Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lt. Col Robert Bateman published an essay in Esquire in which he calls for complete gun control. After carefully considering his 6 proposals, I would like to invite Col Bateman to go [bleep] himself.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bateman-on-guns-120313

1. The only guns permitted will be the following:
a. Smoothbore or Rifled muzzle-loading blackpowder muskets. No 7-11 in history has ever been held up with one of these.
b. Double-barrel breech-loading shotguns. Hunting with these is valid.
c. Bolt-action rifles with a magazine capacity no greater than five rounds. Like I said, hunting is valid. But if you cannot bring down a defenseless deer in under five rounds, then you have no fking reason to be holding a killing tool in the first place.

2. We will pry your gun from your cold, dead, fingers. That is because I am willing to wait until you die, hopefully of natural causes. Guns, except for the three approved categories, cannot be inherited. When you die your weapons must be turned into the local police department, which will then destroy them. (Weapons of historical significance will be de-milled, but may be preserved.)

3. Police departments are no longer allowed to sell or auction weapons used in crimes after the cases have been closed. (That will piss off some cops, since they really need this money. But you know what they need more? Less violence and death. By continuing the process of weapon recirculation, they are only making their jobs -- or the jobs of some other cops -- harder.)

4. We will submit a new tax on ammunition. In the first two years it will be 400 percent of the current retail cost of that type of ammunition. (Exemptions for the ammo used by the approved weapons.) Thereafter it will increase by 20 percent per year.

5. We will initiate a nationwide "buy-back" program, effective immediately, with the payouts coming from the DoD budget. This buy-back program will start purchasing weapons at 200 percent of their face value the first year, 150 percent the second year, 100 percent the third year. Thereafter there will be a 10 year pause, at which point the guns can be sold to the government at 10 percent of their value for the next 50 years.

6. The major gun manufactures of the United States, less those who create weapons for the federal government and the armed forces, will be bought out by the United States of America, for our own damned good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm from the government and I'm here to help blah blah blah

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There is a lot of "WE" in that article...a shame that same lot of "WE" do not understand why you lot actually have that second amendment, which is basically to stop the "WE" users.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fail to see how this is evidence that the military would turn on us, but Ok...

Just another antigun nut case with a piece of brass stuck to his chest.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who is this Bateman douche?

I see, a liberal douche with a blog.

Last edited by Mac84; 12/06/13.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Read the article. Then read the first paragraph of the "Dick Act" which he misquoted. The "militia" is not just the National Guard. It is also the "unorganized militia" which it also defines.

That guy is an anti-gun idiot that has no real idea of what he is talking about.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I fail to see how this is evidence that the military would turn on us, but Ok...

under the current regime though, this the sort that will get rapid advancement. Don't forget that hussein has fired hundreds of officers that don't meet his standards.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"No 7-11 in history has ever been held up with one of these."

What a stupid justification. Years ago the local 7-11 had a slot in the counter. The clerk would drop any bills $20 and over straight into a safe under the counter top.

One day a guy walks in with a running chain saw, threatens everyone with the saw and proceeds to cut the safe out of the counter.

I guess the Lt Col better outlaw chain saws too.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Yes, I overdid the headline but you do have to wonder why a field grade officer is comfortable publishing this kind of screed in Esquire. Maybe he's doesn't care how it may affect his career or maybe he thinks it won't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Why would someone put there rank in an e-mail address? Unless you are retired then the (R) goes after it. I doubt this guy is LTC anything, probably uses it to make money.
IF he is LTC, then he should return to his original Oath and re-read the part about "protect and defend the constitution...."

Doug Hancock
US Army, CW3(R)

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a better idea. Build more jails. Incarceration of criminals should be quick, and the maximum penalty. If you run out of room in the jails, build more of them. No parole, no getting out on good behavior, no cable tv, no air conditioning, prisoners do all the work they can to support themselves. (gee - like Arpaio does..) The cost of jails should not even be considered. They are necessary when you have so many criminals. I mean - if it just saves one life....To paraphrase a popular analogy, we can get rid of the obesity problem in America by outlawing forks.That would work just as well as trying to control crime by outlawing guns.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Concentration camps would be much more efficient. We could rent out the slave labor to private companies or to build infrastructure. Go USA!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chris112
Read the article. Then read the first paragraph of the "Dick Act" which he misquoted. The "militia" is not just the National Guard. It is also the "unorganized militia" which it also defines.

That guy is an anti-gun idiot that has no real idea of what he is talking about.
I guarantee they will find plenty like him to promote and place in charge of any such operation should they decide to implement it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by chris112
I guarantee they will find plenty like him to promote and place in charge of any such operation should they decide to implement it.

Well, as long as you personally will guarantee it, I will feel fear.

Seriously, checked the author's bio. He's a writer, and he writes about writing. He exists mainly to be read, and that's about it.

No reflection on the overall military. At all.

The fact that he is a light bird only means there are douches in the service, just like anywhere else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just another liberal dog licking his master's hand.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dear Mr. Bateman:

You're dealing with a dichotomy in the demographic, and it's going to sink your plan.

There are certainly a large number of people in this country who seem to be congenitally conditioned, after some high-profile tragic event, to shriek, "Take our guns! Take our liberties! Take our privacy! Please! Just keep us s-a-a-a-a-a-fe!" There are frequently even enough of these people to give politicians enough cover to pass the laws to that effect that they've been keeping around in drawers somewhere against the next high-profile tragic event.

Your reasoning appeals to these people, and you will probably do very well among them.

But there's a problem: these people don't have any guns--or, really, any liberty or privacy, for that matter--to take. If you're going to actually take liberty and privacy and guns, you're going to need to get them from a whole different group of people, people who care very little what politicians have to say about such things and even less about what you have to say about them.

And this problem has three aspects that's going to make it completely intractable to you.

First, these people in the second group are the ones who have the guns. You can persuade the first group that the second group should give up their guns with a mere run-of-the-mill atrocity; but there's very little that will persuade the second group that they should give up their own guns. Very few of the second group will dutifully toddle down to the sheriff's office and turn in their guns; they'll make you come get them.

Second, even though these people are in the minority, there are an awful lot of them. An awful lot. If you scrape both the sides and the bottom of the barrel, you can come up with enough cops to do your gun confiscations that you'll have one cop for every 120 or so gun owners. And that 1:120 ratio, in addition to being wildly optimistic, works only right at the beginning; not very far down the line the ratio will be much smaller, both because a significant number of those cops will become leaky and floppy and hard to keep upright, and because even more of them will decide that they have better things to do than be ordered into the line of fire for you.

And third, you're floating this idea during the administration of Barack Obama. Many people have long anticipated the genesis of somebody like you out of that administration, and have therefore been buying guns and ammunition at rates rarely or never seen before in this country. The second demographic group is still a significant minority compared to the first demographic group, but it's growing now instead of shrinking. The publication of your article will make it grow even faster.

So...today isn't your day. You should wait for A) a Republican Presidency, B) a time when you have more actual coercive power over civilians than you do now, and C) a time when you can implement this plan rather than just crowing about it. The people who might be persuaded by an article like this are useless to you, and it will serve only to warn and organize the people who are dangerous to you.

You still won't get our guns, if you wait for such a time, but at least you'll probably get to kill more of us before we get you.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Barak
Dear Mr. Bateman:

You're dealing with a dichotomy in the demographic, and it's going to sink your plan.

There are certainly a large number of people in this country who seem to be congenitally conditioned, after some high-profile tragic event, to shriek, "Take our guns! Take our liberties! Take our privacy! Please! Just keep us s-a-a-a-a-a-fe!" There are frequently even enough of these people to give politicians enough cover to pass the laws to that effect that they've been keeping around in drawers somewhere against the next high-profile tragic event.

Your reasoning appeals to these people, and you will probably do very well among them.

But there's a problem: these people don't have any guns--or, really, any liberty or privacy, for that matter--to take. If you're going to actually take liberty and privacy and guns, you're going to need to get them from a whole different group of people, people who care very little what politicians have to say about such things and even less about what you have to say about them.

And this problem has three aspects that's going to make it completely intractable to you.

First, these people in the second group are the ones who have the guns. You can persuade the first group that the second group should give up their guns with a mere run-of-the-mill atrocity; but there's very little that will persuade the second group that they should give up their own guns. Very few of the second group will dutifully toddle down to the sheriff's office and turn in their guns; they'll make you come get them.

Second, even though these people are in the minority, there are an awful lot of them. An awful lot. If you scrape both the sides and the bottom of the barrel, you can come up with enough cops to do your gun confiscations that you'll have one cop for every 120 or so gun owners. And that 1:120 ratio, in addition to being wildly optimistic, works only right at the beginning; not very far down the line the ratio will be much smaller, both because a significant number of those cops will become leaky and floppy and hard to keep upright, and because even more of them will decide that they have better things to do than be ordered into the line of fire for you.

And third, you're floating this idea during the administration of Barack Obama. Many people have long anticipated the genesis of somebody like you out of that administration, and have therefore been buying guns and ammunition at rates rarely or never seen before in this country. The second demographic group is still a significant minority compared to the first demographic group, but it's growing now instead of shrinking. The publication of your article will make it grow even faster.

So...today isn't your day. You should wait for A) a Republican Presidency, B) a time when you have more actual coercive power over civilians than you do now, and C) a time when you can implement this plan rather than just crowing about it. The people who might be persuaded by an article like this are useless to you, and it will serve only to warn and organize the people who are dangerous to you.

You still won't get our guns, if you wait for such a time, but at least you'll probably get to kill more of us before we get you.

R_Bateman_LTChotmail.com

The above email address was at the bottom of the article, so instead of waxing lyrical and grandstanding for the rest of us why don't you reply to the man himself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If this individual was ashamed of how he made a living, killing and training to kill people, he would have quit and joined a monastary praying and raising grapes.
Just another hypocrit.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because I don't give two whoops for him. He's an officer who wants to become a politician. A lower form of pond scum would be hard to find.

You can email it to him, if you like--or post it as a comment to his article. Claim it as your own, even; I don't mind.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Barak
Because I don't give two whoops for him. He's an officer who wants to become a politician. A lower form of pond scum would be hard to find.

You can email it to him, if you like--or post it as a comment to his article. Claim it as your own, even; I don't mind.

They are your words fella...you stand by them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.