-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 45 1 2 42 43 44 45
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[bleep]. I though you meant evolution proof, like "bullet proff".

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I put as much stock into the bible and it's creation story as I do the native American belief that the world was created on the back of a giant sea turtle, or, that I will be reincarnated as a jersey cow. Religion is just stuff made up by various cultures to explain those things we didn't know or couldn't understand. As we started to learn things thru science, little by little, fairy tales we told ourselves became replaced with verifiable, explainable truths. (Well for some of us.) The more we will learn, the less need we'll have (hopefully) for stories and fairy tales. What fairly tales we are told is more a function of where we were born than any truth contained therein.

Certain men in history found religion to be a great concept that can be used to control and predict other people's behavior. When encountering a person we didn't know, how best to prevent them from taking your life, stealing your stuff, or screwing your wife than to create the concept of a god that disapproves of these things and will punish you for eternity for doing any of that. The trick was getting people to believe in your god. Lots of wars were and are being fought over that. All non-sense. But how to get people to believe this non-sense without any proof - ah faith. It's true because it was written into these books. See I went up to this mountain and there was this burning bush. Come on! Really? Religion is all about control, getting people to behave the way someone wanted others to behave.

I.D. is just another way to get otherwise would-be free-thinking people to buy into some fairly tale religious control system. "How did I get here?" I'm here because my parents had sex. From witnessing the experience of others I know someday I'll die. "What will happen to me when I die?" I'll just cease to be. That is all and I don't need fairy tales to sugar coat that.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
billhilly,

I read somewhere that "Old earth creationists must twist the bible to fit the evidence whereas the young earth creationists must twist the evidence to fit the bible." Seems about right.

Evidence like the recession of the moon's orbit?
Evidence like the the chemicals in the ocean?
Evidence like carbon 14 in all fossils, fossils fuels, diamonds, petrified wood, etc?
Evidence like the accumulation rate of mutations in the human genome?
Evidence like marine fossils on Mt Everest?
Evidence like huge folded strata with no breaks?
Evidence like comets?
Evidence like the half life of the earths magnetism?
Evidence like moonquakes?

Evolutionists like to talk about how many more evolutionists there are over the number of creationist. Does that hold true for evidence? There is about ten time more evidence for a young earth than there is for an old earth. The Bible believer need not be embarrassed by his accepting God's Word the way it is written.

I believe I've already address everyone of these except Moonquakes.

Moonquakes can be explained by tidal stresses and by lunar contraction (due to the highlands gradually sinking). Moonquakes, in fact, provide evidence that the moon has a solid core, consistent with its old age. There is no evidence for recent lava flows not associated with meteor impacts. Outgassing is consistent with an old moon. It can take a long time for gasses to work their way to the surface.

Thanks for the new objection.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The_Real_Hawkeye,

You're taking a very sloppy perspective on God, The_Real_Hawkeye. Like I said, from God's perspective, all was complete the moment he contemplated creation. The fact that from our perspective (being creatures limited by time and space) it took six twenty-four hours is the point. God's Word is for men to understand, not God. God does deceive those who wish to believe a lie. Do you want a verse for that?
The problem comes when you attempt to make the Bible a science text from which you think you're meant to derive scientific facts. When you do that you're taking statements that weren't intended to impart scientific knowledge and reading into them your predisposed viewpoint vis-a-vis scientific questions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HugAJackass,

And this is where you always run into problems. You become arrogant, condescending, and rude. It's not conducive to civil discourse. Funny seeing you speak for others...

Sorry. That is not my intent.

Nothing I said counters what you've just submitted. I absolutely believe that the Scripture wasn't kidding when Jesus says, "I am the light of the world."

Good. That's not what we are arguing here.

My comment, if you'd lay down the attitude, was a counter to the concept that "morning" and "evening" referred to the rising, and setting of the sun as was referred to in the quote...

For the first four days of creation there was no rising of the sun.

I wasn't finished. I don't know hat happened for this post to go when it did.

Last edited by Ringman; 12/04/13.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antlers,

Is it your assertion that if folks don't accept your belief that the earth is only 6000 years old...then they are rejecting God's word...?

You don't get it. I didn't even get a GED till I was fifty-one years old. I accept what educated people teach me supported with evidence. If people don't accept God's Word then they are rejecting it. Jesus says there is no middle ground. You are either with Him or against Him.

You put up some good arguments for a guy with just a GED.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
[bleep]. I though you meant evolution proof, like "bullet proff".

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8YX-gqRdK_8[/video]

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HugAJackass,

I will try to pick up where I left off.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to give you a lesson on tense as the languages use them. For example, did you know that "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." is incorrect because of the use of the english word "a". Greek sentence structure doesn't even contain that option. That's why when Mormans attempt to change "The Word was with God, and the Word was God" into "The Word was with God, and the Word was a God."

This has nothing to do with our conversation. You are bringing Greek. Genesis was written in Hebrew.

You dare to say that I don't believe God's word. Not only do I believe it, I care enough to study enough to know what was originally said. I could make the argument that you reject the original inspired Word of God by neglecting the original languages, but that would make me like you. I don't know your heart, so I can't make such asinine assumptions.

Then why are you having so much trouble understanding what God's Word says?

Several modern English translations, such as the King James Bible, were based off of the Latin Vulgate Bible by Jerome. That has been proven over and over to be one of the worst works of translation ever conducted.

Fortunately, God is bigger than our misconceptions and uses His Rhema through the Holy Spirit to guide people through the Scripture, rather than relying on man's fallible mind.

Fortunately I use the New American Standard Bible and the New King James Version.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HAJ
Several modern English translations, such as the King James Bible, were based off of the Latin Vulgate Bible by Jerome. That has been proven over and over to be one of the worst works of translation ever conducted.
Jerome was fluent in all the original languages.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HugAJackass,

You should probably read up on the various DIFFERENT languages used in the references you are giving before you say that I don't know what I'm talking about....

You also need to reread what I've written about this. I've already answered all those questions....

I discussed this at length with a fellow who can read both the Hebrew and the Greek. What I posted came right from him. His credentials consist of, among other things, a doctorate in biblical philosophy. He has no problem accepting six solar twenty-four days for creation. He also quoted several Jewish rabbis who agree with his understanding that God's Word means six regular days. They still believe in evolution and millions of years.

And?

I've done the same with numerous PHD's in these languages as well. Some, I've had the honor of studying under. They would disagree with your guys. What's your point?

I also have worked with nonreligious linguist that specialize in these languages as well, that support what I've put forth here.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Exactly! We use the ones who agree with us!

You are making my point! Thank you.

No, we should listen to a variety of opinions while forming our own opinion.

I don't think so. You still seem to be portraying Ph.D's and even people with Master degrees as some sort of gods of knowledge.

Last edited by Notropis; 12/04/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper

Fortunately, God is bigger than our misconceptions and uses His Rhema through the Holy Spirit to guide people through the Scripture, rather than relying on man's fallible mind.

I went for the pretest because I had no idea where I might be deficient. The lady gave me a test and waited for a couple minutes till it was straight up 6PM. That was for ease of timing. At 6:40PM another woman came in and looked at my test.
"What time did you start?" she asked
"The other lady started me at six" I told her.
"No you didn't! she angrily exclaimed.
The other lady came to the table.
"What time did you start this man?" she ask still a little annoyed.
"I started him at 6PM," she explained.

The second lady snached up my test, looked though it and threw it down and with a great deal of annoyance informed me,
"You don't need to be here."

The first lady told me I was already on the third test. My answers looked good and I could leave.

I gotta go shave. You gentlemen enjoy.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HugAJackass,

And this is where you always run into problems. You become arrogant, condescending, and rude. It's not conducive to civil discourse. Funny seeing you speak for others...

Sorry. That is not my intent.

Forgiven. Thank you.

My comment, if you'd lay down the attitude, was a counter to the concept that "morning" and "evening" referred to the rising, and setting of the sun as was referred to in the quote...

For the first four days of creation there was no rising of the sun.

That was my point.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HugAJackass,

I will try to pick up where I left off.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to give you a lesson on tense as the languages use them. For example, did you know that "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." is incorrect because of the use of the english word "a". Greek sentence structure doesn't even contain that option. That's why when Mormans attempt to change "The Word was with God, and the Word was God" into "The Word was with God, and the Word was a God."

This has nothing to do with our conversation. You are bringing Greek. Genesis was written in Hebrew.

I'm well aware of the fact that Genesis was written in Hebrew. That's what I've been saying this whole time. You challenged my use of the Hebrew words by asking if Jesus was buried for three days. The Gospels were written in koine Greek.

That's why I pointed out that you were asking about different languages completely. You basically asked me to answer for the Hebrew usage of a word by using Greek.

I didn't bring up Greek until after you did, and I did it to demonstrate how words don't directly translate.

You dare to say that I don't believe God's word. Not only do I believe it, I care enough to study enough to know what was originally said. I could make the argument that you reject the original inspired Word of God by neglecting the original languages, but that would make me like you. I don't know your heart, so I can't make such asinine assumptions.

Then why are you having so much trouble understanding what God's Word says?

It seems that I'm not the one with this problem here...

Fortunately I use the New American Standard Bible and the New King James Version.

Good, me too. Those happen to be decent attempts at directly translating word for word. The problem is that languages don't translate perfectly word for word.

Vernacular usage is often lost. That's why using a translation like the NIV (which does not attempt word for word, but focuses more on vernacular usage) along with your NASB is always a good way to study a subject.

Still, nothing beats the original inspired language. To say that God's Word emphatically says something, when you neglect what the original languages actually say is silly.

Why do you neglect what God inspired the original authors to write?

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
billhilly,

Then how is it that so many sincere people come to so many different conclusions about it? Each one feels that they are correct in their mutually exclusive interpretations.

Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths."

The confusion comes because people reject God's Word. Antelope_sniper has no trouble understanding the clear teaching and he has no ax to grind in this Bible argument.

That was intended as a reply to TRH. I actually agree with you (and AS I think) that the Bible means what it says.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by billhilly
I read somewhere that "Old earth creationists must twist the bible to fit the evidence whereas the young earth creationists must twist the evidence to fit the bible." Seems about right.
That my friend, is one of the best quotes one the subject I've ever seen.

Agreed.

Thanks. Wish I could take credit for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HAJ

No, he was fluent in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic he was only familiar with those languages.

In fairness though, part of the issue with the Vulgate is the material that Jerome had available to work with.

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HAJ

No, he was fluent in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic he was only familiar with those languages.

In fairness though, part of the issue with the Vulgate is the material that Jerome had available to work with.
Setting aside for the moment your disparagement of Jerome's mastery of all the original languages, the only edition of the Old Testament recognized as authoritative by the Eastern Orthodox Churches is the Septuagint, originally written in Greek by Jewish scholars, all masters of ancient Hebrew. Jerome used it extensively. It was the accepted study Bible for the Jews of Palestine at the time of Christ. Hebrew was only at that time read ceremonially by ordinary Jews (i.e., non-scholars). Christ quoted the Septuagint whenever he quoted what we call the Old Testament.

I'd venture to say that these facts give some degree of authority to the Septuagint, and therefore also to the Vulgate and the King James.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerome's mastery of ALL of the original languages!? laugh

Okay, yeah we'll set that aside...

The things that you say about the Septuagint is absolutely correct. The problem is that you understanding of who Jerome was and what he used is not accurate.

Indeed, Jerome was a master of the Greek language. There is no contesting that. This was one of the reasons that he was chosen. When the Roman Catholic cleric Jerome was commissioned by the Bishop of Rome to produce a new Latin version, he wrote a letter in 383 A. D. to the person commissioning the translation stating: "Thou compellest me to make a new work out of an old so that after so many copies of the Scriptures have been dispersed throughout the whole world I am as it were to occupy the post of arbiter, and seeing they differ from one another am to determine which of them are in agreement with the original Greek. If they maintain that confidence is to be reposed in the Latin exemplars, let them answer which, for there are almost as many copies of the translations as manuscripts. But if the truth is to be sought from the majority, why not rather go back to the Greek original, and correct the blunders which have been made by incompetent translators, made worse rather then better by the presumption of unskillful correctors, and added to or altered by careless scribes." It was Jerome's contention that in his day a number of manuscripts existed that had been "altered, " "corrected," and otherwise corrupted by "careless scribes" and "incompetent translators," and the only way to insure the new Latin translation was to be accurate was to allow him to go to the majority of the Greek manuscripts that were in common usage in his time. Unfortunately, has Roman masters did not allow him to do so, and his Vulgate was simply a revision of the already existing Latin versions using the Western textform. Not some translation of the Septuagint.

To modernize this in a way that modern Bible readers can understand what happened, let's consider the various modern versions of the Bible that are paraphrased editions rather than directly translated editions. Such as The Message. Nobody would suggest that this version is a good one to use for Biblical study as it's an attempt at English vernacular.

Vernacular is another way of saying "common speak". It's the modern localized lingo used in the streets, not academic at all. This is important to understand because it helps understand the significance of Western textform. The Greek language at that time was largely split into two major dialects, Alexanderian, and Byzantinian. Think American English versus British English. For us, the word "boot" can carry different meanings. It can be a noun in the case of it being an article of clothing in American English, and the trunk of a car in British English. It can also be a verb as in, "I'll boot his ass out of here!" The Western Textform was written in Byzantinian Greek, not Alexanderian as the Septuagint was.

On top of that there is the fun use of koine Greek which is a vernacular version of Alexanderian Greek. This is what the four Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were primarily written in. One such way you can see this is with the use of the word baptizo which is one of the words from which we get our English word baptized. The literal translation means "immersed" but the actual cultural use was a slang term used by fishermen meaning "the ship is in the water and the water is in the ship".

Jerome wasn't allowed to do as you submit and extensively use the Septuagint, so instead he went to the personal Library of Pamphilus of Caesarea and extensively used the "Old Latin" Bible which closely mirrored the koine Greek Textus Receptus.

So, what you have is the original, written in vernacular of one language, translated into academia, and then Jerome shows up and translates that into a more modern Latin vernacular.

Everyone should see the problems with that process as even Jerome protested it. He was under orders though...

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey great we are back on track. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 44 of 45 1 2 42 43 44 45

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,847
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.