Campfire Kahuna
W
Any boys like to play with trains?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No room for a layout but I sure hope to see some pics.

Denny.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I don't have the money or the time but I'd sure like to see pictures too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I packed up my Marklin set up in 1959 and have not set up since. I've taken the engines out of the box a couple of times since.
Maybe I should sell it.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some tracks from a train I had as a kid if any one wants to buy em, there probly 50 years old and all metal.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Model railroading was huge when I was a kid; but our home did not have room. Then rock, pot, technology and that disease we call liberalism came along and it took a slide. I really don't know why young folks don't get into these hobbies much anymore, except that they have their faces in tech and video games too much.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You might call this a short line railway.
As has been noted, it takes a lot of room to run a train.
This is just sitting.
I have added an engine since this picture. [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a cousin whose husband was a totally committed model railroader. He was disabled from a railroad job and his father and father in law were both engineers so you might say it was in his blood. He graduated before his death to the scale that actually made steam and you could ride. His engine was about 3 ft long and they towed it everywhere to meets. The best model layout I have ever seen is the stretch of the transcontinental railroad displayed at the train museum in the old depot in Ogden, Utah. The museum is a great one and the display outstanding as it represents an actual scale section of real track and winds throughout the museum. Incidentally the second floor of this museum houses the John M Browning museum with his original gunshop re-created. It houses many prototypes and a fine collection of functional 'Miniture' firearms belonging to one of his sons.It's a half day visit at the least.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My Lionel set is in storage. I have the big locomotive that whistled and blew smoke. As a kid, it always got set up in the basement on a sheet of plywood with the crossings, town, side-dump car, etc. I'm lucky the loco still works. I got it going fast enough it rolled off the track to the floor several times.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an old HO layout boxed up. Most are from my childhood. My son has a Lionel O gauge set that I've expanded for him. He plays with it, integrating his other toys. We always have it out at Christmas.
I think that the takeover and focus going to "model railroading" that adults use instead of "toy trains" that kids can play with has had something to do with its lapse in popularity. As with shooting, hunting and fishing, each generation has to spend the time to pass on the joy of the hobby or it grows old and dies.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know a man who spent almost a year building a two story post and beam barn with a two million dollar price tag. The barn was just for a model train layout that covered both stories. I have not seen it but for two million just for the housing it must be one heck of a setup.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here is an outfit that specializes in them in the Rogue Valley in Southern Oregon... they ship all over the world, with their biggest customers and customer volume is in Europe...

With offers from folks to Boy Scout and especially Cub Scout troops, we have had invitations to take the boys to people's homes to see their train sets...

these are grandpa aged retirees, that love to show off their train sets...

we have taken kids to see guys who have their entire yard set up as a large diorama with larger scale train sets... to other guys who have built retirement homes and have smaller train sets going all thru their homes, via almost every room... "tunnels" going thru the walls... some of them on the floor and some of them entirely on shelving near the ceiling thru out the home..

bottom line, have seen a batch of guys who have invited the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts in to see their train sets....as an adult you ask them how much have invested in it all... I've heard figures from 100,000 to 250,000 bucks...

so some of these guys are HEAVILY into Model Trains...

even the small N thru Z scale trains from Micro Trains, check out the prices on that stuff! but you look at it under a magnifying glass and it is amazing the minute detail they can put into them...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A very impressive layout was in a bank lobby in downtown Cincinnati that I saw one Christmas while visiting my MIL.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got some vintage American Flyer stuff that'll go to the grandkids when I'm gone but in a few weeks I'll be setting up a Frontier Locomotive set my folks bought me in '58 for the little guys to play with around Christmas.This has been a family tradition since my kids were little.

Thought I had a pic..my two yr old grandson's first engineering lesson. smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 12/06/13.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
anyone have a train going around their Christmas tree?

GOA
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No since I came down stairs Christmas morning a LONG, time ago, and my father was playing with my "O", scale Commodore Vanderbilt.
This picture is a "Z" scale. [Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I got into it I would have to buy one of these. Dad took me to see the last run of one when I was about 4. 1,000,000 + lbs on the rails. If you look up C&O H8 locomotives some sources list the weight less than that but Baldwin lied so they could get them delivered. The engineer's union sued because they were getting shorted on pay when they found out the true weight on drivers.

[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I set up 2 loops of 027 track on a hollow core door, added some lighted ceramic buildings and a 4 ft fake tree. It's all in the big front window so it can be seen from the road. I'll get pictures and post them tomorrow.

I have over 22 boxes and storage containers full of train stuff, all O/027 size.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a fair HO setup in storage -- the robbers must have been pretty bummed when they ripped the corners off the cartons -- they didn't take anything.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 10 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,970
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.