Print Thread
Hop To
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My son wants to bow hunt. I don't, but I am happy he wants to. I may start too, who knows. But I need you guys that do to recommend a good starter rig he can maybe grow into for a couple years. I don't want to spend a fortune, but want something that he can actually learn with. Thanks guys, mtmuley

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
MTMuley,

You might want to take a look at the Hoyt series of bows. I got my son a Hoyt compound a year ago and it is a really nice set up. The main reason I got it for him was the ability to increase both the draw length and draw weight as he grows. I think you'd be happy with this setup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Diamond Infinite Edge or Mission Craze. Both great bows that can get a kid started and stay right there with them till adulthood. Both great shooters. Both ultra adjustable. The Diamond run you around $349 for bow, sight, rest, quiver. Mission pkg around $550ish. Mission package accessories are a bit fancier but the Diamond is very serviceable for a beginner. Both tune extremely well

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is 12 in February. He has been shooting the mission craze for about 7 months. He is shooting effectively to 20 yards. I like that the bow will adjust for him well into his teens.

This was a solid investment for him.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Another vote for the Mission Craze

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With either bow, i suggest replacing the factory strings with a custom set. The Mission strings stretch pretty bad and the strings on the Diamond require a rubber tube to align the peep. Have done one Craze already and as mentioned in another thread here am awaiting a set for another.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My wifes Diamond Edge and a Mission Craze I did earlier this year

Custom Strings/Tuning
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've heard good things about the Edge and the Mission

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For good reason. Both great bows. The Edge offers a tad more adjustment in the weight range. But cant see where anyone could go wrong with either bow

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both of these are great bows and in my estimation the best options on the market.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I bit the bullet and bought my 10 year old daughter a Mission Archery Craze. She's a lefty, so that threw a wrench into finding a cheaper model. It also had to be pink. laugh

Total cost with good sights, rest, quiver, arrow, I was about $450 into it. It has a draw length from 19-29" and adjustable from 20-70#.

It's a real, real quiet, shoots smooth, and I like it as much as she does. She'll be able to use it as long as she wants to. If she "needs" a different one she can buy it. I'm going to get one for my son this summer for his birthday/Christmas this summer . not pink though. smile

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 57 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.