I'd known where I was when I wrote it. I know what I was thinking about. I know how I felt. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive".

It was the moving video, though, that made it all fall into place for the Nine Inch Nails star: "It really, really made sense and I thought what a powerful piece of art.

"I never got to meet Johnny but I'm happy I contributed the way I did. It felt like a warm hug. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. I have goose bumps right now thinking about it.

"Having Johnny Cash, one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time, want to cover your song, that's something that matters to me. It's not so much what other people think but the fact that this guy felt that it was worthy of interpreting.

"He said afterwards it was a song that sounds like one he would have written in the '60s and that's wonderful".

In case you've spent the last few years living on the moon, check out the Johnny Cash version of Hurt here, while here's video footage of Reznor performing his original.

(via The Sun)

kup
(coupe)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Those last couple of albums he put out were by far his best IMO.

That song hurt has a whole new meaning doesnt it?

"If you have to ask you can't afford it" ETN10
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.