Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
M1 elevation only is a big step in the right direction. they still fit my TrailMax scabbard and don't spin like the CDS.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So what you are saying, if a turret had a cover with a cut away piece facing the shooter so they could still turn it ...

You heard it here first.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Or a lock down thing on to of it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by iddave
I've used CDS scopes on all my rifles since the day they came out. I am not particularly kind to my gear. I hunt country as rough as anywhere in the lower 48.

I am truly baffled at the difficulty people are having with their CDS scopes. The zero stop makes unplanned turning a non-issue.

Dave

You've never had the CDS move inadvertently?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I am truly baffled at the difficulty people are having with their CDS scopes. The zero stop makes unplanned turning a non-issue.

Dave

Same here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've used CDS scopes on all my rifles since the day they came out. I am not particularly kind to my gear. I hunt country as rough as anywhere in the lower 48.

Dave

You've never had the CDS move inadvertently?

Probably,...though I don't specifically remember as much.

Dials are DESIGNED to move. If it does so inadvertantly, I'll turn it right back to zero, or whatever distance I intend to shoot. I can zero it without even looking at it, which is the true beauty of the CDS/zero stop. The notion that it takes "too much time" is utter nonsense.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The notion that it would move inadvertently, and not be deemed a major issue, is nonsense.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
One of mine moved inadvertently somehow last week. It took all of 1 second to move it back to zero stop, in pitch dark.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've noticed the guys extolling the virtues of the CDS often don't have much experience with other turrets (there are exceptions, of course). When you've spent some time with a turret that works correctly, it's quite easy to see the design flaws in the CDS.

One second spent checking your turret is one second you often don't have. For example, when hunting coyotes (legally, not on public roadways), I figure 3 seconds is usually how much time a person has between stopping the vehicle, and when the coyote starts moving. In that time, one has to get the gun out the window, load a round, get on target, and fire. Any extra time spent twisting turrets back to zero, because your dog twisted an extra four MOA into the scope when it jumped in the back seat, is time wasted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
One of mine moved inadvertently somehow last week. It took all of 1 second to move it back to zero stop, in pitch dark.

Yep with the zero stop non-issue. While it is not a issue, I am not a fan of the CDS, in fact I am not a fan of any of the single turn knobs out there.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I'm using a Leupold with turrets and have had no problems so far. I've been carrying the scope set at 250yds, but in low light conditions it's was hard to verify it had not somehow moved. So, I put a dab/dot of white paint on top of the turret at the 250yd mark. Problem solved.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm one with no experience with other dials. I like the low profile of the CDS, but truth be known if I did not spin dials of any sort that would be fine. I killed my first 30+ mule deer bucks no telling how many cull aoudad, whitetails, etc without 'em.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by super T
I'm using a Leupold with turrets and have had no problems so far. I've been carrying the scope set at 250yds, but in low light conditions it's was hard to verify it had not somehow moved. So, I put a dab/dot of white paint on top of the turret at the 250yd mark. Problem solved.

That works. The foolproof way IMO is the set POI zero at MPBR, which is probably 3" high @ 100, which is the way I hunted before a yardage/MOA dial was ever even though of. In my case for one of the 7mags zero at 260, out to 340 I"m on hair, therefore I don't have to screw around with spinning a turret unless I have plenty of time, just want to shoot a hog,'yote, rock, or whatever way out there.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
JG, you have a good point. None of the animals I have taken since I had the turret installed required that I spin dials and in most cases there wasn't enough time anyway. But I'm ready.

Last edited by super T; 12/02/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Like you, I like being ready. If I get into a situation I'm confident in, I have no doubt I could kill something a ways out there. That's what got me interested in the CDS in the first place. I like 'em, a lot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The notion that it would move inadvertently, and not be deemed a major issue, is nonsense.

+1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've noticed the guys extolling the virtues of the CDS often don't have much experience with other turrets (there are exceptions, of course). When you've spent some time with a turret that works correctly, it's quite easy to see the design flaws in the CDS.

One second spent checking your turret is one second you often don't have. For example, when hunting coyotes (legally, not on public roadways), I figure 3 seconds is usually how much time a person has between stopping the vehicle, and when the coyote starts moving. In that time, one has to get the gun out the window, load a round, get on target, and fire. Any extra time spent twisting turrets back to zero, because your dog twisted an extra four MOA into the scope when it jumped in the back seat, is time wasted.

Uuhhh...you got me there? I don't road-hunt so I'll have to rely on your experiences.

Are they also problematic with spot-lights?

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You act like they spin with the lightest touch. I have used every type dial out there. People who shoot a bunch of long range train themselves to check those knobs before every shot. I cannot say that I have ever had an issue with a cds inadvertently turning.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used that example to demonstrate that for some folks, a rifle is a constant companion, with them all year long. It needs to work everyday, and doesn't get babied. It may be cleaned once every 5 years, and live in a pickup when it's not being carried.....exposed to extremes of hot and cold, with kids and dogs climbing over it, food spilled on it, gear dumped on it, and basically be treated like a tool. If it randomly re-zeroes itself without warning, it's useless.

shooting coyotes on your own property to prevent stock loss, and for profit on their hides is not "road hunting". It's an essential part of ranch life, and something that happens hundreds of times everyday across the West.

Here's another example for those who may only use their rifles two weeks out of the year:

You're sneaking up through the junipers to get to the top of a ridge. Suddenly, a 30" Mule Deer busts out of the brush in front of you. He stops at the top of the ridge 200 yards off, just long enough for you to unsling your rifle, drop into a kneeling position, and fire. Oops, somewhere along the way, the brush turned your CDS turret. You miss the deer, and he's gone forever.

Of course, you could have reached back and checked your turret every five steps to make sure it's still on....but a better idea is to have a reliable turret.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As for spot-lights, in Montana they are a worthwhile, perfectly legal means of non-game predator control.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,908
Posts18,479,434
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.