Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Gamo Whisper with Crosman Nitro Piston;

I own a couple of air rifle but have no great knowledge about them.

I gather that the gas pistons are a pretty new idea that gives some advantages including a noise reduction.

I looked on Pyramid Air's sight and this looked like a good deal.

If this isn't, does anyone have an opinion on the best .22 gas piston rifle under $500.00?

Thanks,

Gary

GB1

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Gas rams have been around since the late 80's being developed by Theoben in the UK. It's only until recently that Crosman started selling them that they became popular to the masses. A gas ram is basically the same as a springer, difference is that they aren't powered by a metal spring but by compressed air. Also, a metal spring will have a life to them unlike a ram where there is nothing to wear out except the o rings sealing the ram. (rams can, and do leak out) As far as noise goes on a rammed gun, most of the noise that comes from the gun is mechanical. The piston being let go and stopping in the compression chamber is where the noise comes from, not the muzzle. Over all, it's just a personal preference as to what kind of power plant you want, a spring or a ram. I've owned my 2 gas rammed guns (both are Theoben rams) for over 10 years now and love them. The power from each are very consistent to this day and haven't had any problems with either. But, choosing whether to shoot my tuned springers or my rams, I'll grab my springers first. Rams have a faster lock time, but they feel different compared to a smooth, nicely tuned springer. Like I said, it's a personal preference. If you ever get a chance to shoot both side by side, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Good luck in you choice.

S.W.A.G. it

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, 13 invisible), 983 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,922
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.