Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok , so I got a cheapo HP Deskjet & I can scan pictures.

I am interested in scanning some old slides & negatives. I hear tell that there are scanners that can do negatives & turn them into pictures.

Anybody doing this , what kinda setup have you got ?

What is a decent/idiot proof scanner to get for doing slides & negatives ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are scanners made just to do slides that have auto feeders etc.., you can also scan slides on most regular scanners as well.

You can also ship them off to have them profesionally scanned which may be an option depending on how many you have.

I had some astrophotography slides from back in the day before digital cameras and just sent them off to a service to do even tho my regular scanner will do slides.

Last edited by NathanL; 12/07/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The dedicated slide and negative scanners are a bit pricey,or at least they were some time ago. Like most computer stuff, they have probably come down somewhat in price.

Unless you have quite a few to do, I would check out some of the professional services that will do it for a fee.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For slides & negatives, you need a scanner with a light in the cover instead of underneath. It throws the image down on the sensors in the bottom. I have a Canon MP980 that has lights both above and below so it does both slides and prints. Since slides & negs are so much smaller than prints, you also need it to be able to scan at a very high resolution, 1200 dpi or more, the more the better. Then they can be enlarged to print size with good detail.

Old slides can be a problem in that you have to thoroughly clean them off. As they age, the paper holders will start to deteriorate and will leave paper fibers on the pic. After the scan they'll show up as squiggly worms on the photo. They can be a pain to clean off the slides.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
For some of the HP's you can buy an adaptor for scanning slides and negatives.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I put a negative in my cheapo scanner

[Linked Image]

Scanned it to my computer

Took it to a website called Lunapic and inverted it.

This is the results

[Linked Image]

This is a picture of my grandparents. I am just guessing that picture dates to the 1940s , maybe '30s. I will have to show it to my Dad tomorrow.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there an inexpensive service that one can just send slides and prints to for digital media conversion?

Thanks!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got an Epson V500 scanner that does a good job on slides. It's also fairly cheap.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A scanner will pay for itself easily and you will be able to re-sell it if you no longer need it.

The dedicated negative/slide scanners are expensive and those that I looked at like the Nikon would be slow as chit scanning one frame at a time..

I started scanning hundreds of rolls of film negative and prints when I found the negatives MIA, using the Epson V500 mentioned by BrnBear above. It's a bad ass scanner, prints, slides, photos and targets too. The advantage is loading 5-6 strips of negatives at once.

I am not post-processing anything now, just making a digital copy for record.

If you are not up on post-processing, a scanning service may be the best choice. It adds up quickly and you need to factor in shipping and sending a batch of memories across the country and the potential for loss, even if most chit makes it to the destination.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have a pile of slides to scan, you have a full time winter project ahead of you. Scanners are slow, then you need a photo program to enlarge them. To do a bunch, you might find your time more important than the cost of having them done professionally.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Epson is a good choice. Nikon also.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sort of on topic but the HP printer/scanner I have has some really good software for enhancing faded color prints.

It does a surprisingly good job. It's time consuming but for special pics it's worth the effort.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you have a pile of slides to scan, you have a full time winter project ahead of you. Scanners are slow, then you need a photo program to enlarge them. To do a bunch, you might find your time more important than the cost of having them done professionally.

this, there is no fast way to do it and ive got some pretty good equipment at the paper.....it takes lots of time if you have very many slides or negatives....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
We took our slides to Costco and had them put on a CD

οΏ½Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perfect. Assuming they will do the same with prints. Was it expensive?

NM...just looked and it appears they don't but thanks for the slide tip. However, did find a service that will convert on average 1800 photos for $159. That''s not too bad. They do negatives as well. scanmyphotos.com

Thanks

Last edited by byc; 12/08/13.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
geez they must have different equipment than i do cause even paying myself minimum wage i couldnt do 1800 for 3 times that

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have a big scanner with a coursel attachment that they load up and it drops down and scans one and goes onto the next one, at least the place that did mine did.

Otto is my co-pilot.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got an Epson V500 and it works great. I prefer it to sending pictures or negatives/slides to Costco.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My plan was to scan over the winter or when the weather was crappy but I have not scanned too many this year. I checked a few commercial scanners for pricing and decided to buy the Epson.

Looking back at my notes, pricing was about 400.00/50 rolls 36 exp negatives or slides.

Dave

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have about 15 projects like that just waiting in the wings. Can't seem too ever get to them. I figure they'll get me through retirement, which is a ways off. :-)

Go Nats!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.