Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm probably going to have an opportunity to buy a 4506 in good condition for a very low price. I'm not a big fan of slide-mounted safeties and it is a big gun, but other than that, any issues? Your experiences pro and con?

Many thanks,
Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All pros for me buddy. However, they are big and heavy. I happen to have big mitts and don't mind the weight. It's not going to be a carry piece unless you are Sonny Crocket from Miami Vice. Mine is extremely accurate and functions very reliably. I've won many a bowling pin shoot with mine for obvious reasons. Be ready to take chit from your 1911 lovin buddies, but always be ready to show them up with that great 4506. Excellent pistola as far as I'm concerned...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The third generation guns (which the 4506 is) are great guns. Known for being so reliable they will feed empty brass. Better than adequate accuracy. I've had a few and like them but have gone to a model called a 4566 more of the commander type size. I don't mind the size either given the reliability. I'll take one over a 1911 any day. I've shot ipsc with mine in years past. BSA called it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably the sturdiest, feed-anything-iest 45 ever built, but no one seems to care.

Only negative is that it's difficult to find cheap mags anywhere. I don't know if Mec-Gar ever made 45XX mags but I don't recall seeing any ever.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I really liked mine: big, accurate, soft-shooting. In the end it was no better than my 1911's, of which I have more and enjoy more, so I traded it away. Glad I owned it, though, and it's worth trying one out.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto all this. Mine will feed anything I put in it. Even stuff my XD45 would get hung up on. So the XD went down the road and the Smith stayed. THey are a big handful, for sure.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gratuitous 4506 pic:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I'm probably going to have an opportunity to buy a 4506 in good condition for a very low price. I'm not a big fan of slide-mounted safeties and it is a big gun, but other than that, any issues? Your experiences pro and con?

Many thanks,
Expat
No issues. They are big, as you related and their design is somewhat dated now. They are great guns though and I'd highly recommend one if the price is right.

Personally, I've never owned one but have owned the 1006 iteration, which I loved. I've also owned two or three 5906's which were fine.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
The third generation guns (which the 4506 is) are great guns. Known for being so reliable they will feed empty brass. Better than adequate accuracy. I've had a few and like them but have gone to a model called a 4566 more of the commander type size. I don't mind the size either given the reliability. I'll take one over a 1911 any day. I've shot ipsc with mine in years past. BSA called it.

One problem I noticed after I bought my 4506 is I wanted more 3rd gen smiths. When I was a kid and just getting out on my own, I remember peering thru the glass gun case at the local gun store and wishing I could afford a 4506. I remember reading magazine articles when it first came out and thought to myself, "that is one bad azz gun, one of these days I'm going to get one"!! So I finally got one and then I got a 4006, and a 5906 and had my eye on a 1006 but I still can't afford one of those so I'll keep looking until a good deal comes along at the right time grin:

[Linked Image]

Good tough dependable pistols, all of them, even the west german sig sauer in the picture wink....Make note, mine is actually the 4506-1 blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wish I'd kept my 1006. I could have bought one a few years back for $700 but I thought it was overpriced.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the 645 and it will feed any 45 acp ammo you feed it, but is Big and Heavy , very accurate

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had both a 745 and a 4516 for awhile. I liked them both, but they just weren't 1911s, and that was that. I have nothing against them except the slide-mounted safeties, which are just wrong............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a 1006, and have shot a few 4506's. As well as the 645/745 guns. Smith & Wesson makes a really, and I mean REALLY nice custom shop gun based on them which sells for about $2500.
Their only real "fault" is their weight. They handle recoil better than the 1911 guns, especially in the 10mm models.
They can be had with, or easily modified to take, fully adjustable sights and their triggers respond well to trigger jobs.
Heck, at a "very low price," I'd be sorely tempted to buy it myself. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies, all. I intend to snag it and break out the .45 ACP dies.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It maybe your first 3rd gen
Doubt it will be your last

GREAT GUNS very addictive

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have heard that, Hank. For a couple of different reasons I've got to see how it goes with the frame mounted safety. I may gravitate to the DAO models.

Expat

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You'll like it expat. You'll be smiling the first time you pull that trigger.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One more thought when I first started collecting them they were a bargin
in the last year they have gone up quite a bit
but even at the elevated price in most cases still a bargin

You didnt say what you are paying for your 4506 but those are pretty desirable
and bring good money
the Holy Grail is the 1006 I bought a Delta Elite cheaper than I can get a nice one of those these days

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're fantastic pistols, built hell for stout; dare you to try to kill one!! But they are big and heavy. But the good thing is, they're a PERFECT candidate for a .45 Super conversion.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
They're fantastic pistols, built hell for stout; dare you to try to kill one!! But they are big and heavy. But the good thing is, they're a PERFECT candidate for a .45 Super conversion.

I was thinking it will be a dedicated +P shooter, but this is intriguing.

Expat

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.