Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Can anybody recommend a type of heated socks/insoles???

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer the disposable charcoal toe warmers when I'm hunting up your way.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes...and they work....

Tony

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My buddie told me that thermacell has a new heated sole out I never heard about them I have bad blood flow in my left leg and foot now that it gets cold . I do use the toe warmers and sole, they are hit or miss when the work the work good but some times like the hand warmers they don't work.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlering
My buddie told me that thermacell has a new heated sole out I never heard about them I have bad blood flow in my left leg and foot now that it gets cold . I do use the toe warmers and sole, they are hit or miss when the work the work good but some times like the hand warmers they don't work.

The Thermacell insole's are hit or miss. I've not used them but been with guys who have and sometimes they are great, other times are a total bust.

Could be the tolerance or expectations of the user, I don't know.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those chemical packs have a limited shelf life. More than a year old and they likely will give little or no heat. Always buy fresh ones from a place with a high turnover so you know they haven't been sitting there for months. W-Mart fine, Dollar Store not so much.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never had luck with the chemical packs til this season. I picked some up in Vermont on a whim and they worked great! I was surprised because in the past they never got "hot" or even slightly warm? They don't do well if they get wet either?

I am also looking for a way to keep the toes on my feet? Tried doubling up wool socks to no avail it just cuts the blood off even more being stuffed in the boot and gets colder?

I am now looking into the heater body suit, the big boot covers, and a new pair of boots. I hunted in near zero weather all this week and the only thing that got "frozen" were my dang feet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esox357
I never had luck with the chemical packs til this season. I picked some up in Vermont on a whim and they worked great! I was surprised because in the past they never got "hot" or even slightly warm? They don't do well if they get wet either?

I am also looking for a way to keep the toes on my feet? Tried doubling up wool socks to no avail it just cuts the blood off even more being stuffed in the boot and gets colder?

I am now looking into the heater body suit, the big boot covers, and a new pair of boots. I hunted in near zero weather all this week and the only thing that got "frozen" were my dang feet.

Years back those chemical toe heaters used to work really good, I think these days they cheap out on the ingredients and they rarely work at all.

Wear wool socks, merino wool if you can find them...and use a dry anti antiperspirant on your feet to reduce sweating. It also helps to put a wool insole in your boots to protect you from the cold coming through the soles....

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I've had spotty luck with the toe warmers in the past, but I picked up a new box at Costco a while ago and they have been working perfect. Coldest I've hunted this year was about -23C, but my toe were fine. I always battle cold feet, but these things are working beautiful. I was thinking of picking up another box, but might be best to wait till next year to keep them fresh.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even as a kid I was the first one to get cold feet, and even more so after a fairly mild case of frostbite. The only thing that's really worked for me is wearing more heavily insulated boots than everyone else. All the other solutions have failed me at one time or another. More Thinsulate (or better liner for a pac) works better than more socks, and the boot fits better too.

The thing about those toe warmers is they need oxygen to produce heat so you need a boot that "breathes" for them to work right.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All good ideas Cannuck!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I wear some supposed "-80 below" pacs. Loose fit works better than too many pairs of socks inside. A first pair of synthetics, followed by a heavier pair of synthetics, wool, or wool blend works best for me- as long as it doesn't cramp the fit. Air is your friend.

Doesn't work worth chit if you go into overflow tho.... ask me how I know. Better yet, don't. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,385
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.