Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
folks tend to way over analyze things. [bleep] the 'spicy overtones with a hint of chocolate and maple'. laugh

I like Old Fitzgerald above all others.
Yessir.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Steelhead, I see where you also have Four Roses Small Batch in your photo. That's one that I like. I just bought another bottle of that yesterday. Haven't opened it yet. I've heard lots of great things about Pappy Van Winkle. I haven't been able to find it on a shelf yet. I asked about it and George T Stagg yesterday at the liquor store and they had it in and it sold out very quickly. When I find it, I'll buy it. Bourbon is getting too popular!!

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/05/13.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PWN
Bushmills Black.

Perry

That's my favorite Irish whisky - - - so far.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
folks tend to way over analyze things. [bleep] the 'spicy overtones with a hint of chocolate and maple'. laugh

Why let flavor get in the way? There's always vodka. wink

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by snubbie
Well here's a hint.

You don't DRINK good cognac, you EXPERIENCE it.

rye? leather? tobacco? vanilla? dried fruit? humm...

Never really got into Cognac. I do have a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP that was given to me and I'll give it another go sometime.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by PWN
Bushmills Black.

Perry

Right now, I'd say my favorite Irish is Redbreast.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1 Buffalo Trace
2 Elijah Craig 12 Year small batch
3 Eagle Rare

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Raeford
Knob Creek and W Turkey 81.

I like mine a tad sweet.

Fine bourbons indeed but I prefer the WT 101 to the 81. More alcohol = more flavor. If it's too hot, I prefer to water it down myself rather than have the distillery do it for me.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by temmi
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by teal
Any I have this season will be Pendleton. I've tried various scotches and while good, just not for me. I think because I've a bit of a sweet tooth.

The scotch I tried was the Glenlivet 18 and Balvenie DoubleWood 12.

Nice - just not my cup of tea.
All Yankees seem to prefer Scotch. Just an observation. Personally, I think Scotch sucks. No offense intended.

I a native borne Texican� and I drink Scotch and Irish Whiskey.

Snake
I wouldn't admit to that.

I know lots of us Yankees that prefer bourbon to scotch. I like both equally well. Such generalizations usually aren't accurate or useful

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wild Turkey 101 warmed hot by the sun.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Why let flavor get in the way? There's always vodka. wink

Some vodka actually has a flavor (and I'm not talking flavored vodka which is garbage - same goes for flavored whiskey) but a vodka that is pot distilled (double distilled) actually has some very delicate flavors. A local craft distillery makes a pot distilled vodka (Peace Vodka) that I actually like quite a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim Beam Devil's Cut, hold the water and ice.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crown Royal on the rocks with a dash of water.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I tried the Devil's Cut last year and didn't hate it but it was only just ok for me. I hear you about the ice. For those who drink whiskey on the rocks try just adding a little bit of water if you want to take some heat out of it. Ice just keeps the volatile aromas from fully being experienced. Remember much of our taste involves our sense of smell so we want to encourage those aromas and not suppress them by chilling our whiskey. I used to drink whiskey on the rocks too, I enjoy it so much more neat or with that little bit of water (never add or use chlorinated water, it taints the flavor).

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Laphroaig 10year single malt scotch is delicious. It was only $43 in Arizona so I bought some for friends. That's what my wife thinks anyway. I bought some Buffalo Trace too to try and it's not bad at all for the price.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by PWN
Bushmills Black.

Perry

Right now, I'd say my favorite Irish is Redbreast.

I've seen that on the shelves, been meaning to try that. I have a buddy that prefers Irish whiskey. Maybe I'll buy it for him and have a little sample myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ScopeBite416

prolly pretty good, but considering I'd have to wait till freakin June to take a sip, I reckon I'm gonna have to set mine by the wood stove! cry

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kend
Laphroaig 10year single malt scotch is delicious. It was only $43 in Arizona so I bought some for friends. That's what my wife thinks anyway. I bought some Buffalo Trace too to try and it's not bad at all for the price.

You like a lot of peat smoke and iodine flavors in your whiskey I see. I haven't had the Laphroaig but I have tried the Talisker and decided that, for me, that a lot of peat is not what I'm looking for. I do know that a lot of scotch drinkers love their peat monsters. Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon. It's in my rotation. Interesting thing I heard about Laphroaig is that it was the only whiskey allowed to be sold in the US during prohibition. It was sold in pharmacies for medicinal purposes. It's taste was so strong that he gov't didn't think anyone would drink it for recreational purposes.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by ScopeBite416

prolly pretty good, but considering I'd have to wait till freakin June to take a sip, I reckon I'm gonna have to set mine by the wood stove! cry

Yeah, letting it sit our will let some of the alcohol evaporate off and take some of the burn away but leaves the flavor behind. Letting strong whiskey to sit in a glass for a while before drinking it is good thing - for those with the patience to wait.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as to what I'll be drinking, just run of the mill stuff

Woodford reserve

Knob creek,

maybe some Basil, was big on it for awhile, but then not, but finished off a bottle with the neighbor the other night and tasted pretty danged good

buffalo trace

pendleton

I buy the last two by the six pack, cause like momma taught me, it's on SALE when you do so

I swear I love that woman, and even more now that she enjoys a good whiskey by our campfires.

we got a new Brown Jug in town that's humongous, looking forward to seeing what they have for selection

I don't care for ice nor water in my whiskey, like it out of a glass, but in the garage or on the trail straight outa the bottle works too

hey boys I tried some of that Evan Williams ? you boy's reco'ed, and by golly, I believe it's supplanted old R&R as my bush and traveling whiskey

not bad stuff at all from a plastic bottle

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.